86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cant wait to see her in the water!!! Maybe I missed it, does she have a name yet?

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm so bummed out.... after filling my brand new Sei outdrive with gear oil the tiny weap hole on the starboard lower is leaking oil..... please tell me this is normal.... I was so down I had to take a charter in the bay to clear my head.... I didn't catch anything but a shaker so far and we probably gonna do one more drift... it's getting late

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Did you put in the small quad ring between the two halves when assembling it?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That's horrible Goldie. Send Justin, the tech at SEI an email. He gets them even on weekends - justin at sterndrive dot cc

Scott has a good idea as well. Gotta have that quad ring or it will dump half its oil. I'd drain the oil out, split the halves again and inspect everything. If it leaks so you can see it then it is something that should be obvious.

Good luck bud!

Rick

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you Scott and Rick, I'm pretty sure the quad ring is ok because I noticed that they adhesive that in place when they ship it, I cant imagine that I knocked it off. I'm on my way to the boat to drop the lower and double check

Gonna email Justin before I leave though

I hope everyone has a safe wonderful memorial day!

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Also guys if I leave it in neutral can I start it to bleed out my trim pump and check my wiring, gauges, gas tank etc. Or should I wait and resolve the lower weap hole problem first?

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
blue sea is back ordered for the add a battery kit i want, so i wired up as much as i could. it should be operational at this point just will have to add the kit later when it becomes available ill snap some pics while im at the boat today

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i just thought of something.... im going to have to power the trim pump to lift the out drive to seperate the lower from upper...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
i just thought of something.... im going to have to power the trim pump to lift the out drive to seperate the lower from upper...

Do not take the lower only off while leaving the upper attached to boat. I would recommend you always take the entire outdrive off and make a slot type stand for it to store it and work on it.

Dropping an upper onto a lower in a stand is a snap. Raising a lower up onto a mounted upper is a nasty nightmare that often ends up with a damaged seal. Takes 5 minutes to remove an entire leg. And 15 to reinstall.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My alpha I gen I leaked out the weep hole as well when I was filling it. This was just after I changed the water pump. I had also changed the housing base. As it turns out, I ordered the wrong base, so the gasket didn't mate the housing properly causing gear lube to spill from the base into the water weep hole. Not saying this is your problem since you have a new lower, but something to look for when you split the halves.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do not take the lower only off while leaving the upper attached to boat. I would recommend you always take the entire outdrive off and make a slot type stand for it to store it and work on it.

Dropping an upper onto a lower in a stand is a snap. Raising a lower up onto a mounted upper is a nasty nightmare that often ends up with a damaged seal. Takes 5 minutes to remove an entire leg. And 15 to reinstall.
ok rick, i'll pull the whole out drive then seperate it after its off. i have a lil outdrive stand i built a while back. i sent justin an email and he emailed me back on a holiday!! after what i been through it made me feel good that he would take the time to reach out to me, he said this wasnt typical of thier drives and for me to call the warranty department tuesday morning. he also asked about the location just double checking what i sent him in the email.

When the drive arrived the upper had a big scratch scuff that they just painted over...
pHRoTUO.jpg

There was a few places that had chips of paint missing adjacent to the quad ring and the corner....
oYXTc0N.jpg

qHCdY6W.jpg

2hrTuHe.jpg

after spending $1600.00 i expected a lil more astetically & quality control from SEI, i probably could have lived with the cosmetic deficiencies albeit maybe begrudgently.... but when the gear oil started leaking out the weap hole on the lower i was kinda pissed, well more frustrated than anything. from my research only water is supposed to come out of that weap hole...

Ill let ya know what happens in the morning after i talk to the warranty department. I hope they are as kind as justin.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My alpha I gen I leaked out the weep hole as well when I was filling it. This was just after I changed the water pump. I had also changed the housing base. As it turns out, I ordered the wrong base, so the gasket didn't mate the housing properly causing gear lube to spill from the base into the water weep hole. Not saying this is your problem since you have a new lower, but something to look for when you split the halves.
thanks for the heads up, after i drain the oil completely, remove the out drive, ill seperate them and if i see anything odd ill post pics

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
a few random pics from the bay charter, had a blast even though i didnt catch anything i could keep, but a lil kid that was next to me and my brother landed a huge stripper!!! :D lil guy was so excited when he screamed "fish on!" he was a cool lil dude, was him, his dad, and his dad's dad, he brought it in all by himself, the deck hands netted it when it got close to the boat

X59VpA5.jpg

M7jZyTL.jpg

cYXdhE4.jpg

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I called SEI this morning and Justin had already been in contact with David in warranty. They were apologetic and assured my that this shouldn't have got passed quality control. They also stated the drive should not have been shipped like that. They are sending me a new upper for the gouge/scrape and a new lower for the leak along with a return label for the damaged drive.

SEI customer service is top notch and what a relief... Justin and David stand by there products. even though i gotta take that drive off and install the new one i would reccomend SEI customer service to everyone, now lets just hope thier product is as good as there customer service :watermelon: :D