86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Years ago I had taken a chunk out of the bottom skeg of my outdrive about 1/2 the size as yours. I filled the entire area with JB Weld and feathered it out on both sides of the drive and it lasted the last three years I owned the boat and is probably still holding. Like Wood says, the stuff is very durable and easy to shape and sand. Once I had it feathered in and painted you could not even tell it had been repaired. It makes me wonder if you would need any filler piece at all????

We'll soon find out :)

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After long consideration I felt like it was just too small to weld, I decided to run with 89 resorters suggestion to fill it in with JB.
20151205_120856_zpstb8bldee.jpg

The edge along the side that has the shark bite is not even. We clamped it between two pieces of steel and that straightened it out good enough for me.
20151205_185929_zpsb5so0dpl.jpg

Put divots to help give the JB something to grab onto.
20151205_191744_zpswwisbnqh.jpg

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I though I was gonna have to order this seal but it came with the water pump kit :D I could not figure out the name of the seal by looking at the mercruiserparts.com gear house exploded view.... I think its number 42 part number 25-30271 but im not sure :noidea:
20151206_172240_zpsqcz8cfjl.jpg

20151206_173342_zpsxwyzwkkz.jpg

20151206_173346_zpsbbk2fnea.jpg

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is my gastket surface clean enough? I think I can get it a lil better if I spend more time on it. Is there a tool I can get to clean the surface more easily?
20151206_180952_zpsgpp1v7w6.jpg

20151206_180959_zps4epbcekr.jpg

20151206_181042_zpswqvaqogc.jpg

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That pump base gasket surface looks great. It does not need to be a 'perfect' seal since there is only water on each side of it. That gasket just keeps the water pump closed. You do not want to sand and scrape a lot on an aluminum gasket surface - use a lot of restraint so you don't remove any aluminum material. Also - no gasket sealer. Again, no need as it doesn't keep water out or oil in.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That pump base gasket surface looks great. It does not need to be a 'perfect' seal since there is only water on each side of it. That gasket just keeps the water pump closed. You do not want to sand and scrape a lot on an aluminum gasket surface - use a lot of restraint so you don't remove any aluminum material. Also - no gasket sealer. Again, no need as it doesn't keep water out or oil in.

Thanks Rick, I'm going to move forward with the water pump kit installation and paint prep

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
WOE! Dude..... I'm thinking you're 100% correct on all accounts! It "IS" un-waxed! I don't know how I missed that fact about the surfacing wax. I have surfacing wax that I purchased a long time ago when I got the gel coat intending to use it on the last coat only. I had no idea that non waxed gelcoat drys to the touch but remains tacky without adding the surfacing wax. I thought the surfacing wax was like optional and used on the last coat to make it extra hard. You don't know how relieved I am. I totally was begging to think I had screwed up somewhere. Thank you!!!

My propane tank was low on gas so it didn't run too too long before it shut off. The heat was more of a help in bringing my substrates up to a desireable temperature than accelerating the cure time. Plus, without the surfacing wax being added to the gelcoat the heat was probably irrelevant to the cure time.

If you use propane heat with no fan to circulate the hot air off the ceiling of your tent support, be carefull for any plastic parts or pieces as they may melt. If you're making it from scratch use wood or anything that wont melt from the heat.

I don't recommend using the boat cover as a tent. Even with the propane heater stopped, between the residual gas and composites fumes its pretty daunting even for a dare devil like me :) that plus being crotched over..... wait.... crouched over LOL isn't very comfortable

Wooohoo! Thanks Goldie, now I have proof to show my girlfriend that sometimes, I can be right too!! Haha, I'm taking your advice on the tent design, I'm building it out of steel EMT, with plenty of standing room. As you put it - I certainly don't want to be crotched over lol!! :laugh:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wooohoo! Thanks Goldie, now I have proof to show my girlfriend that sometimes, I can be right too!! Haha, I'm taking your advice on the tent design, I'm building it out of steel EMT, with plenty of standing room. As you put it - I certainly don't want to be crotched over lol!! :laugh:

We are never right! :D That's the corner stone of a happy relationship!!! :peace:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In preparation for paint, I want to pressure wash my gimbal, lower and upper. Do you guys have any cleaning tips before or after the power wash? There are so many nooks and crannies, is there any liquid solution to take off corrosion? Also any special cleaning brushes that work well? Thank you!! :)

20151212_150957_zpsdhpxbmzt.jpg

20151212_151347_zpsfzyequ2x.jpg

20151212_210047_zpssc5wktog.jpg

20151212_203328_zps88btcmms.jpg