85HP Force Slow Start and other problems

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone-<br /><br />I have a 1987 85HP FORCE outboard. Here are my problems that maybe someone can help me with.<br /><br />First, I keep my boat in the water for 2 week cycles. I run it probably 2 times per week and mostly on weekends.<br /><br />I noticed a few weeks ago that after I started the motor up and after it warmed up ready for me to pull out of the slip it wanted to die out unless I gave it a little more juice than usual.<br /><br />It kinda seemed like the idile was just a bit lower than usual.<br /><br />Once I was off it is fine and runs perfectly at all speeds.<br /><br />Any suggestions with this problem?<br /><br />Secondly, I have also noticed the last few times I have gone down to my boat to start it takes about 5 or so tries to finally kick over. This never happened before.<br /><br />The battery is new and fully charged. The starter is engaging fine and I pump the bulb up prior to starting.<br /><br />Once it starts its fine for the entire day and is fine on restarts.<br /><br />Also something that I noticed after I got is started today is that after it warmed up the bulb wasn't 100% completely hard. I pumped it up more as the motor was running and it didn't seem to have much affect.<br /><br />Again - once the motor is started it runs great, just seems like the idle is a little low and the starting process has been a bit slower than before.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any tips on were to begin.<br /><br />I am no marine mechanic, but I suspect some type of fuel delivery problem for both problems the engine is causing me.<br /><br />Geeze - this force has been good to me for over 5 years.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85HP Force Slow Start and other problems

I suspect your Motor needs to be DE-Carbonized. (carbon build-up in the cylinders and probably the carbs)<br />Go to your marine store, NAPA or possibly WalMart and Buy some 2 cycle Decarb fluid, remove Motor Hood,remove rubber plugs in front of each carb and spray into each small hole until Motor DIES. Wait 5 min. and RESTART.<br />You should see a tremendious amount of White Smoke.RUN Engine at moderate Speed until Smoke subsides.<br />Should see a big Difference in Motor Operation.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jango. I actually did that last week. Didn't clear up the problem.<br /><br />Note - that this motor runs absolutely perfect at mid-high speeds.<br /><br />It also runs good at low speeds but not just once click past engaging it in gear. It kinda wants to die out unless I give it just a little bit more gas than usual.<br /><br />My slip is tight, so I have to go very slow when pulling out, or I might not have noticed this problem.<br /><br />It just seems like a low idle when originally started. Doesn't seem to do it after I am out on the bay fishing doing restarts or pulling back into my dock slip.<br /><br />Also, the iniital starting process has been a bit slower than usual the last couple of times going down to my boat. It use to start right up on the first try.<br /><br />Now it takes a little while. Key turned over, started engages or so seconds - no start.<br /><br />Do this a couple of times and it fires up.<br /><br />No also note that my motor is tilted up during storage in my slip. Does having it tilted up for a few days and then going down to start it and it taking a little longer than usual maybe caused by the fuel tilted in the carbs?<br /><br />I also noticed the bulb wasn't ROCK TIGHT after the motor stated up.<br /><br />Could I have a pin hole in the fuel line or could the buld be going out?<br /><br />Thanks again.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you Decarbonized, It is posible the cleaning process may have cleaned your carbs and linkage to the point of allowing it to Idle down further.(The linkage may not have been all the way against the STOP)<br /> Maybe, All you need to do is set your Idle Speed Higher.<br />It's posible that your Fuel system is getting some air. Try pumping the Bulb when the Motor wants to Stall. Although I suspect that is not the problem.<br />Have you changed Plugs recently? If not, Try some NGK #BUHW. I have the same Motor and after going to the BUHW Plugs, I can Idle down to 500RPM and run smoothly.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Janko. <br /><br />I run the Champion UL18V's.<br /><br />Are the NGK better plugs to run in this motor. Do you think that might make a difference in the way it idil's?<br /><br />Is turning the idle up separate on each carb, or is there another ajustment?<br /><br />I will pull out my manual tonight, but I am not the greatest motor guy in the world, but can generally figure stuff out.<br /><br />Any suggestions on the slower than usual starting problem?<br /><br />Thanks again.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As I previously mentioned, The NGK Plugs made a BIG difference in my 85Force - Much smoother & More WOT RPM's<br />Idle Speed is set at one point for ALL carbs. On the left side of the Motor, a 7/16 Lock nut - loosen while screwing a slotted head screw clockwise to INCREASE idle speed. You will probably only need about a half a turn. (move the throttle back and forth and you will see the Idle Screw and locknut)<br /><br />Slow starting could be caused by CHOKE not closing completely or BULB not getting hard enough<br />because of air leaks.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

If its been 5 years and you haven't rebuilt your fuel pump, its time.<br />The poor starting and kinda soft bulb is a clue. Rebuilding (changing out the rubberish diaphram) is really quite simple.<br />Always remove the fuel line from the engine when done for the day. Good luck!

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip dmessy. What is the significance of removing the fuel line at the end of the day? <br /><br />If you remove it do you recommend letting the motor run until it almost stalls assuring yourself that most of the gas is out of the carb bowls?<br /><br />I do this when I bring it home and it sits for a while, but haven't been removing the line when its in the water and I use it frequently.<br /><br />Thanks...