'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

zool

Captain
IMO,its worth the effort to beef up the hull below the water line, ive added over 25 oz of cloth and resin to the hull bottom, more than I grinded off, in the end, the additional weight will only add in the ability for the boat to right itself, when its tempted to not...

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't forget your inside corner pieces NM. Now that I know I'm a resin hog let's see how much this should take. I'll guess about 8 square yards per layer? Two layers is 16 sq yd's. Wood's chart says 4 square yards per gallon for 1708 so somewhere around 4 gallons? NM, if you would, please give the width and length of the glass- that would help with the accuracy. For me, it would take close to double that based on how I've done so far. Anyway just for more fun what will it weigh? My USC order says 61.25 per 5 gal pail or 12.25/gal. So around 50 lbs plus cloth weight; but I don't know if the weight changes after it hardens. NB, please track how much resin you end up using and let us know (just for fun).

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got the hull/tabbing done (finally). Rickmerrill, that is a lot of math that you want me to do (for fun)!!! The glass pieces on the sides were 32x50 (13 pieces), and the center was 28x50 (4 pieces). that comes to ~20 sq yd's total. I used right at 6 gallons of resin to do all of that. so I was slightly above the 4 sq yd's /gal. And of course, here is the proof of work completed!

First layer

Second layer

Up next, floor!!!

Rickmerrill

Oh, when I said fun I meant for me, not you! So you used about 17% more resin than the mythical 4 sq yd's per gallon. Not bad! Lay up looks great!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work ! I'll bet that sure stiffened the hull up a bunch ..
You'll be hitting the resin count that GT has on the Bassassin before ya know it ... :D

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following.. Love the work. Your carpentry work is stellar. And yes - I'm filled to the gills with "clamp envy".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, it's actually closer to 4.5 square yards if you want to REALLY get technical about it. I think he's doing a GREAT job and I don't see and RESIN RICH layups as far as I can tell!!! Unless he's making a lot of Resin Hockey Pucks that he's not showing us...I don't think he's wasting to much on his lay ups!!! I'd say this one is good to go!!! But Old Dumb Okies don't know to much either!!!:eek:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I stopped by your thread expecting to see rivets & red paint :lol:

Outstanding Job!!! :hail:

you must be good when tinheads start paying homage :D

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh, when I said fun I meant for me, not you! So you used about 17% more resin than the mythical 4 sq yd's per gallon. Not bad! Lay up looks great!

Thanks, I am really glad that I decided to do that. The hull is nice and stiff now. I wonder what method is used to get the 4ish sq yd's/gallon. Do people actually get that kind of coverage using a roller and brush, or is that achieved by vacuum bagging.

Nice work ! I'll bet that sure stiffened the hull up a bunch ..
You'll be hitting the resin count that GT has on the Bassassin before ya know it ... :D [/QUOTE

Thanks sphelps! Hull is nice and stiff now! I still have a couple of buckets to go before I catch up with GT!!!

Nurseman, Looking Good!

​Thank you sir!!

Following.. Love the work. Your carpentry work is stellar. And yes - I'm filled to the gills with "clamp envy".

Thanks studioq, glad to have you along! You can never really have too many clamps:rolleyes:

Uhmmm, it's actually closer to 4.5 square yards if you want to REALLY get technical about it. I think he's doing a GREAT job and I don't see and RESIN RICH layups as far as I can tell!!! Unless he's making a lot of Resin Hockey Pucks that he's not showing us...I don't think he's wasting to much on his lay ups!!! I'd say this one is good to go!!! But Old Dumb Okies don't know to much either!!!:eek:

Well for a dumb old Okie, you have certainly helped me with your knowledge and advice! And I haven't made TOO many pucks....but I have explored my inner sculptor a little bit! (too many fumes?)

Looking good! I'm all for thick solid hulls.

Thanks Mikeopsycho, I agree, solid is good!

I stopped by your thread expecting to see rivets & red paint :lol:

Outstanding Job!!! :hail:

you must be good when tinheads start paying homage :D

ree-vits? what are these ree-vits you speak of? Can you use them to spread resin around? Thanks for stopping in! The glass itch enhances the enjoyment of the boating experience!:eek:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Took a few minutes to grind off the nubs and sharp points along the tops of the stringers tonight. Will cap the stringers with CSM tomorrow night. (probably)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Tip for capping stingers with CSM...BE MEAN!!! Cut the CSM strips and then Roll em and Beat em into submission. Really loosen em up!! It'll make em lay over the tops a lot easier. Tip #2: Use a Piece of builders plastic (the heavier the better) to "Mold" the CSM into place by laying it over the CSM once its down and then use your hands to smooth it all out. Don't be in a big hurry removing the plastic or you'll lift the CSM and make bubbles. It'll peel off later easily. Just go with the flow.;)

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Stringers are capped. Wood, I beat and twisted the heck out of those strips, and they went down easy peasey! I crumpled them up like a piece of paper, then I twisted them like a wash-rag and then unfolded them and gave them a good tugging! They looked pretty limp when I was done.

And finished

Hopefully, this weekend will see the deck installed.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I'm jealous!... My boat only has a deck, but yours has a floor!:cool:

Capping looks great!

Rickmerrill

Looks great! When one piece met the next did you butt them up or overlap? I'm about to cap mine that's why I ask.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm jealous!... My boat only has a deck, but yours has a floor!:cool:

Capping looks great!

Terminology infraction!!! :facepalm: What can I say, I was tired, and I think I need new filters! Please note that I have re-phrased my statement to utilize the correct terminology!

Last edited: