'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, Mr. psycho. Been thinking about design a lot lately, got lots of cardboard stockpiled to do some mockups:happy:

Spend some time looking at pictures of other fishing boats,.........Clist ads, etc,.............

Lot's of great ideas have come and gone in boat layout over the years, Find what works for you,......

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got the first layer of CSM on the deck, the tabbing in the bow and transom, and got the side tabbing cut and ready to go. Here is everything cut and laid out

And here is the CSM and small tabs wetted out.

I decided to put two layers of 1708 on the gunwales, because they were paper thin to start with, and after grinding I was almost through to the gel coat, plus lots of spider cracks as well. That is tomorrows task. I am almost done with pail #4, gonna knock off work a little early and make a supply run so that I can enjoy fumes all weekend!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
And here I thought 8 pails was too much...er, ahhh, I mean 9 pails, no wait, maybe 10...:eek:...:D

Looking awesome, NM!
The additional layers, while somewhat costly, a bit heavier and labor intensive, certainly make for a battleship feel to the hull.;)

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Got the first layer of CSM on the deck, the tabbing in the bow and transom, and got the side tabbing cut and ready to go. Here is everything cut and laid out

And here is the CSM and small tabs wetted out.

I decided to put two layers of 1708 on the gunwales, because they were paper thin to start with, and after grinding I was almost through to the gel coat, plus lots of spider cracks as well. That is tomorrows task. I am almost done with pail #4, gonna knock off work a little early and make a supply run so that I can enjoy fumes all weekend!

NM that is a work of "ART"! :first::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very nice looking glass work. That hull will be nice and sturdy when you're done with it.

Mikeopsycho

Awesome glass work! :encouragement: How in the heck did you get those huge pieces of 1708 to cooperate? She's gonna ride like a Cadillac when she's done!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think it would be VERY beneficial to the members Past, Present, and Future, for you to share your "Technique" on doing large layups! It appears for a NEWB you have discovered the SECRET!!! I'm TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I think it would be VERY beneficial to the members Past, Present, and Future, for you to share your "Technique" on doing large layups! It appears for a NEWB you have discovered the SECRET!!! I'm TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!!!

I concur with WOG. And yup the glass work looks great! I think you must have a landlubber octopus working with you.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have to agree with all the praises. Truly unbelievable glass work and your carpentry skills ain't too shabby either. You, GT100000, Wood, and a few other threads should be considered the bible for rebuilding and restoring fiberglass boats. I think the moderators need to set up a separate link for the "Hall of Fame" for these restorations that are true works of art as well as craftsmanship. I would definitely place yours in nomination as well as that guy down in Florida...GT1000000's. Of course we will have to wait and see if Gus's floats when he is done...if he ever gets done. Just kidding.

Rickmerrill

Yes, please do! I'm off to try to sell a couple of pairs of those gloves you recommended...

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I am going to try and document with lots of pics while I lay up the large pieces of 1708 on the sides. But first I gotta go run some errands with the Admiral.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Almost got all of the 1708 laid up yesterday. Got both pieces on the port side, and one piece on the starboard side done before I ran outta gas and called it a night. Here are the appropriate pictures as proof of the days activities. First off I added more filleting under the rub rail backer.

Flip the cloth over the top to wet out the deck and gunwale,

Then flip the cloth back down and take the clamps off, finish wetting it out, chase the air bubbles out, and viola! a glassed gunwale.

That is layer #1 on the port side.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used a razor knife to trim the top of the glass down to the gunwale. You want to do this after the resin starts to get stiff, but before it cures hard.

While chasing air bubbles on the first layer, I had some trouble getting my cloth to lay down over the two corners along the gunnel, so I added more filleting to both sides to make the glassing easier.

Here is an "action shot" of me wetting out the first layer on the starboard side. The bigger fillets made a huge difference in allowing the cloth to make the bends.

Then back to port to repeat the same process

I also added one layer on 1708 in the bow section on each side. so that the entire hull has two layers of 1708 added. I know it adds some expense, and a bit of weight, but I feel better about the strength of the hull.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some pics of the spots that I ground through, I think that just a touch of grinding and some CSM and some fairing on the outside and it's good to go.

Spent some time today knocking down nubs and rough edges, as well as resin drips on the deck. The belt sander with a 36 grit belt and vacuum attached works like a charm to rough n scuff the deck (clogs fast though)

So the plan is to finish the last piece of 1708 on the starboard side tomorrow, and then start right in on the last two layers of CSM on the deck, but I probably won't get that all done tomorrow night. I am actually pretty pumped to be almost done with the structural rebuild portion, and ready to move on to the cosmetic and creative part of the project.

Jared9220

Seaman
Very nice job! I really wish I could skip the grinding stage and jump straight to the stage you are at, but then I wouldn't get my "grinding" badge and i'd never make it to eagle builder.

images

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice job! I really wish I could skip the grinding stage and jump straight to the stage you are at, but then I wouldn't get my "grinding" badge and i'd never make it to eagle builder.

images

Ha! I think band-aids are the only badges you will get from grinding, and if you skip that stage, you won't be able to join the "I ground through my hull" club! (very prestigious!)

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Of course there was clamps in your layup! :crazy:
It was only a matter of time before you showed us your clamp supply again. Great glassing excellent results..............are you flipping her soon?
Can you give some more details as to how you were able to put down such large pieces of csm in a single layup? For the first timer like me that would be valuable information to have. If you can impress W.O.G you've really raised the bar for the likes of me.
Any ideas on colours for the hull yet?
Gidday from OZ

Mikeopsycho

Very nicely done! Great pics and captions, clearly shows the methods you used. I'm a real fan of heavy, solid boats, and you're gonna have one. :clap2: