81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

With all the power your new engines makes you really need to run a stainless prop. Much stonger than the aluminum. You are going to be impressed with the differenance. My boat actually rides better with a stainless prop. Stronger prop equals less flex equals less slip.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow. Great thread. I just read this thing from beginning to end. Took about 2 days cause of the youtube vids get busy at night. Anyway, nice job. I am at a point with my Baja where I need to replace the stringers and the deck. Power will be a 350 as well. The 4.3 was sized and water in #2. I am not wasting my time or money getting it checked. Again, great thread.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

must be the gear ratio....
my brother in law is running a 19 pitch 4 blade stainless and he has a great holeshot and real nice top end (18.5 Bayliner bowfrt with v6 mercruiser I/O)

not sure what his ratios at sorry!

Friscoboater

Captain

I finally had a second to pop by here and see whats up. I have been buried the past few weeks. We had the boat out his last weekend and spun the prop hub. It was destroyed. I will post some pictures and video tonight.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad it was just the hub/prop Jay! The new one looks great and sounds like it runs awesome! Thanks for sharing the video as well.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

frisco,
Glad to see you back on here.
Not for the reason stated. Sorry bout the old prop, but sounds like you hit a home run on the new prop.
Take care
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

New prop look great, I always wondered if those Merc props were better, or if you were paying for the name.

Friscoboater

Captain

It seems to REALLY live up to the name. I am so impressed with this prop.

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey guys, how have you been? The past couple of months have been crazy with work, and I only took the boat out once in September. So now it is time to put her to sleep. I made a video on Friday of how I do it so that new guys can see how it is really not that hard. Let me know what you guys think.

I already miss summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEOFTatRz8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W02B0Z8IFA

sprintst

Commander

Nice job man. Very helpful vids.

For next year I think I'll make a large clear jug with a spigot on it and pour antifreeze into that. That way I can watch it go down as the engine runs.

Your boat will be in tip top share with that bang on maint.

PS. How's the Durabak holding up after a season.

Friscoboater

Captain

The durabak was great, but I am going to put carpet down this year over the duraback. It was just to "noisy", and felt very industrial. Carpet will add some luxury back in the mix.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice video Jay, that camera you have rocks! Funny thing is I'm going to do the same thing to Max today and my sprayer.....guess its that time of year, I hate winter!

Friscoboater

Captain

I hate winter too. I am going to miss girls in bikinis.

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is a little update. I hope to start a new thread for the upgrades to the Glastron (or I might add to this one). We had a great summer but I want to change a few things in the boat for next season.

Here is the wish list.

1. I love the Durabak but I am going to put in carpet this year. I miss the sound deadening it gave.
2. Add a subwoofer to the sound system
3. Change from the old log style manifolds to the new center riser models.
4. I might go with a through hull exhaust, just at the water line.
5. Remount the engine compartment lid with some new hinges
6. Reseal two of the intake bolts that are seeping oil.

I think that is it for now.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

You'll think of more! I was thinking of what I need to do to mine the other day and the list kept growing!

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet

Hey! The boat looks GREAT!

I spent the entire day (Single, no kids, and a Monday off =complete boredom) reading this thread from beginning to end. I'll be doing this same restoration for my recently purchased 82 Sea Sprite in a couple of weeks. I took it to a boat dealership for a mechanical inspection so I'm waiting to get it back so i can really dig in. I'll be using this thread for reference!!! Thanks for the plethora of knowledge!!:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Dan. To be honest I knew nothing about this before digging in. I read threads and threads before I started. Then I had the bright idea to film it.

Arch,

I know I will come up with more, but I want to keep the projects light this winter. My mother is fighting Acute Leukemia (sudden and stunning diagnoses two weeks ago) and is in the hospital for at least a month for Chemo treatment, and then she will be in treatment all winter. I really want to be there for her.

Anyway, I need to sit down and move this thread into the completed section. I just need to find the time.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Jay, sorry to hear about your mother, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Let us know if there is anything we can do, if anything, the people on here are very generous!

Friscoboater

Captain

Prayers are what is needed now. I saw her for the first time in over a week (I have been sick and they will not met anyone in that is ill) and she seems in really good spirits, considering what she is going through. She starts a second round of chemo this week and then a new marrow biopsy next week to see if we can proceed with a transplant.

Thanks guys.