81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Just comparing notes there, roscoe. No need to get upset.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just comparing notes there, roscoe. No need to get upset.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound like I got upset. I think its great everyone posting what is required where they are. Makes it easier to be prepared to boat in waters in other places. I just didnt want him to go to the lake and get a ticket shortly after all his hard work on the boat. I think it is interesting how similiar the boating regulations are everywhere and yet how there are such minro differences that could get someone a ticket. For instance, the regulations in his state and very similiar to here where I am but if I went to the lake and had everything that is required by Texas I would get a ticket for not having flares which probably wouldnt get used anyway. One thing I find interesting in Ga is that you are required to have a minimum of 2 flares. I have heard that if they stop you they may check the expiration on the flares and if they are close to expiring they will make you set one off or two if you have 3 so you are under the legal requirement and therfore must buy more and they give you a written 30 day notice just in case someone else stops you before you get the replacements. I dont know if this is true or not but it is interesting.

Also, here in Georgia, you cannot register a boat with just a bill of sale. You must have a bill of sale and the registration card from the previous registered owner if you buy it from an individual. People sell these boats all the time on Craibslist here and I see the same boats up for sale again over and over because they cannot be registered due to not having the correct items. There are ways around this but it is a real headache if you have to go an alternate route to register them.

tallcanadian

Captain

That's neat too. Having to register boats. Certain size boats here it's not mandatory. Same as snowmobiles. I do it anyway just to keep a paper trail.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for that link Rosco! That really helped.

Now if i could just figure out the timing issue.

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks for that link Rosco! That really helped.

Now if i could just figure out the timing issue.

Sounds like you need to remark your balancer, or get a different one that lines up properly with your pointer.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just catching up on your thread after a couple weeks of mahem. great looking foam installation. The video's will be really helpful. Sorry I didn't get back with you on my thread last week. It's been a madhouse. I love the pics from the lake.

I can't wait 'till you grow some big ones:D And just see what she can do all out!

I know what you meant on the trial run about the scary nervous feeling. I've never had a boat before and haven't been on the water like that. I have ridden bikes since '74 and that first ride in the spring when you open it up for the first time in months is a rush! gets your heart to pumpin'.

By the way, in the Motor mount video, you can lay in your garage floor in a white T-Shirt? Now that's spotless!:cool:

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot all about the timing issue. Yes from my experience most harmonic balancers from the 80's are year specific. They will work just as yours is even though they are incorrect but many of them were specific for the particular year engine. Some even ask things such as which side the power steering pump is on or which side the alternator is on. You wouldnt think the alternator would have much to do with it but on some engines it is how they determine the correct balancer. However, you have got to be close in order to have no spark knock or pinging and at the same time have the engine running good without overheating, burning too much fuel, or being hard to start because of incorrect timing. Personally if it were me and I had it set just as you say you have, Id run it. If nothing else, call around and see if you can find someone who can set the timing without the pointer. Sometimes these pointers get broke off for some reason or another and you have to go by other means to get the timing set correctly. Worst case scenario, try to find the opposite timing cover or the balancer that is marked the other way. I have had to set the timing on many vehicles without even using a timing light so I know it can be done without the light or with an incorrectly marked balancer. Bottom line, it comes down to how you feel. You are the one who has the money tied up in the engine, take the route that makes you feel safe about how the timing is set.

parrisw

Ensign

You can remark your existing balancer but it takes a little work, might be hard to do with the engine together. You can buy stickers that wrap around the balancer and just put it where you need, however you need a degree wheel and a positive piston stop to set it to TDC, then you just stick the sticker on at 0 lining up to the pointer.

Just put number one pistion at topdead center. I would use a piston stop or a dial indicator. Then place the new timing tape around the balancer, line up the topdead center mark with the pointer. You can get one at napa or autozone. The whole thing can be done in 10 to 15 min. These are the timing tapes I use. Let me know if you need any more help. By the way Im from texas too. Good luck

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8985/10002/-1

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad to see you and the family on the water Frisco. Everything looks top notch. I had that same vibration in my boat at low RPM last year. Don't know what it was, but I didn't really worry about it because I hardly ever operate at low RMP. I'm either sittin still or haulin butt. :D

I dont know which engine you have but make sure you have the right balancer for the motor. Their is two different ones internal or external balanced motors. That could be the reason you have a vibration. That motor will shake apart if its not right.

My bad I just read that the vibration is just 2000 rpm. If its the balancer I think it would be more spread out through the rpm range. That what I get for typing before I read.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jay, I just got done reading the Texas laws over again and you do not need flaires on non Coast Guard controlled waters. That being said, check the local laws. For example in Texas you must maintain 50 feet from other vessels unless at minimum speed to maintain headway, but on Eagle Mountain lake it is 100 feet due to the Trinity River blah blah authority laws.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat looks awesome Jay! Glad you're able to get out with your family and enjoy it!

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for all the help guys. I was going to do the TDC thing with the timing tape, but I wanted to make sure that was what I was dealing with, and not a bigger issue. I spent the day building side panels for on each side of the engine to give me storage for my gear, and I cleaned the garage again. We are going to try and get out to the lake again this week and get some good action shots. I might even put the cleaver prop on there to see how she performs.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am not really sure. I will have to look.

Friscoboater

Captain

The cleaver prop is a 48-88448-21. What does this mean? I noticed last year when I tried to put it on it hit the little anode. Do I just take it off?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cleaver prop is a 48-88448-21. What does this mean? I noticed last year when I tried to put it on it hit the little anode. Do I just take it off?

If it's hitting the anode I wouldn't use the prop.

Friscoboater

Captain

I thought clevers with that pitch will always hit the anode. I thought I remember seeing someone clearance one with a grinder.

Friscoboater

Captain

I got my smooth Durabak in today. I might try and apply it tomorrow.