81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

friscoboater,
Hey man, they always told me if you ain't hurting, you ain't working. :p
Glad to hear your getting what you wanted out of all that work.
Keep it moving.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Sure thing Arch. All I have left is the engine guys. Business better pick back up or I will be stabbing the tired 305 back in with a coat of paint and a new intake. We had banner last quarter, but this new year has started off with a sputter.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hear you there, we were rocking last winter / spring.....then last summer it nose divided , but it has slowly picked back up. I hope 2010 is a better year!

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw that video on youtube, and I loved it, but when I used a similar product is was streaky.

I got streaks too when I used anything except a new applicator brush from vertglas. New brush, everytime. I tried to make my own with a foam brush and cloth. It didn't work. You won't need it anyway. Nothing looks as good as fresh polish and wax.

By the way, I know people who pay around $500 a season to have their boats polished up. Just a thought.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just had and idea. Tell me what you think.

I am getting kinda worried about the flotation that was in the back of the boat. Almost 4 cubic feet of it. I was thinking of not putting it back in due to the fact you really cannot service the engine with it there. So my thought was to make removable wood enclosures, sealed in resin, filled with foam, and then painted to match the bilge. That way when I need to work on the engine I can take them out. The real question is how do you mount them and keep the deck sealed.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great thread Frisco! Finally had a chance to catch up and read the whole thing. I like the details you included in the vids and captions. Keep it going! Awesome job!!!:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Look what came in the mail today. They are not the metalized ones like factory, but pretty close. we will see how they hold up.

DSC09844.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very cool, the decals are some of the hardest things to replace! Where did you get them?

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

removable foam sound like a great idea. Just mount latches to the floor to attach the boxes. Nice decals too.

Friscoboater

Captain

I found them on ebay. I just did a search for mercruiser stickers.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
The deals look pretty close to original. They should look great. :D
As for the removable foam I would do as SKIBUM1M suggested and mount them with latches, I would just use the ones that you tilt the box and side it sideways and lift it out.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

could you attach some i-bolts to the floor and use some tied-own straps to hold in it place?

Friscoboater

Captain

I was doing some figuring with the flotation. It says that you need to be able to support 25% of you boat in the water.

So...

My Boat is 2200 pounds with the engine (Guesstimate... the boat without a a the motor is 1200, and the engine is about 1000 fully loaded)

That means I need 550 pounds of flotation force. The gunwhales all the way around the boat has about 3 inches of foam. Also on either side of passenger area are long pieces of foam.

The size is 1' X 1' X6' which makes it twelve cubic feet when you add both sides together (is that right?) . Ad if 2lb foam supports 60 pounds that means I have 720 pound of lifting force. Even if I take off 100pounds of force due to the curve of the hull I am still at 620.

Where am I wrong with my math?

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I just thought how great removable foam is in the future. If it ever does get waterlogged it is easy to change out. Plus you can keep it dry by building a box then but a strong trash bag in it them pour the foam in the bag and seal the bag. I think you are on to a great plan.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am just bout finished with the polishing. I spent all day sanding and polishing the starboard side. The garage is COVERED in polish residue and it is nasty!!!! Once it is done... the boat goes back on the trailer. I am kinda sad about that. I am used to seeing her when I walk in the garage.

When I am finished I will have a few movies about my trials and tribulations of the poliglo and polishing.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Hey, We at least want pic's to hold us over. :D
I'm glad to hear that is going well. I know what you mean about being sad. What will you do with all your time them? :(
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Dont be sad. Just find more work to do on the boat. There is always something more to do.

Friscoboater

Captain

You guys are not going to believe this. I popped on CL today and saw a SX-190 Just like mine but in a different color. I called the guy and he said the trailer was for sale, and the boat was free. I knew right there we had trouble... here comes the ridiculous price. He said he was looking to get 400 for the shootin match, but make him an offer. So I hopped in the truck and headed that way. I just wanted to see if there was some parts that I might be able to buy off it. Well when I got she looked really rough. The deck it rotten and the interior is shot. But...... It had emblems and all the shiny stuff that I need, and it was in really good shape. It had a 260 engine that I know for a fact has freeze damage, but has all the other stuff that I need.

So I offered him 200 for the whole thing, and we settled on 250.

So here is my plan.

1. Strip the boat completely.
2. Take the parts that I need for my boat
3. Ebay the transom plate, gimble housing, trim pump, outdrive, and other Misc parts.
4. Cut the boat up or give it away.

I ought to be able to get my money back out of it and still get the parts I need.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a find!

Got any windshield braces you don't need?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
I can't believe how lucky some people are. Great to hear man.
People really don't know what they have.
Any pic's of the new donor.
Bob