81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I have no doubt that we'll eventually meet at one of the area lakes. We're on Grapevine most weekends during the summer, usually at the west beach shooting the bull with the other lake trash. I'd like to visit Lewisville. Our boys look to be about the same age.

Your boat was a nice find. It was obviously taken care of properly over 30 years by someone who knew boats. No reason for it not to last another 30 with the work you're putting into it.

Have you found a new motor yet? If so, who'd you go with? I was thinking about talking to these folks (http://www.atk-engines.com/). I saw your old stuff on CL. You know that new 350 will make it zip. I have a 4" hole saw and a big a++ drill when you're ready for threw-hull exhaust :D

I have not found a motor yet, but I will take a look at that company. As far as the through hull I have to convince the first mate about that. She HATES it when boats are roaring across the lake and that is all you hear. She likes to go fast, but she hates the noise.

So last might I was reading the forum like i always do and saw apost taht scared me. His stringers were good where you could see them, and the floor looked great, but underneath the stringers were shot. I remember seeing at HD they had a Milwaukee Scope camera and thought that would be awesome to send down and scope my stringers. So I got up this morning ready to go buy it, and then a funny thing heppened. I got a call from my electrician and he and I were talking about a job we were going to do today and he said he wanted to show me his new toy. Guess what? He just bought the same tool I was thinking of. I said I really need that to look at my boat, and he was more than happy to let me borrow it.

So after about thirty minutes of figuring out how it worked and getting my bearings looking at a little screen, I was able to see everything. I was really happy to find it was all clear. There is no foam under my deck to trap water at all, just wide open spaces. Talk about a relief!

DSC09667.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice scope. Sure beats cutting new holes. The relief holes you added to the rear stringers was a good call. Water was pooled in those areas in my boat with no way to ever drain out. That couldn't be good in a freeze.

Friscoboater

Captain

Check out what we woke up to here is Texas.

DSC09669.jpg

DSC09670.jpg

DSC09677.jpg

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That same stuff is heading my way in TN!! I guess it should make for good boat shopping waether!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey guys,
Thats not even close to funny. :(
I hate that white stuff. :eek:
It should only be allowed in pictures and drinks. :p
Bob

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that's not nice, I hate that nasty white stuff. It's raining right now here in Michigan, but we're supposed to get some snow tomorrow.:(

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I drove to work in it this morning, but nothing stuck in my area.

Friscoboater

Captain

The nice thing is that is melted on about two hours.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would never see that where I live. I don't like snow or ice neither.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok... So today I went by City Motor supply here is town to check out their prices on engines. Wow, what an operation. The guy sat down and went over my options for marine engine and advised me on what to do. he then showed me pictures of his boat that had a CMS engine in it. An the best thing is their prices are rock bottom. I asked him why they are so much lower than everyone else. he said look around. we are huge, and we pass the savings on to you.

So here are my choices.

Option 1:

350 300HP Chevy Crate 4 bolt main
Marinized with brass
CNC machines, Blueprinted HO ling block
Hypereutectic pistons H345np
Molly Rings
ACL Bearings
Elgin camshaft 224/234 @.050 .465/.488 List (Seems a little high)
Double row timing set
202 heads with SS valves with matching springs
Valve covers, timing chain and oil pan
ARP bolts

1450.00 No core

Option 2

Bone stock 350
RV camshaft
Valve covers, timing cover, oilpan.
999.00 no core

So I have some thinking to do.

What do you guys think?

Utahboatnut

Guess it depends on your budget, but if there is any way to swing it I think option 1 would be a very nice reliable unit. However my 20' Crownline has a bone stock 350 mag carbed and it is a rocket ship, or with the hi five prop it turns to a stump puller out of the hole. So you could take the extra five bones and finish out the stock 350 and still have a nice unit at a lower cost. I think either way you end up going you will have a pretty stout rig, if already posted forgive me but what drive are you going to hang off the back? Here in SLC Utah that snow storm is a every other day thing but it doesn't just melt off :[ I think todays high with the sun out was 30. So snowmobiles have to fill the void until I can get back on the water. Not that you would but the thru hull idea on a 350 is just a waste of money to make noise, no performance gain at all.

system-f

Holy crap! That makes putting a straight 6 back in mine when mine fails pointless.

Did they say the cam is a marine cam? I don't see anything wrong with that engine for the price assuming it is a marine cam, but that would be the limit of your outdrive and you might have to take it easy on her.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
It sounds like no matter which one you choose you will have plenty of power.
Just like other poster stated, make sure your drive can handle the power.
I only see two major considerations.
1. What is your goal, ( What are you trying to accomplish.)
2. What is your budget.
Have fun with the choices.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I am torn on what i want to do. I did not realize that I could have that power for so little money. I called around and the cheapest I could find for a Stock marine motor was 2 grand.

Keith- If you are going with a V8 I think you have to change out the drive, but I am not sure. As far as a marine cam goes, you just need a good torque cam. I think the cam in the first option was a little hot, but they said they would do any cam I want in that option. so it is up to me.

I had budgeted about $1600.00 for the motor so I am really happy now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the alpha drives are rated to 300hp right?

I got my new Engine mounts off Ebay today.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Depends on which ALPHA drive you have.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mer cruiser 228,
CID 305, rated HP 228
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

But the same one was used for the 260 engine too.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
You may be right but I'm just quoting what is in my manual.
MCM 250,255,260, & 270
CID 350, Rated HP 250,255, 260, & 270
Again, this is just the information in my manual.
Hope this helps.
Bob