81 Checkmate Restoration!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: 81 Checkmate Restoration!

Update - Been sanding/fairing and filling the hull for the last month or so....
Going with a Black bottom and Yellow top side with Black accent in some rasid areas.

220 grit over the whole hull...
80 grit and then 120 over the fiberglass filler, then filled deep scratches with spot/glazeing compond then 220 over that.

Used Accetone to wipe down then clean cloth over that.
Sprayed one coat of primmer....waited 24 hrs.....then dry sanded with 400 grit...Accetone wipe down, then one coat of gloss black.

The worst part is laying on your back to do the bottom. Ugh! My back is sore and my arms are ready to fall off.

Surely if i had to do over i would flip the boat! Not an option for me as my garage is to small.

IMG_6681.jpgIMG_7366.jpgIMG_1722.jpgIMG_1067.jpg0423132329.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Some pics of the Black bottom....

IMG_0437.jpg

Attachments

• 0423132330.jpg
    0423132330.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0423132330a.jpg
    0423132330a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Wood.... no hardner in the primmer or black.

Is this gona be a problem. I was going to the use hardner on the last coat of paint. Did i goof?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Wood.... i mixed both primmer and paint at - 200 Mil Paint to 20 Mil of Acetone...10%

I started at 5% but it would not spray right.....clumpy/ blotchy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's not a "Problem" per se, It's just that just like anything else, the foundation is what gives things their strength. Your foundation has no Hardener so therefore it will be a bit more soft. What size tip does your gun have? What pressure are you shooting at? How many coats of Black are on there right now? What brand of gun is it? How big is your compressor? HP? Gallons?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Gun type.......Harbor Fraight - older style with the knobs on the back of the gun.
Gun Tip size - not sure - it's whatever came with the gun....standard? Ill check tonight.
Gun pressure - 40psi max...I have a regulator at the gun.
Compressor - 80 Gallon, 150 PSI max i think...not sure on HP rateing.....also have two water seperators at the air outlet on compressor...before the hose.

1 - coat of Black as of now........I would like 3 coats of Black on the bottom........I almost used a full quart on first coat, 18' - 6" long boat and about half way up the sides.

Soo..... Should i wait a few days or (1 week) for the first coat to get harder... before i go with 2nd coat?

zool

Captain

"Soo..... Should i wait a few days or (1 week) for the first coat to get harder... before i go with 2nd coat?"

Are you going to sand between coats? Generally, you should apply additional coats within 24-48 hrs or you need to scuff the surface again. And if you used a hardener, and you are going to color sand, you will work twice as hard to remove the peel and any trash...

I use acrylic urethane single stage (ppg concept)..I lay two coats, the second after the 1st tacks, then color sand it smooth, then lay two nice wet coats....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I assume your next coats will have hardener. If so. I'd apply them tomorrow. Read my Paint link and understand how to mix it and shoot it. A Quart per Coat seems a bit heavy to me. Your volume setting on the gun may need adjusting. Have you shot some cardboard to check it? There's a link inside my link on how to adjust that gun. Your tip is prolly a 1.4 mm. Shooting up with a HVLP Gravity feed gun is a Challenge too!

Coryb

Seaman

Checkmate's are my absolute favorite boat's, ever since I was a little kid going to the lake with my family. Can't wait to see the finished project.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Ok way off on the compressor.

23 gallon tank
5 hp motor
130 psi max pressure
HVLP gun with the 1.7 tip

Painted Tues night......cold front came thru last night (wed) lower 30's overnight and high's in the 50's....did not work on it.
Thursday (Today) - Daughter has softball bouble header....no go on the boat
Will start back on boat fri night....will scuff sand with 400 grit...wipe down and reshoot 2nd coat with hardener?

But Zool has a point....it would be alot harder to sand with the hardener in the paint!

I am going to have to use some rattle can also... Like under the stands and bow eye when i get it back on trailer.

Question? - do they put hardener in the rattle cans.... and not the same mix thats in the quart/gallon cans? Is there a difference?

zool

Captain

"But Zool has a point....it would be alot harder to sand with the hardener in the paint!"

What I meant was, you should use the hardener, just dont wait too long to sand it afterwards.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Got ya.... Wait to long and it gets to hard to sand out imperfections.

What about the rattle can... vs... the quart/gallon can? Is there a difference between the two. Becouse i know i am going to be touching up with a rattle can.

Another question - How long should i wait to tape fresh paint up to do the different color.

And yes if i had money to burn i would have used PPG/interlux ect paint to do the job.

Just a rookie doing the learning process on a project boat with a low budget!

Thanks for all the help iboats

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I will go over to harbor freight and check out the tips. I tried to look at mine thats on the gun...but could not find any markings.
I had noticed orange peel on the first coat...i was thinking i was too close with the gun.

Another question - What would be the best tape type for the edge lines. The 3-M blue stuff?

zool

Captain

"What about the rattle can... vs... the quart/gallon can? Is there a difference between the two. Becouse i know i am going to be touching up with a rattle can."

Once paint is activated/hardened, it has a very short shelf life...I dont think the rattle can comes pre hardened. The product should be the same until you add the hardener....I know its an extra step, but it would be better to mix a small batch and just hit it with the gun again...just cover your trailer with some plastic...if you have a detail gun cup, like we use for door jambs, ect...or just use the big cup and fill it with less paint.

"Another question - How long should i wait to tape fresh paint up to do the different color."

After its tack free...a day or so is fine

You'll be fine with the paint you're using, I use ppg cuz im used to it, and i have all the supplies and additives/reducers on hand already...Its all in the prep and technique... Good luck and show us when its coated ;)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks guy's for the info.....

Frog Tape - i will look for it!

Ill report back next week......Hope i can get it done by Sunday night.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't think HF sells just the tips. I know TCP does and their tips will fit the HF guns. I used a 1.3 mm and it worked great with almost NO Orange peel.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Does TCP = Tractor supply? If so i have one right down the road!

Thanks Wood.....