'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

If Roslynn has had enough "character" building you could take her here...

http://www.dolce-h-hotel.com/

A weekend there would only cost you about what you have into your SS!

The boys would love this pizza place directly across the street...

http://pizzasams.com/

Really good pizza/ice cream and they can watch them toss em the old fashioned way!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow nice hotel...I'm hungry for pizza now:D

Also I forgot to mention that I did buy another 6 gallon Merc tank yesterday and it's in MUCH better condition than the one that came with the rig for $30.

All I need to do now is to convert my 6.6 gallon to Merc fittings and I will have 18+ gallons to play with:)

fshngho

Lieutenant

HA, if yours is anything like mine:

"Camping in tents in the rain builds character"
Guess what may happen if you go to Jobbie Nooner? LOL
Fish must be biting in that area huh? How do you find a spot?
;)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

for those of you LOST go to jobbienooner.com

Hey Mike...leave the kids at home! :eek: lol

bring the metal detector for the day after...clean house on rings/cash/gold/ etc I would love to metal detect under water around that island! the sightseeing would be nice too! man some of the boats are HUGE tied to little boats then another MEGA barge parked sandwiching em!

Sweet garmin! lucky you have a great spot for it on that ample dash....
I want to put a cheapie fishy finider in ...where to place it? DOH!

Hey I heard the walleyes were biting good in Lake St Clair BTW...buddy caught a bunch last week............ post some more FISH PICS! :D:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

We had a great weekend with the rig over on Sanford Lake. I wish we had a body of water that large closer to Lansing, we cruised up and down the 11-mile reservoir and had a blast.

Didn't do any tubing or skiing yet, but the merc ran well and I got to take my nephew and my mom out for a boat ride:)

There's a designated area where everyone beaches their boats near a splash park that the kids loved. Great boating destination:D

I thought we my have had an issue with the new 40-amp relays but it was just a blown 20 amp fuse. All switches are working and I'm enjoying the convenience of trimming the motor up from the helm.

I've got some video of the admiral at the helm, she got in some good time behind the wheel and did a great job handling the rig. Roslynn seems to like bringing it up on plane and backing off to her favorite cruising speed around 22mph:)

She informed me that we will be getting a bimini top for the rig, pretty hot sun out there this weekend. The boys loved sitting up in the bow and it must be comfy cause our youngest fell asleep while we were cruising.

I'll get some photos up later on...and we did go fishing last night and got three bowfin(one of which is about 27"), two bullhead, tons of bluegill/sunfish and a little painted turtle that now lives in our smaller fish tank that was not in use.

I will get some photos up later on.

Huron Angler

Admiral

A happy crew member:)

DSCF7009.JPG

Some shots of the view from the SS on Sanford Lake.

Those dark clouds were closing in on us...but the 5.5hp Johnson kept us out of reach till we got to the dock. The Merc ran well but we took the scenic route home and enjoyed the ride.

DSCF7008.JPG

DSCF6992.JPG

And...since this is a resto thread...a picture of some work being done on the rig. I riveted in these aluminum supports to tie in the bow structure. It's a work in progress(like everything on the boat).:D

DSCF6955.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good deal. My wife and I were out yesterday and also determined that a bimini top is necessary. It wasn't that hot but it was still fairly brutal in the sun. With a top it would have been ideal.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coming along nice! It is obvious he like the boat with that smile!

If you ever decide to hit jobbie nooner, take a look at the above picture again and look at how many of those boats DON'T have heads in 'em. And then look at all them people on the island and in the water. Gross.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Good deal. My wife and I were out yesterday and also determined that a bimini top is necessary. It wasn't that hot but it was still fairly brutal in the sun. With a top it would have been ideal.

Yeah I didn't argue with her when she told me we need a bimini.:)

Coming along nice! It is obvious he like the boat with that smile!

If you ever decide to hit jobbie nooner, take a look at the above picture again and look at how many of those boats DON'T have heads in 'em. And then look at all them people on the island and in the water. Gross.

LOL yeah I hear ya...I usually try to avoid other boaters as much as possible so I'm not sure I'll make it out there.

My son was pretty excited since we let him take the helm with the Minn Kota running, using the Merc as a rudder.

I'm pretty sure he knows how to start up the Merc now too so I better keep an eye on the key.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you guys had a great time! Lemme know if you end up this way again, I really enjoy seeing the SS in person. Maybe I she give me an autograph, maybe!

Cheers!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Glad to see how much you're enjoying the SS, love the pictures & video.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

firstly DANG your kids take great pics! or rather they pose and look great for the camera! :D little super-models!

Bowfin...thats cool! are they good eats
????????? 27" thats pretty darn healthy! wonder what the record is?.. atleast on that lake....but it sounds like a big one for sho

The bimini top is the BEST invention and investment.
... Ive shopped around quite a bit when we bought ours..so far Ive bought 3 from Iboats...they have some awsome prices believe it or not
here in Vegas you will literally DIE without one...115 to 120 degrees.....super high UV rating...solar radiation at its best :eek:

thanks for sharing all the cool pics and videos! makes for great reading and looking when hiding from the heat (IE: on computer lol)

hows the fishy finder working....havent read any updates on it :)
I bet a side scan sonar would be great for those little shallow lakes......

and lastly...Mike I think you need a fourth engine...then you can compete with TallCanadians Avatar hehehehhehehhe

Attachments

• PS_0515_BEN_FRANKLIN.jpg
    PS_0515_BEN_FRANKLIN.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

fshngho

Lieutenant

Uhhhh, yeah... what Vega said, ditto;)

Very happy for you.

Triton II

Commander

Wow, HA, looks like everyone in the Angler family is loving the SS. Very cool. Agree with Vegasman's assessment of bimini tops - essential here in Aus, even in the middle of winter. As for bikini tops... ban them I say! :D

TII

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like you guys had a great time! Lemme know if you end up this way again, I really enjoy seeing the SS in person.
Cheers!

I will let you know, I'd like to get down there at least once in august. One of my fishing buddies is interested in trolling for musky and jigging for walleye so we'll probably head down on a friday some week.:)

Glad to see how much you're enjoying the SS, love the pictures & video.

Thanks lakelover, we have been having a great time on the Starcraft, very glad to have been able to do what we did with lots of help from iboats:)

Bowfin...thats cool! are they good eats[/B]????????? 27" thats pretty darn healthy! wonder what the record is?.. atleast on that lake....but it sounds like a big one for sho

hows the fishy finder working....havent read any updates on it :)
I bet a side scan sonar would be great for those little shallow lakes......

and lastly...Mike I think you need a fourth engine...then you can compete with TallCanadians Avatar hehehehhehehhe

Thanks Paul! The bowfin haven't made it to the grill yet, I've heard mixed reviews on the meat. There are recipes for bowfin chowder out there.

I actually hooked it up last night for the first time and I love it, very clear, plenty of functions and a big screen.

What should I do for the 4th motor? Maybe another 5.5hp so I have twin kickers:D

Uhhhh, yeah... what Vega said, ditto;)

Very happy for you.

Thanks Dale!

Wow, HA, looks like everyone in the Angler family is loving the SS. Very cool. Agree with Vegasman's assessment of bimini tops - essential here in Aus, even in the middle of winter. As for bikini tops... ban them I say! :D

TII

LOL, yeah the clan likes the rig whether they are sleeping or fishing:)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Your interior looks great! I know who to bug when I get that far with my resto.

Ahhh Jobbie Nooner, started by a couple of guys who worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI. They worked for an Engineering firm that would contract employees to GM, Engineers, Designers, etc. There were many of these "Job Shops" in SE Michigan. GM had 10,000-15,000 contract employees at one time (all gone).

The guys at GM called the contract guys "Jobbies", because they came from job shops. My brother was a jobbie for 15 years at GM (he worked with the original Jobbie Nooner guys).

A nooner as I think everyone knows, is cutting out of work at noon. Most famous time to pull a nooner is on a Friday.

Jobbie Nooner is on a Friday in June, has been for many years. It's gotten seriously of out of control. The Sheriffs here gear up for special every year, they hate it. If you like a thousand drunken idiots and a few topless girls, then you'll love it. I've never been so I can't comment first hand. My boat will remain in dry dock visible to the Admiral during this time of year.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like she is ready for Sanford! I have heard rumors of big ol musky lurking in that lake, never seen one though. I hope the weather shapes up for you tomorrow!

I've been doing some research and have found out that Sanford Lake is considered one of the top five Musky lakes in the state.

Check out this link for some info.

They have been planting them since the 80s and I guess some have gotten big by now:D Time to buy some bigger rods, heavier line and gigantic lures.

As far as Jobbie Nooner, that's not my cup of tea either...I was just kidding with Kenny...we both have 5-star admirals that are battle tested already;):cool:.

I tend to head to open water void of other vessels given the chance so I agree with the sentiments, interesting back story from Don though, I'd heard a similar version of that before.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Your interior looks great! I know who to bug when I get that far with my resto.

Thanks Don...you will need to bug Roslynn on that. I can help you with the easy stuff though, let me know if you need help installing cleats or testing your bow lights:p:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

...As far as Jobbie Nooner, that's not my cup of tea either...I was just kidding with Kenny...we both have 5-star admirals that are battle tested already;):cool:...

'Battle tested' lol, no wonder mine got po'd... I said 'battle axe'

Status
Not open for further replies.