skeg guards

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anyone use skeg guards in a preventive means of avoiding electrolysis from damaging the skeg or is it still volnerable to electolysis wear ,but just not visible when guard is bolted to skeg.the question i am trying to get answers to is if electrolysis get to the skeg with the guard bolted to it will i notice the wear , i dont think i will .

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: skeg guards

im not sure if i understand you correctly

but if i do......the skeg gaurd isnt an issue.

as long as your zinc plate is on.......it is there to "get eaten" faster than everything else.......

oops

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the problem is my zinc are only lasting less then 6 months as oppose to other boats i've had that the zincs lasted longer.obviously i have an electrolysis problem in my canal cant find the cause/boat yet ,but i have noticed wear on my props and lower units more than before . thought about stainless skeg guards but dont want to spend $$$ and have them go to trash in couple of months...

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Have you tried aluminum anodes?

This is from a West Marine advisory:
Which anode is right for you?
Zinc or aluminum for salt water: If you are a saltwater boater, you should install zinc anodes to prevent galvanic corrosion on the engine and underwater parts of your boat. Look for aluminum anodes as a possible replacement because they last longer while providing the same level of protection as zinc.

TilliamWe

Banned

Do you have a Bravo three outdrive, by any chance? If you do, fighting galvanic corrosion (not electrolysis) is practically a full time job. Make sure you are not turning off the power to your Mercathode system, if you have one.
If anything, a skg guard will increase the galvanic corrosion, since it is yet another dissimiliar metal in contact with your aluminum outdrive case. That is one reason I haven't installed one on my corroded Bravo 3 drive. I don't need more steel than I've already got with the two props!

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will check into the material/metals in my new anodes.I was given a book on how to read electrical current in water caused by a discharge from someones shore power hook up etc, I'll tell you what this is one big book to track down the idiot causing the problem but its starting to hit my wallet hard so i will read ,test,take a reading and track him down .I have a good idea where to look but i need confirmation/proof before i start barking ....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Stainless has a galvanic potential when coupled with aluminum. The skeg guard may actually increase galvanic corrosion.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Aluminum is more noble than zinc. Find a friend that understands the periodic chart of elements and have him explain it to you. Zinc is the fastest of the common elements to be eaten away by electrolysis. If your anodes are being eaten faster on this rig, then you have a greater problem than changing the anodes.

Think about it this way. One of the most noble elements is gold. You could have gold as your sacificial anode, but the problem is anything that is less noble will be eaten away first. Anything that is steel, iron, aluminum. magnesium, etc will give up its life to protect the gold anode. It would not be a good choice for an anode though it would last a long time.

If you choose aluminum as an anode then the aluminum in your outdrive and especially the magnesium in it will give up their lives as fast or faster than the aluminum anode, so they are not a good choice.

Zinc is the best choice. Why is it being eaten away so fast? You have a good idea as you said that you need to check the electrical currents in the water. Also is there bronze such as a propeller, through hull fittings or tabs in the water? Is there copper cooling tubes that are in the boat, but allows lake or seawater to flow though them? Check you electrical system and make sure you have no bilge water on the wires.

Keep us posted.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I use the skeg guard as mine was snapped off in the ohio river by a submerged log, but to the main topic, I have not noticed a differance.

BBP

Cadet

I use the skeg guard as mine was snapped off in the ohio river by a submerged log, but to the main topic, I have not noticed a differance.

You lost your skeg due to a log. A buddy of mine lost his skeg when a hydraulic line broke and the outdrive dropped to the road. Do you know if a skeg can be welded back on or can he get these skeg guards and use that for a new skeg.