77 Skeeter Wrangler restoration

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, I read Woods post on tractor paint and my boat could possibly be docked for weeks at a time when on vacation. So I'm thinking tractor paint is not the way to go. Also, If anyone could answer any of my questions in post #115 it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Popop

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hi everyone, It's been a while since I posted. The work on the boat continues and I have a lot of pictures to post. I am not very good with the computer so I have to get my son to post them for me. I'm getting close to flipping the hull, and I have a few questions.
(1) what do I use to fill any scratches, gouges or imperfections in the hull? Mix up your own filler using resin a bit of Cabosil and Glass bubbles so it's like Mayonaise or Buy some 3M premium filler and thin it with some Acetone so it's like Mayonaise or just a bit thinner. Go easy on the hardener and you'll have a bit more time. Only mix about a 1/4 cup at a time or you'll waste a bunch.

(2)what type of primer to use? Use the primer recommended for the Color Coat paint you decide to go with.

(3)what is the best paint and procedure to use? (my shop is set up to spray if that is an option) Since your boat will be left in the marina for extended periods of time, I'd recommend SuperMarine Revolution Paint. It's very good Paint!!! Problem is..It's pricey. You'll end up paying about $300 bucks for all the stuff you'll need to paint your boat. ( Primer, Thinner, Hardener, Paint) That's still cheaper than AwlGrip or most of the other Brand Name Marine Paints. I'd recommend spraying. Since you're set up for it, it's the easiest and best method to get good coverage.
http://supermarinepaint.com/marinepa...allon-3p10.htm

(4)what is a good paint for the bilge area? (I did not use wax) Bilgecoat Paint is good or you could just use the tractor Paint with hardener or Rustoleum.

See comments in Blue!

Last edited:

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Wood, I really appreciate you answering these questions. Without your knowledge and assistance, as well as gus and everyone else my project could not keep moving along. THANKS Popop

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys, I have another question. Today I ran out of resin again. (15 gal. so far ). I have been using U.S.C. 435 Poly resin w/o wax throughout the build. All I have left to glass is to tab in the deck with 1708 and a layer of csm over that. I know that the automotive resin contains wax but to save time and cost of hazmat and shipping, would a few gallons of that be acceptable to use or not? Thanks Popop,

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Only one layer of CSM? I think you'll be ok if, big if, you can go wet-on-wet over the 1708 and finish in one go. Otherwise you'll have to remove the wax and sand to get a good bond.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup ^^ This is Good Advice!!! It will be pricey!!! To do your deck will take 3-4 gallons. If you plan it carefully and lay it out properly you should be able to do it "Wet on Wet"

Last edited:

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW! Not saving anything locally. ( $47.00 gal.) I think I'll order 5 more gallons from U.S.C. Now, What should I lay on the deck after tabbing with 1708, and how many layers? Thanks.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also have to repair the splashwell as seen in post #8. Would I keep layering csm or should I use something else? I have csm, 1708, and I am ordering 6oz. glass cloth. What do you think?

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
cap is still off. I will be cutting off the rear section where somebody did a poor repair job.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello everyone, been awhile, really wanting to start working on the skeeter again but we just can,t seem to get out of these sub zero temps. Ok I have a question. When I drill holes through my transome for my livewell intakes, is there a way to seal the raw wood that is left after drilling?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, drill the holes 1/4" oversized. Fill em with PB Resin and then after a couple of days, drill the correct sized holes.;)

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sorry, my son is trying to show me how to post the pics. boy am i dumb:facepalm: