74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is some fancy footwork on the old rusted parts wire brushed and primed

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice, it sure as heck is progress to see some odd shapes of over spray on various surfaces :thumb:

I still have them around my place :lol:

Decker83

Commander
Decker83... can you show pics of the airway wheels and canton flannel... and explain them and any info on where to get them... I am a prime member of Amazon...

Here are some links to Busch polishing products that I have used. http://www.buschshineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_29_45&products_id=75 and I'm going to use the zephyr products this weekend. https://zephyrpro40.com/home/1-zeph...lish-16oz.html?search_query=pro+40&results=26

You can do a search on u-tube for polishing aluminum and get some good ideals on what and how to use.. I also googled airstream trailers and found some good info..
Hope this helps.. ​

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Fellah's... I am back... I was going over all the pics and posts and I have to tell you its a good thing that I joined here for many reasons while disassembling this boat but now I see that this site will be priceless putting it back together... its been so long and I am looking at just many piles of stuff strewed all over the cellar and see that I am going to have problems... Just the bolts and screws alone is daunting but here I go... I hope that being away for so long has not disappointment you all... I did have my shoulder done but other personal things have also gotten in the way... I pretty much hibernated most of the time the last two years... But I am Back... I have spent over $12,000.00 and believe that I have everything I need to build my dream Fishing Boat that I will Name "The Assassin" as in Salmon Assassin... One thing that you all my be interested in is the BFP60A1XLTA motor By Honda... it has a trolling control switch on the remote control that adjusts RPM's by 50 with every click between 1000rpm's and 750rpm's... It was the only 60hp motor by Honda that had the 25 inch transom lower unit... I know that I am just a child compared to the age of some of you but I am praying that it will last the rest of my fishing days(life).

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did strip all the paint from the sides of the boat and tried everything known to man and just could not make it appear as I wanted... within hours I could see the grey coming out and after a week I could not bare the site of the aluminum looking less than perfect... so I have been painting the boat a little here and a little there for the past two years... I will post picks as soon as I dig it from the snow and get it on the trailer or maybe some while it is upside down on the dock where it has been for way too long... The paint stayed on the stripped sides very well but the transom the paint has not adhered at all... Whats up with that??? I used the same self etching primer and paint but so far no luck... I will sand it again and try paint again and keep my fingers crossed... crappy weather this week but as soon as I can get some help moving the boat onto the trailer it will be balls to the wall...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a price of $1700.00 for the O.E.M. top with clear side curtains and rear cover... sounds like alot to me... I have the hardware... what do you think???

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did strip all the paint from the sides of the boat and tried everything known to man and just could not make it appear as I wanted... within hours I could see the grey coming out and after a week I could not bare the site of the aluminum looking less than perfect... so I have been painting the boat a little here and a little there for the past two years... I will post picks as soon as I dig it from the snow and get it on the trailer or maybe some while it is upside down on the dock where it has been for way too long... The paint stayed on the stripped sides very well but the transom the paint has not adhered at all... Whats up with that??? I used the same self etching primer and paint but so far no luck... I will sand it again and try paint again and keep my fingers crossed... crappy weather this week but as soon as I can get some help moving the boat onto the trailer it will be balls to the wall...

Maybe a bit of oil and grease residue embedded in the transom? I would scrub it well with mineral spirits or a degreaser then spirits. Good luck getting her put back together.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Will... Welcome aboard... Every degreaser, every mineral spirits along with some African Juju spirits... Jojo hand cleaner with pumice, oven cleaner, CLP, Drano and others... seems the age of the aluminum, time its self, is the issue... I shined it up beautiful and sealed it with clear lacquer, only to watch the aluminum slowly turn grey...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have come to like the paint... I will take pics tomorrow and try my luck at putting them on photo bucket and onto this site... it has been some time but I should be able to get thru it...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you WaterMann... I am happy to see that I have not been completely abandoned... I fell guilty haveing been gone so long without a word but I am back and here to stay.... here is what she looks like now...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its all Rustoium with a little over spray here and there from the wind... 3 thin coats... sand... 3 thin coats... sand... 3 thin coats... sand... Paint and clear Laquer... as you can see from the pics there is stil ice on the lake... in southern Maine some of the lakes are open, but I am going to put most of my free time into this boat... I am hoping that today I can find some help to get it onto the trailer so that I can paint the bow and get the transom in... which reminds me I have stripped that stern again because the paint is not sticking well... I am wondering how to drill all the needed holes into the new transom... I have saved my old one but I am not sure if I line up the bottoms and sides if the old transom was put in correct... what say you... As you can see I have clad the new transom in aluminum after applying two cans of Gluvit...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you notice the rivet lines on the bottom of the boat... must have been done on Monday morning after a weekend toot, or Friday night running late for that weekend toot???... inside I can see where some of the rivets barely hit the ribs... I have put Gluvit on all the rivets below water just in case... When I first got her I filled the boat with the garden hose and left her over night and she did not leak a drop... to my amazement for a 43 year old boat...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe that I have purchased and recieved all the parts and accessories that I need to complete the job... I am concerned about the old steering Helm and Cable... everything I could buy by Honda I did buy... The gauges, controls, cables are very well made and look great... I think as this boat comes together with the help from this community you all will be proud... All My Best... SkidRowBill

Watermann

Yeah for some reason all the followers were bumped off your thread and weren't getting any updates to your thread. I found it by looking at the SC forum upper level for new stuff.

Put the new transom back in the boat, mark holes, remove and drill through 90 degrees. It helps to have a drill guide to make sure they're perfectly straight.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks WaterMann... are the old friends getting my posts now... if not is there something I can do? where can I find a drill guide to fit dewalt 18V? I was looking at the holes in the boat... the stern was fine but you could see where they missed on the inside... Thanks for the info... I going to check Amazon...

Watermann

I think they'll have to find your thread again Bill, they aren't getting the updates but I am now that I posted on your thread again.

The bit that spins the drill will fit you chuck just fine.Just don't get a guide that's a lot of plastic. I'll look for the one I bought and send you a link after dinner.