72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Yeah, unfortunately those aren't Mfg. defects...that's just the way they built most of 'em...:facepalm:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sweet boat, cool story! I would like to come aboard as well if you don't mind.

Mark72233

Ensign
Nurseman welcome aboard. I just read your post today and subscribed so I could follow along. I will be lurking in the shadows and watching yours. Good luck on it.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool project & story to go along with it. Subscribed! Can't wait to see how it turns out, gonna be nice when it's done. Twin i6's now that's cool! -Jim

Mark72233

Ensign
Jim I just re-read your thread. I like the new engine choice of course. I wish I had the fresh water system you have, I don't know anything about them. I guess they are called heat exchangers. The Formula is a heavy boat but it runs well with the twin 165s. It would run about 45mph with 4 divers and gear on board and it loved going fast in 4 foot seas. The combination of the deep V and weight of the boat with twin engine allowed it to fly through rough seas. I can't wait to get her back in the Gulf.

Mark72233

Ensign
I don't know if the picture will be viewable but if it is this is a picture of my dad on the Formula enjoying the day in the Gulf trolling for Kings. I think he is about to open a can of Vienna Sausages. I would never think about eating them on land but a long day on the water changes your prospective on what is edible or not. Out in the Gulf they tasted great. Along with some sardines in mustard and crackers and we were good to go.

Mark72233

Ensign
Another pictures from when the Formula was running. A good day diving for Shovel nose lobsters or bugs.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Quick math here, my 25ft with a full cabin has 330hp 454.. so you should theoretically have the 'same' power in that, but the advantage of twins, and I'm guessing a bit lighter than mine.. should go pretty good! :thumb:

Mark72233

Ensign
I had a little time last night before the rain was supposed to start so I removed most of the floor. I took one picture today. Tonight I will be taking several pictures of the stringers because some of them are solid (after tapping and core samples) and some are not and I will have some questions on how to proceed next.

Mark72233

Ensign
After cutting the floor out or at least most of it I am liking what I see. Most of the stringers are solid (I know you have heard that story already). I did drill holes high,middle and low in the stringers from aft to the cuddy cabin door. Here is what I have found and my questions.

This is in the bilge, motor mount for the twin engines and a bulk head. This is straight forward, both are rotted and will be cut out.

This is the fuel bay to the right and the port main stringer. Ignore the last piece of decking it is being stubborn. The first 18 inches from the bulk head forward are a little wet and then from there all the way to the bow the wood is solid and dry. The fiberglass is tight against the wood and I see no issues. I was thinking of cutting that first 24 inches out and replacing it with fresh 3/4 exterior ply. Does that sound ok and how would I do it.

This is the transom port side along with the port bilge stringer. It is also dry and solid except the first few inches which are a little wet probably from the drain hole that was drilled right at the transom and the base of the stringer. It appears where these type of drain areas were created they did not seal the wood inside the cut area. I was thinking of again just cutting it out from the transom forward about a foot or at least well into dry solid wood. Same question as above.

The transom there is no question on it is mushy in several spot down low and one spot high on the port corner.

Mark72233

Ensign
Scored an entire engine package on ebay. Had to take a 6 hour round trip to Jacksonville,Fl to look at it but once I saw it I bought it on the spot. Elbow and manifold brand new. Everything on the engine and drive works.

Now back to cutting the stringers and transom out and making my first order to US Composites today.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sweet! Engine and drive look clean! Hey let me know if you need any parts for the MC-1 drive. I have a few parts I won't be needing since I'm using an Alpha one. I still have a complete MC-1 outdrive, trim pump, transom bracket, throttle control, trim switches, flywheel plate...to name a few ;)

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Woe, I may take you up on that. I will send you a private message later.

Mark72233

Ensign
Does anyone have a good cheaper source for Acetone then big box stores at $17 a gallon.

Mark72233

Ensign
Never mind that last question I just did a google search at several distributors and it looks like lowes and HDepot have the cheapest Acetone.

MrDyce

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there Mark,
Looks like you are going to town on the boat. Cant wait to see the outcome. Seeing other Formula posts puts a fire under my butt to get busy on mine.

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Dyce, I placed my US Composite order yesterday. picking up my plywood today. ordered my new fuel tank. I also found a 10x30 canopy to put the entire boat and trailer under for only $130 delivered. Every time I cut something else out of the boat I cringe because my dad loved this boat and would never have tried this restoration because It meant cutting her apart which he would never have done.

Mark72233

Ensign
Does anyone have a copy of capacity sticker for a 1972 Thunderbird Formula 233. I found a company that will replicate them but I need a copy to send them.