72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
KFC is correct no clear
For a guy that was afraid to use a spray gun you sure did a great job and I think awesome is a understatement

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Made it up to page 11 Mark just after the tank install .. Quite the project ya got going on ! Hope to get all caught up over the next few evenings ..
The paints looking great .. The more you use the hvlp the better you will get with it .. Not sure about the clear over the topside rusto but for the reg enamel I would not use the clear .. If you have to touch up any scratches it's super easy to do as long as there is no clear .. I think the clear would make it much harder to touch up .. But I,m no pro so take that for what it,s worth ..
Asking permission to come aboard sir !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup No Clear Coat. Wet sand with 800 and then 1000 grit and then hit it with a buffer and polish and it'll shine like glass. But, I'd wait a week or so before I did anything.

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
kcassells, I thought I read somewhere to use clear over coat but I am thinking I was wrong and thanks for the compliment.

ahmincha, I think your right, no clear coat. Thanks but I still think awesome was a stretch😁

sphelps, I am a big fan and welcome aboard.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! We have another painter!!! great work!!! Looks really good Mark!! Like wog said, follow the words of the the OKIE!!! You are shooting a single stage paint... no need for clear. its already in it.

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Cor means a lot coming from you. Wood, question. I only have one coat so far. What do I do before the second coat. Wet sand with the 320? Than after the second coat let it harden for a week before I hit it with the 1000 grit?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work mark! After using the gun for a while you will wonder why you ever had a roller and brush!

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice work and it is my recommendation that you keep using the word "awesome" since that is the only word I can think of that describes it! I am no where near the painting stage yet but I have been struggling whether I attempt to do it myself or farm it out when the time comes. Right now my confidence level is at 51% for doing it myself after seeing your results.

Keep up the good work

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Cor means a lot coming from you. Wood, question. I only have one coat so far. What do I do before the second coat. Wet sand with the 320? Than after the second coat let it harden for a week before I hit it with the 1000 grit?

Yup, light wet sand with 320 then shoot #2 then wait a week or so then do the 1000 grit and polish. Then use it for a mirror!!!:eek::D;)

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks for the compliments Arch & 89 Resorter I do appreciate them.

Wood, thanks and cant wait to put on coat number 2. May have to wait a day or two we have rain chances all day today and Wednesday and its raining pretty good right now so the weather man might be right on this one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I remember those days when I was trying to Paint my boat. I didn't think it was EVER gunna stop raining. AND we had those Twisty things going on too!!!:eek:

Mark72233

Ensign
I hear ya there. Thankfully our twisty things only come around here during certain times of the year but they are much bigger then your twisty things and bring several of those smaller twisty things with them. Luckily we haven't had a hurricane near here in about a decade but it gets a little scary when they are drifting around in the Gulf looking for some place to go.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I don't think I'd Like your style of Big Twisty's!!! I've seen what they do!!!!!:eek:

Mark72233

Ensign
I lived in Wichita Kansas for a few years when I was young, didn't like when the sirens sounded. Tornados in hurricanes is unpredictable as most any weather is. One hurricane that hit just west of us dropped over 50 tornados on our county in just a few hours, that was not a good day.

Mark72233

Ensign
Well here is another issue I found last night. Still waiting for the weather to clear up so I can continue with painting so I am back to engine work. When I put the engine block on 2x4s I noticed the rear motor mounts sat over 1 1/2" lower than the front motor mounts. At the time I didn't give it much thought and figured its because its not sitting in the boat so I shoved another 2x4 under the back and moved on to other things. Well Tuesday I went back and looked at the pictures I took during the tear down process last August/September time frame. Take lots of pictures from every angle during tear down and refer to them often during rebuild. I noticed the front motor mount looks different then the one I have on there now. The one I have on there was from one of the donor engines and looks brand new so I used it. I went back through my bins and found the old front motor mounts and as the pictures below show they are way different :facepalm:.

The motor mount in the boat was made using the measurements I took from the old deck and engine mounts so this new one is not going to work. So I guess its time to tear down the old ones and replace some of the worn parts and put a fresh coat of paint on them. I am glad I found this now and not the day I am putting the engine in the boat. Oh well the fun of DIY :frusty: