72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That sucks about the pix mark! you do have quite a bit of a difference between the high and low number. Hopefully you can get those closer when you adjust the last. try the gun out, once you get used to it you will throw away the roller :D Just make consistent passes, with about a 50% overlap. Is it a HVPL or a conventional gun?

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch, they are brand new in the box set of 3 HVLP. I had sent a PM to Corjen since his outboard and boat are looking so good and it happened to be the set he recommended so I have that and the compressor covered. I just need some in line filters and figure out how to set it all up in the back yard under the canopy since I can't move the boat yet. I had to work the road last night until about 4am so just getting up and heading out to start setting up.

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok, I have sanded down my first coat of sprayed on paint with a HVLP (High Volume Low Preassure) gun. Didn't turn out to bad and gives me practical practice. Just put down the second coat, was a little easier this time and no runs.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you shooting paint or primer? On a practice piece? You can use card board for practice....

Mark72233

Ensign
I just went back out and inspected my work, it looks pretty good. Consistent all the way across the transom. I hope the color coats turn out that nice. Now once this is dry I guess hit it with a light wet sanding with 320 before I put the first coat of color?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mark, you know none of this is true with out pix......:eek:

Mark72233

Ensign
True, true. Corjen disregard that Pm question about your paint color I saw it is the Rustoleum Royal Blue. I wanted to paint mine a navy blue and just found a Rustoleum boat paint at one of the big box stores that is UV topside paint.

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok trying this from my phone. Here are 3 pics of the transom with 2 coats of primer using the spray gun. Monday I will sand it with 320 and maybe hit it with the first coat of color, Navy Blue.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You know you can make just about any color of Rustoleum you want from the Rusoleum Pro paint. to make a quart of Navy blue from the royal blue I'd say you'd ad a pint of black and a 1/2 pint of white.;) You might also find this interesting for your HVLP gun...http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/set-up-hvlp.html
Will you be using the hardener in your color coats?

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I am not about to try and mix paint colors 🙀🙈. I would end up with multiple shades of Navy Blue. The quart of paint I was going to use is about $10 the boat paint was $13 and the color looks good, it also has UV protection. Do I still use the same methods and recipe, 50% Acetone like I did with the primer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, That topside paint will work just fine. If the temps are in the 90's I'd use a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Acetone. I'd Try and Paint early in the mornings, I'd set the volume on the gun down low and the fan just open a bit. Pressure @ about 38 psi at the handle. It should flow pretty well doing that. Make sure the Paint cooks for 30 minutes with the hardener and stir every ten minutes. Keep a MS damp rag handy and keep the nozzle clean while you're shooting.

Mark72233

Ensign
Got home and wet sanded the primer with 320. Cleaned up and decided to put a coat of color on it.

It's only the first coat. But it looks pretty good. Question, after it drys do I lightly wet sand it to knock down the orange peel. After 2-3 coats of color I guess I still need to hit it with a couple of coats of clear coat? Anyway I am pretty happy for my first try. No runs, no drips, no errors😜 and that would be because I had no clue how to do it so I listened to Wood and Corjen and read everyone's blogs and post and took the advise given. So thanks you to everyone on iboats, when I'm done with this boat it's going to be awesome. Ok maybe awesome is a stretch ☺️ anyway time for some 🍻

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mark,
As usual...nice work. I believe I read somewhere you do not want to put on a clear coat. let's see what others say. has something to do with future
repairs and matching up.