70's era 15' Yarcraft yankee project question

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
great thanks! I did my fillets and tabbing today (first time ever doing anything with fiberglass and epoxy). I did not do a great job on the fillets so I had to do some grinding to get to where I could lay my tabs down. Even at that I am a little concerned that I didn't get it good enough so I don't have little air pockets. I guess I'll find out tomorrow :grumpy:. If all goes well I should be able to get my first layer of 17oz on and maybe even the second. I'll get some pics in the morning, gotta grab a beer:very_drunk:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, we'll take a look at the pics and help guide you from there. No Worries!!! It's all a bit concerning at first, but after you've done a few fillets and layups you'll get the hang of it and be a PRO!!! Just don't let it get ya!!! We've all been there soooo just keep askin and we'll keep helpin!!!!

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

So here it is. Not perfect but I think its not too bad for my first time?

Attachments

• photo230444.jpg
    photo230444.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well it looks pretty darn good to me!!! One thing for sure...You left plenty of room for the Filleting!!!!:eek::D;) What did you use to smooth the fillet? At what period of time did you smooth the fillet? What was your mix ratio for the PB? Did the OOZE holes fill with PB good? Hard to see in the pic.

Last edited:

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya, it took a fair amount of PB! I used a large plastic spoon that you would use for cooking and "smoothed" it as soon as I put it in. As for the PB mix... I just eye balled it. I mixed the resin then added some 1/4" chop strand then the cabosil until I was happy with the consistency. I used the ziploc bag method to apply it then took the spoon to it. The holes you see are actually screws. I used them when laminating the plywood together to help hold, I decided just to leave them in there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh, ok. Well again the install looks good. When filleting, you want to go back over the fillet when it start to kick with a putty knife and smooth it out to knock down the nubs so it'll be nice and smooth when you go to lay the glass. Or use a Larger plastic spoon dipped in Mineral Spirits and go over em again an smooth em out again

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got my two layers of 17oz on my transom yesterday. Went ok, it took a lot more resin than I was expecting. Everything feels solid now but there is a little bit of a tack. Not enough that my fingers feel sticky after touching it or that I can poke a finger nail into it but enough to notice when touching it. Is it possible that it has not fully cured yet? The temps in the garage were between 75-70 from when I finished at 9 last night.

Another random thought. has anyone used flex seal to paint their transom and bilge?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
With those temps it could take a bit longer to fully cure!!!;) I would NOT use Flex Seal On ANYTHING!!!!

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I might be getting a head of my self but I have been thinking about my control cables. When I got the boat they were just laying in the 'open compartment' that is pointed out in the pic in red. I would like to know if that is the normal way to run them? hiding them under the area in blue probably wont work as it is filled with foam. I have attached a pic but unfortunately it's of the opposite side but should give you an idea of what I am talking about. I have also attached a pic of the foam.

Attachments

• photo230689.JPG
    photo230689.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo230690.JPG
    photo230690.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd think about hollowing out a place in the foam and see if you could attach a pvc tube up there to run the cable thru.:joyous:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Unless it's a center console the wiring harness and steering cable are typically run inside the gunnel on the helm side. If you want to hide them and the foam doesn't leave enough space to tuck them up out of sight I'd say you aren't going to lose much if you were to make a channel in the foam to get them tucked in there.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
sounds like a plan! thanks guys. FYI, im hoping to PB in 2 of my 3 stringers tonight :)

eavega

Lieutenant
oba97, I use to have a '76 Yarcraft Yankee. The wires, steering, and control cables were indeed run under the helm-side gunnel. What I remember was that there was a heavy-duty cardboard tube set in the foam under the gunnel, and everything ran through there. The PVC idea would be equivalent to what came originally on that boat!

Rgds

-E

Picture of my 1976 Yarcraft Yankee

556941_4142703413653_323206803_n.jpg

Last edited:

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I have problems :mad:. I was trimming the excess glass on the top part of my transom when it started to 'pull'. I was able to strip a couple sections of glass off. I think it might have been resin starved because the parts that pealed off were stringy. In the pics you can see how they pealed off diagonally. What now? Do I need to sand it all off :eek: or maybe do another layer of 17oz? Right now there is 6oz tab and two layers of 17oz biax. I believe just the second layer was what pulled.

Attachments

• photo231214.JPG
    photo231214.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo231215.JPG
    photo231215.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
did you pre-coat the plywood prior to laying down your first layer of glass? At the very least I'd use some vice grips and see how much I could pull and peel away now. Best to know now than later. Once you've determined what's really good and stuck you can grind and feather and then re-apply new stuff. You're using epoxy...right?? Are you sure you used the right Hardener to resin ratio? Are you sure the hardener was good? This is kinda unusual with Epoxy but not totally unheard of. Was the plywood good and clean and free of any and all contaminates??

Last edited:

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did pre-coat then lay my first layer. I am using epoxy, everything was bought from UScomposites (3 to 1). I am confident that I used the correct ratio because the left over resin set up nice and hard in the bottom of the mixing container. All of my fillets have been rock solid as well. I'll pull what I can away and re-glass. From what I can tell the first layer is stuck firm to the wood, it looks to be an issue with the bond between the 1st and 2nd layer??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How long of a time period was there between the first and second layer? Amine Blush may be the culprit!!!! Did you wash it and sand it prior to the subsequent layer??

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I waited about 6 hours (I think) it was still tacky. I didn't wash it, cant remember if I roughed it up??? I don't think so because of the tack. Come to think of it I did wonder a little if I waited to long but decided to go for it.