5th Wheel Owners..Help..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looking at a 5th wheel. Never owned one, but been around my in-laws a dozen years ago. They had a 32' Hitchhiker II. We've always been tenters, but a house on wheels is sounding better and better...... Anyway, this one is for sale just down the road. We toured it. It's like new. Used little, about 4 months total. Looks just like the one in the link. They show inside pix too. That price is at some dealer..

It comes with a transferable 2yr warranty. 2011 Keystone Copper Canyon....... Asking $20K will give us the hitch too.

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Kete...WRET-114626218

Opinions? Honesty is preferred.... :) Everything is supposed to work. Has auto leveling jacks on all 4 corners.....

Thanks fellas,
Musky

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Keystone makes a pretty good 5th wheel, have not heard many things about them, have done routine service on a few of them for my buddies shop. My wife and I have camped in several different types of RV's and the 5th wheel is the way to go if you want ultimate comfort. What you need to be looking at, is make sure the fridge works in all modes, make sure there are no recalls on the fridge, there have quite a few of them over the years that have had electrical situations, check the furnace, water heater, water pump, toilet, shower, make sure it has not been subjected to winter damage by freezing. There are a lot of little things that can go wrong on RV's if it has a slide, make sure those hydraulic pumps are serviced and working correctly, they are expensive to replace or repair.

How often do you camp each year? Have you ever pulled one before, what hitch is he giving with the trailer and how does it need to be mounted in your tow vehicle? How are you going to get the boat to your camping spot if towing the 5th wheel? Like a boat, there is always something to do on an RV to keep it up to snuff.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks for the reply MT. The trailer is still winterized. Apparently they didn't use it this year. His wife hates it. She never tows it, but still looks in the side mirror and complains about the monstrosity they're towing, even tho it isn't that big. They both told me she hates it...Lol

All the plumbing is Pex(sp), so I guess even if it does freeze it won't burst? It has 2 slides. I guess since it still has a bumper to bumper 2 yr warranty left I'm not too concerned. He sez everything works fine. It's only 4 years old and hasn't been used for at least one of them. I realize not to trust anyone,, but they're an older retired couple and live only a couple miles away(still no reason to trust, but hey....). I don't think they would burn a neighbor. In this town?(bush) everyone knows everybody. We have common friends...

To test everything, wouldn't I have to hook up to a 50amp service? Or, can I hook up 110 to a house? I'm assuming I can run some stuff off the house. Is there backup batteries? She ran the tv up and down. You hit a button and the tv pops up from the entertainment center...... You know, the important things...Lol Boats and cars I'm up on, trailers, not so much. It is kinda frustrating. That's why that warranty is attractive........

Never towed a 5th wheel. But I hear they pull great and are easier to maneuver than non 5th wheels. No jackknifing. Should be able to make sharp turns when backing up. Just something to get used to. The longest thing I've towed is a 24' w/cuddy. With the length of the tongue it should be close to this 27'.

How often we're going to use it? Not sure what you're getting at. He has a Reese hitch on rails. Boat would stay home for a while until I would get comfortable enough to tow that too.... Wouldn't need it on the Gulf in 'Bama..... :)

Were playing a cat and mouse game right now. They know we like it and I told him I can have the money today. They also know we want to work on the price. And at this minute they want to stick with the asking price...

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The reason I asked about use, it because like homes big RV's don't like to sit empty and not be used, you still have to do the upkeep on it and the less you use it, the higher cost to own is. Like I have mentioned I help a buddy of mine with his RV shop and it is amazing how many 5th wheels and trailer that get sold to him because like the people you are talking to, just don't use them. I have a 29 footer and it has not been out this year and I only used it once last summer for three days.

Reese is a good hitch, it is what I have for my trailer. 5th wheels are easier to two than bumper pull as long as the hitch is set up correctly, if you are going to install, just make sure you read the manual on it, cause missing placement on one in the bed of the truck can make a world of difference on how they tow.

You can plug it in at your house, I actually just had a 50 amp plug wired in at the power meter at my place for the RV, but it can also be plugged in with an adapter designed for 50-30 or 50 to standard home service, I would recommend making sure if you are plugging in at the house, that the circuit be a minimum of 20 amps. What is nice about the newer RV's is the the electrical converter system is normally a protection circuit as well and will not allow overloading the 110 system. Now that said, You A/C is going to be the largest draw in the RV, they have high start up loads and then as all compressor units they level out the load they are drawing.

Should be batteries in the front compartment under the overhang, that should be where your propane tanks are as well.

Once the biggest things I see with new 5th wheel owners is they drop the trailer on the truck, because they don't secure the pin on the trailer correctly or they have not raised it up high enough when they are setting up, pull forward and the trailer drops on the truck bed.

They are fun to own, comfortable to stay in and also can be a killer on fuel mileage.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My truck just has a 5.7 Hemi. I'm guessing it would get 6 - 8 mpg. Hopefully better.... He said it towed real easy... But he had a 6.? liter Ford... A little bit bigger.... I would bring it in and have the "experts" install the hitch.

Ya, just like boats, nothing likes to sit for long periods of time. Use it or have it fall apart.... I need to start my boat yet this year.....Lol

It has 2 35lb propane tanks up front. Batteries/propane under the bed...Hmmm..... I guess all the other tanks are 35 gal. The frig is duel fuel, elec/propane..... I believe the stove is propane. It has a thermal package. He really wasn't sure what that was.... Nor do I.....

And he did drop it on his truck. Yep, the pin wasn't right..... oooops..... That would suck...

I know we would like it. Just a matter of getting thru the 1st couple trip jitters. Especially the 1st one. Stay local.... Maybe practice in the school parking lot.....

But, no deal yet. I saw the same trailer on C/L, except a 29', for the same price. This one has been on C/L for 3 weeks. No pix! What's he thinking? Duh...

He's only had 1 other person interested besides me and they only had a 1/2 ton...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It should have two 40 pound LPG tanks, that has been the standard on this style of trailer for decades now. The fridge being two way has been standard for a long time now, but there are some that has a 12v mode so they can maintain cool while traveling, most of us leave the the LP going if traveling a long ways, or turn it off, then back on when we get to our destination if it is within 50 miles. Water heater could be a combo LP and Electric, but most likely a DSI LP model. Range is LP.

Thermal package normally indicates extra insulation, and possibly the pipes have been wrapped. They are normally associated with northern tier states, but they are starting to show up in the southern states because it helps make the A/C work better.

They are not hard to tow, it does take a bit of time to learn the swing when going around sharp corners and a 5th wheel swings way different than a bumper pull trailer when backing up.

It should have brakes on both axles, so you want to make sure you get a good progressive type brake controller, if you don't already have one

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The brake controller is mounted in the dash of my truck. It came part of the truck. No more drilling holes for an aftermarket. It's about time.. It should be easier to backup and put it where it should go.... Maybe he misspoke on the 35# tanks.... We're still in a holding pattern. I suppose one is waiting for the other to call..... I'm in no rush. His wife is tho....Lol

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Check the floor for soft spots!
Hot water tanks pit both from the inside and out. Condensation on the outside because of the insulation and the bubbling water inside while heating pits the aluminum.
Has the unit been sitting along time? frame rusted? (has it been sitting on grass or on pavement/gravel/concrete.
Has the roof ever been repaired due to snow load/water leaking in? (look for discolouring of the ceiling)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Hot water tanks pit both from the inside and out. Condensation on the outside because of the insulation and the bubbling water inside while heating pits the aluminum.
Has the unit been sitting along time? frame rusted? (has it been sitting on grass or on pavement/gravel/concrete.
Has the roof ever been repaired due to snow load/water leaking in? (look for discolouring of the ceiling)

:lol:

:croc:

:eek:

:scared:

Really?

You did see this is a travel trailer, Right!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
YUP!, and I gotta da pictures to prove a travel trailers is much like an 1980s bayliner, or can be. (remember my little project on the go????)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
YUP!, and I gotta da pictures to prove a travel trailers is much like an 1980s bayliner, or can be. (remember my little project on the go????)

Bite your tongue! It sounded like you were talking about boat, but a '80s Bayliner????!!:facepalm::laugh: You really know how to get a guy stoked up...:rolleyes:

So are 5th wheels like boats? The 2 happiest days are when you buy and sell????

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Hey bud, Yup, those trailers suffer from all the same stuff as boats do. soft floors around any water intrusion, mostly around the wheel wells and the bathroom/kitchen, or under hot water tank (dry rot)
Snow load will buckle the roof, as was said check for discoloration in the ceiling it will show leaks (learned that one when I had to rebuild my 10 foot camper)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Everything is under lock and key on the side doors except for the LP tanks. There is no rust or wear in those compartments. The compartments aren't very big so 35#s may be right. Not sure tho. I can see the vent for the heater from the outside and the instructions. That plate looks brand new. No rust underneath. There is a belly pan that bolts on to the frame rails. So all I can see is the outside of the rails. No idea how it was stored. Decals aren't faded. 2 new tires on the front on each side. Nubbin's are still there. I climbed the ladder and the top looks to be one piece. There is 4 plastic type boxes. The center one must be the A/C. Those had mildew and the top had some mildew. So it must have spent time outside. I assume that can be cleaned? I know the plastic should. The inside didn't have a hint of any smells. Mildew/mold or anything else. They must be non smokers too....... I did look at the ceiling and didn't notice any stains. I wish I was inside today after we had a downpour......

Welcome to the club Wim..

:lol:

We aint there yet, MT......... Say, the rack and pinion for the slide outs, should they have grease? They looked dry.... No chipped paint on the front.....

And the thermal package looks like it's the bellypan, flexpex and 60 btu heater... That's what the sticker said on the outside...

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it has a 60K BTU furnace, then it has a thermal package, that would also lead me to believe it has a 15K BTU A/C unit. If I remember right Keystone, used a spray on grease on those slides, which is clear and kind of snotty looking, but does not wash off.

Does this trailer have a rubber roof? or does it have an aluminum roof and is the belly pan aluminum, or is a fiber impregnated cloth? If a rubber roof, check to see it is not growing mildew in areas around the vents, that is pretty common on rubber roofed units, not a big deal, but it does need to be sprayed with a mildew neutralizers and then brushed off and treated to help prevent further growth. If t has a fiber impregnated belly pan, make sure there are no punctures anywhere, if it does, it needs to have heavy duty tape repairs done, so water perforation does not happen and cause mold and mildew in the insulation.

The next time you look at it, let me know what the actual model number of the trailer is and I will run down to my buddies RV shop and we can look it up to see if there is any weird reports on it. As I stated, I have never heard anything weird about these trailers, but I can double check based on region.

I just looked up the brochure for this trailer, here is a link to it:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=-3qXGCkI5xcK_qC5cUHyLQ&bvm=bv.97653015,d.cGU

Nice looking unit.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Hey bud, Yup, those trailers suffer from all the same stuff as boats do. soft floors around any water intrusion, mostly around the wheel wells and the bathroom/kitchen, or under hot water tank (dry rot)
Snow load will buckle the roof, as was said check for discoloration in the ceiling it will show leaks (learned that one when I had to rebuild my 10 foot camper)

Wern't you rebuilding a Airstream type trailer? if so, how is that working out?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Must be a rubber roof and full of mildew "dots". There's mildew on the A/C unit and the other boxes, whatever they're for....... Why rubber and not al. ? Is one better than the other. Looks like it has tiny gutters too...

Thanks for the link! We're looking at the 273fwret. Not crazy about the floor plan. The table is across from the couch and the tv doesn't swivel, I don't think. The rest of the plan is fine..... I see they show the floor plan in the link. The bellypan looks almost corregated..... It's solid, not holes or even dirt etc...

Gotta run... Talk later... Thanks for the info...

Looks like it only comes with a rubber roof.... I thought it felt weird....

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Hm, Looks like a typical couple of year old rubber roof, they have tried all kinds of additives to the EPDM rubber and still have not overcome the mildew problem. Rubber started to come into favor many years ago, and most of them have a 12 year warranty on them, but that is provided you clean and maintain them as prescribed by the manufacture.

That one needs to be cleaned and treated with rubber roof coat, it almost looks like it has been parked under trees in a moist climate. There are several products that will clean them, but it does need to be cleaned, which if done professionally is several hundreds of dollars, so you might use that as a negotiating point. What happens if they are not treated correctly, the UV allows a chalk film to grow from deterioration then the mildew grows in that chalky film.

Don't get me wrong, rubber roofs in the RV world is the norm now a days and cared for correctly they last a long time, aluminum has feel out of favor because of the electrolysis problems it is prone to.

You should have a minimum of 2 roof vents on that one, I see both of them, they are under the boxes that say camping world on them, the long box on the left side of the picture is the fridge vent, then you have a radio antenna forward and a TV antenna back by the A/C. The A/C is mounted in place of the mid-ship vent. Should also be a plumbing vent up there somewhere, they are normally about 4 inches in diameter and about 3 inches tall.

All in all, it is a good looking rig and with proper care, last a long time, I like those filon sided units, just make sure that the unit is showing no signs of bubbling on the siding, if it does, that means the roof/wall joint has failed and it is leaking.