5L not getting water into block!

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Lx kid I've got a question. On your gimbal ring it looks like a bolt in the center of the two clamping bolts. Kinda like someone taped it and installed a bolt to tighten up the steering? Or maybe I'm seeing things.. By the way you need the correct thermostat housing. You should have a water line to each riser..

LX Kid

Ensign
Lx kid I've got a question. On your gimbal ring it looks like a bolt in the center of the two clamping bolts. Kinda like someone taped it and installed a bolt to tighten up the steering? Or maybe I'm seeing things.. By the way you need the correct thermostat housing. You should have a water line to each riser..

This something I did back in 2011 to tighten up the steering. I had about 3" each direction in the steering.

Here's my old posting if you care to check it out.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...g-alternative-repair-thinking-outside-the-box

LX Kid

Ensign
My gaskets came in the mail this afternoon. Gonna install the exhaust manifold in the morning, crank it up and see what I got. I bled the lower unit of all the old 90w and put in new Quicksilver 90w. Had to use a little air pressure to get the new 90w to start flowing out the lowers drain hole. Guess I'll take the fill line off the upper and squeeze tube lube in the drain hole to make sure the lower has proper lubrication.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I bled the lower unit of all the old 90w and put in new Quicksilver 90w. Had to use a little air pressure to get the new 90w to start flowing out the lowers drain hole. Guess I'll take the fill line off the upper and squeeze tube lube in the drain hole to make sure the lower has proper lubrication.

Ayuh,.... The drives are drained by removin' the top, 'n bottom screw, 'n let it drain,....

Drives are filled by pumpin' new oil in through the bottom drain screw, til it runs out the top level screw,....

On a Gen.II, you can continue pumpin' til the bottle is to the full line,....

'n ya still need the right t-stat housin',....

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
And on the drives that have the bottle make sure you loosen the cap. That thermostat housing is not correct. Just get the right one.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This something I did back in 2011 to tighten up the steering. I had about 3" each direction in the steering.

You really have to get this boat repaired correctly. I cannot be offering help to get this "grenade:" back on the water when the steering failure will KILL you ,your passengers and some innocent person. That repair will let go and its just a matter of time. I would not feel good knowing I had helped you .
Be prepared for a very hard left turn when it breaks loose and hopefully you will be wearing the lanyard for safety
BEFORE KILL SOMEONE
Have a Nice Day.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree. You took a lot of strength out of that gimble ring by drilling that 1/2 hole.lx kid that is not safe and WILL SPLIT. Not a good thing to experiment on.. By the looks of your shop and set up you should have no problem fixing it the write way.. Hope things work out .

LX Kid

Ensign
Thanks for everyone's help. I don't want to influence anyone that may go down the road I'm traveling. I'd hate to think that I could possibly "Kill Someone" economically trying to keep this 34 year old boat afloat. Thanks again for everyone's help. This posting is finished. Best Regards