23' 1970 Uniflite Express Hardtop Cruiser - Resto

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Our '64 Starcraft Jupiter has been serving us well

But a larger family required a larger vessel. And that's when i found it - 23' 1970 Uniflite Express Cruiser w/ Hardtop. I'll be posting my progress here
Below is how she sits, in drydock,

Last edited:

Rustedbrit

Seaman
bilge cleaned, sanded, cleaned again and prepped for epoxy garage floor paint - you can catch a glimpse of the dual 33 gal galvanized steel gas tanks on either side.

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Removed the old gas tanks - old gas smells good - until you drive 45min w/ them in the car

Drain plugs were stuck, so i drilled holes to empty them - at that point i had already decided not to re-use them. Both were full of sediment - it was pouring out of the one in this pic

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Installed two new moeller poly tanks w/ new plumbing/ vents and deck fills. You can also see new wood along the upper edge of the gunwale. Originally made of 3 separate pieces of fir, i cut one contiguous piece of exterior ply - doubled it, laminated them and covered the assembly w/ epoxy resin. Same w/ the cross braces

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a nearly 50yr old boat w wood rot in the side panels but below the gunwales didnt have any defects or wood rot below decks?

How are all the removeable deck panels? All glass or plywood backed?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
almost got one of these they seem to hold up well, not sure but the guy who was selling to0ld me they were all glass in the stringers and transom, again not too sure about that but its what he professed at the time.

Rustedbrit

Seaman
She's got solid bones - hull has 4 stringers that run bow to stern that are wood core - drilled a series of small test holes and got dry material - other than that she's solid fiberglass including the hatches.

I'm chalking up the rotten ply and substructure to weather & time - lots of screw holes on the topside trim allowing water to seep in. Also it was not covered until i purchased it.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Man 50 years old with not rot. That is a tank. The 20 year olds are rotten to the core. They actually did build them better back in the day. Great looking ride man.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow, nice boat. Sweet that it's solid. Permission to co...........eh, who am I kidding!! I'm stowing away!! :peep:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice boat! Are you rebuilding the engine and putting it back in? (sorry if you already stated your intentions)

Rustedbrit

Seaman
The old crysler is 75% oxide at this point - the 1:1 velvet drive was salvageable and rebuild-able. I picked up a Volvo penta 5.7gsi to stuff below the deck. Problem is it rotates the other direction - so new prop is on the list...

kid for scale

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I dont know for a fact but i dont think you can run a velvet drive backwards you must have one that matches the direction of the engine.