2009 Ssv 170

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently got my SSV 170.

I understand it's Glastron's budget boat, heck it's even lower, they consider the MX175 their entry level boat, and the SSV 170 doesn't even appear on their 2009 catalog.

I've pulled skiers, bananas and had a lot of fun so far.

Hull is stable and turns really well. I have it fitted with a Yammy F75 OB. Top speed at WOT is 37MPH @ 5,300RPM (with analog speedometer). Gas consumption is 4 GPH @ 4,000RPM comfortable cruising speed with 4 adults and 4 kids.

Any more boaters willing to share experiences about this boat?

Am I the only one in here @ Iboats to have bit the bullet?

Do you consider this boat under par?

I live in El Salvador, and new boat prices here are just outrageous.

Cheers!

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 2009 Ssv 170

Hay , I dont have one of these I got a 76 tron sportster tri-hull love mine!!! Just got done painting mine , did the transom and stringers last year !!

Yep i dont really know about the new ones but if yours is anything like mine was it was really poorly put together , when they sold mine they figured it would last 10 years !! and you would be buying a new one !!

your mpg sounds about right , I got a 100 hp 1000 merc on the back of mine , running full out she burns 10 gal an hour , dont know the rpm yet just getting to hooking it up sence I had it !! so we will see , hopeing to be able to add some more pitch to my prop !!!

Ok can you post any pics of yours ?? John

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for pitching in John.

Glastrons are well respected boats in this part of the world; at the marina I have mine, there are like 100 boats total, from those, 56 are Glastrons, ranging from early 70's model trihulls to a couple of newer GT185s, and now mine.

Qualitywise, it runs solid! stable quiet dry ride. Glastron claims it's the manufacturing process which makes this boat as equally great as the rest of the lineup. You can watch the video here: http://www.glastron.com/us/video_SSVbowriders.html

I can't complain, the boat fulfilled my expectations; what I was curious about was, why haven't I seen more of this boat owners around?

Here are a couple of pics:)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 101_2317.JPG
    101_2317.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_2337.JPG
    101_2337.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_2387.JPG
    101_2387.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_2388.JPG
    101_2388.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 0

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH yea Nico , the newer ones are really nice rides , the ones in the 70, and the late 60 werent put together to wrll thoe , Mine sude wasnt,but it still made it 34 years before it was rebuilt !!

love you ride she looks sweet !! in your pics is that a lake your on ?? how you doing on the fishing down there ?? John

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks John.

Yup, it's a freshwater lake. Haven't gone fishing yet though.
All the boating & fishing I did for the past 10 years was in saltwater, so I still have to figure out what kind of bait the freshwater fish will chew:rolleyes:
We've been too busy with the watertoys lately so I haven't been able to go fishing:D (I also have to look up the names of the fish in english so I can post them;))

I'm sure yours is going to end up great:)

jcsercsa

Captain

Thanks John.

Yup, it's a freshwater lake. Haven't gone fishing yet though.
All the boating & fishing I did for the past 10 years was in saltwater, so I still have to figure out what kind of bait the freshwater fish will chew:rolleyes:
We've been too busy with the watertoys lately so I haven't been able to go fishing:D (I also have to look up the names of the fish in english so I can post them;))

I'm sure yours is going to end up great:)

It really does look like a good size lake , salt water fishing how far out were you going ?? whats the biggest salt water fish you gotten ?? whats the price of gas down there ?/ were getting it about 2.34 right now !! John

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah John, it's the biggest lake in our country:)

Well, when fishing inshore, the biggest fish I got was an 8 lb snook. I only went offshore 2 times (about 20 miles), and my best catch was a 25 lb bluefin tuna.

Gas prices, oh man you're going to flip, per gallon, regular unleaded $3.15, premium unleaded $3.35:eek::eek:

Is the price you mention per gallon or litre?

jcsercsa

Captain

Yeah John, it's the biggest lake in our country:)

Well, when fishing inshore, the biggest fish I got was an 8 lb snook. I only went offshore 2 times (about 20 miles), and my best catch was a 25 lb bluefin tuna.

Gas prices, oh man you're going to flip, per gallon, regular unleaded $3.15, premium unleaded $3.35:eek::eek:

Is the price you mention per gallon or litre?

thats per gal,went up to 2.64 today !! I caught a Salmon that went 21 lbs on shore in saginaw bay , thatsthe biggest one i have caught !! how far are you from the lake ?? I got 12 miles to where I run !!

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

The lake where I boat is only 15 miles from home, so just like you, I don't have to travel that much:D

I don't know if you checked it out, but my new boat developed a hairline crack:(

I've already started fixing it, and only have to sand, polish and wax to finish it.

It was supposed new Glastrons with VEC hulls were not likely to develop this cracks:rolleyes: Yacht Dr and Oops suggested it was an OEM flaw when taking the cap off the mold, or gelcoat too thick.

Too bad I had to grind on a new boat's cap!

jcsercsa

Captain

The lake where I boat is only 15 miles from home, so just like you, I don't have to travel that much:D

I don't know if you checked it out, but my new boat developed a hairline crack:(

I've already started fixing it, and only have to sand, polish and wax to finish it.

It was supposed new Glastrons with VEC hulls were not likely to develop this cracks:rolleyes: Yacht Dr and Oops suggested it was an OEM flaw when taking the cap off the mold, or gelcoat too thick.

Too bad I had to grind on a new boat's cap!

Ohhh man that stinks !! glad thats all it was and your close to finish !!!

Cool on not that far to go I love it , I can leave work and be on the water in 20 mins!!

I been busy here , getting ready for the kids open house sat !!!!! John

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, nothing better than having water close to home:D

Have fun at the open house!

Thanks for all your comments John, and I really want to see your water pics and vids with your new Glastron:)

Cheers!

jcsercsa

Captain

SSSHHH dont tell the guys , but I forgot the camera sun !!! I will get some pics and video next week , not going to be able to get out before that !!!
John

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL:D:D

Well, since the traffic in this part of the forum is really low, I don't think anybody will know; anyway, your secret is safe with me;)

It happens, you know, going boating is so exciting, even more after all that hard work that went into yours, for you to forget the camera. But always remember, third time's a charm, so don't forget it this coming weekend:)

Have a nice day mate!

bgewin

Recruit

I bought a 2009 SSV 170 this spring with an E-tec 90 and have been really enjoying it all year. Goes 37 with the 15" pitch prop it came with at about 5700 RPMs (which is pushing the red line just a bit) and it does a nice job with skiers.

As an experiment we bought a 13" pitch PowerTech prop. Lowered top end down to about 28 mph (before hitting the 5500 RPM max) but yoinked us right up out of the water on a slalom. We decided we liked the slower get-up better; didn't hurt our backs! So we use the 15" pitch prop and enjoy the faster cruising speeds when we're just riding around.

This boat handles nicely. It cavitates some on sharp turns but it's really a good thing; keeps you out of trouble and it only happens on very sharp turns over 20 mph or so, say when you're circling sharply to pick up a downed skier.

I've used it about 40 times this year so far and we'll keep going skiing with wet suits through November. We use it on lakes Lanier and Allatoona mostly around Atlanta. I'm hoping to take it to coastal SC next year to explore parts of the intra-coastal waterway between Charleston and Edisto.

Lazydawg21

Recruit

Hey bgewin- How does your 170 ssv handle lanier? I'm researching the 170 and wonder how (or if) it will ride smoothly on days when the lake is rough. I also boat around Atl and know that on most w/e's the lakes are crazy. One more question...can an adult ride comfortably in the bow?

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on your boat Bgewin!
I'm still enjoying my boat, not as usual as I would like to though.

What's the gas consumption of that E tec 90?

Lazydawg, the comfort of bowriding depends on how tall are you. I'm short (5'7") and I fit comfortably.

Cheers!