95 GTS--Just quit running.

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was out running just fine, no problems at all. Suddenly just died, cranks won't start.
Plenty of oil/gas all ok
Anyone ideas?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 95 GTS--Just quit running.

probably a bad ground to the coil or a bad cap on the lanyard switch allowing it to ground out try holding the lanyard button down with your finger and see if it runs if so get a new cap the fingers wear out and allow the stupid thing to short out just like you pulled it off

tower1

Cadet

If it cranks its not the lanyard.

Is it getting spark?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

he has the old style lanyard that grounds the ignition it could be the lanyard as I mentioned

tower1

Cadet

I know I have two in the shop right now. If the switch is not connecting it will not turn over all it will do is beep if you hit the start button 3-4 times.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

these are the old switches not dess switches

tower1

Cadet

Again I know I had two in the shop, got one out today (bad coil).

The safety switch on that ski is a simple contact one. If it not making contact it will not turn over, all that will happen if you press the start button is it will send power to the mpem, the gages will work and the trim if it has one (for 30-35secs), if you press the start button 2-3 times it will beep (to let you know the lanyard is not on).

He says it cranks so it is not the switch.

There are I few things it could be I would first check for spark.

If you really would like to check the switch jump the two wires leading to the switch, simple.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

the lanyard switch grounds out the coil jumping the leads grounds the coil also, coil grounded no spark as for my advice of the lanyard cap being loose and periodically grounding the ignition when you run it in the water, I stand by what I said it is a common issue and one that I have had to fix many times on those type skies. also the coil ground wire and the main ground to the engine so they can either do what I suggested or not no biggie for me.