2003 Chris Craft Launch 25 - VolvoPenta engine replacement - need engine advice

Maink

Cadet
Hi everyone,
Our 2003 Chris Craft Launch 25 is unfortunalty in need of a new engine. She came with the 5.7l GXI. My mechanics have recommended replacing with the new 6.2l 380. I have asked them to also run a quote for the 5.3L 350.

We are original owners of the boat and plan to keep her going and want to make sure to choose the proper engine size and power that the boat was originally intended for.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do don’t get talked into cat converter exhaust it will inevitably greatly increase repair costs. And definitely not required on a 2003 repower

Maink

Cadet
I would be inclined to put a 5.7 back in but we had so many random issues with the original that I wanted to explore a fresh engine.

Maink

Cadet
Meant to mention, we did get some insurance money back on the old engine which helps a little with the decision.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is no horsepower limit in I/O motors. so you could put 500hp motor in there.

however a new 5.7 longblock dropped in with new manifolds, etc. should be in the $8-10k range

your looking at over $20k for the new 5.3 or 6.2 LT based motors.

If it was my boat, I would strip out the fuel injection, build a 6.2 liter stroker for under $4k, throw a heat exchanger kit on it and have it back on the water for under $6k

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I would be inclined to put a 5.7 back in but we had so many random issues with the original that I wanted to explore a fresh engine.
Were you happy with the power level it had when it was working? I assume you are looking for a complete bobtail to mate up to your existing drive ? Or are you looking for pulleys to prop complete repower?

Looking for carbed or injected?

Seems like you budget is bigger than typically seen here, which is good/provides better options if you like the boat and want to reinvest.

When I repowered I bought a partial engine from Michigan Motorz. Might be worth a call

Here is a marine power bobtail set up for VP

New VP 320 hp

Maink

Cadet
Thanks Scott, all great points. Yes, we were happy with the power, max speed has never been top priority for us, but the torque always seemed to be a bit laggy throughout acceleration, but that could just be me. With the insurance money, around $20k, I am looking to do a complete Repower, stern drive and all.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you were going new pulley to prop. That's a chunk of change. I would look at the 430hp

Maink

Cadet
Agreed, could get pricey, waiting to see what my quotes come back with and then go from there.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I don't know that I would plan to spend 20K on a new engine and drive on a 2003 boat regardless of its condition. it will not add that to the value of the boat. I would put a re-man engine 5.7 back in it and pocket the balance. Your torque problems could be solved by changing the prop(s).

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks Scott, all great points. Yes, we were happy with the power, max speed has never been top priority for us, but the torque always seemed to be a bit laggy throughout acceleration, but that could just be me. With the insurance money, around $20k, I am looking to do a complete Repower, stern drive and all.
I'd be interested to see where the quotes come in. I think $20k soup to nuts would be light if you want to upgrade engine as part of a complete repower, incl transom and drive. If rest of boat is in excellent condition may make sense, but off the cuff I think you would be nipping $30k.

For example this merc 383 is $20k just for engine ..

I think single engine in a boat that size you will want VP Duo prop or Merc Bravo 3. Those are $9-12 k , Plus another 3-4 k for transom assy....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would evaluate just what needs replacing.
what happened to the engine?
do you need a complete new engine?
depending on the damage (overheat? water intrusion? etc) you can often re-hab one of these simple Chevrolet small blocks with a set of remanufactured cyl heads and new exhaust. That's what I did with my ancient 1988 4.3. Had a bad overheat in 2013, then blew the head gaskets with water in a cyl in 2016, thought it was done for but pickled the engine right away (salt water) and installed a set of reman heads, new exhaust etc, and running fine 7 years later. Total cost for the heads and exhaust conversion was about $2,000 plus my labor.
Outdrive? What is wrong with it? Volvo transom mounts are pretty durable, as are their drives. I'm running a 36 year old OMC Cobra! In salt water too!
It had some work to it before I bought it 22 years ago but nothing but seals, since. I have to rebuild one of the trim cylinders after all that time. I have spares so I'll do both.
I would do more evaluation before dropping that much coin on a 21 year old boat, even a Chris Craft Launch nice as it is.

Maink

Cadet
I have been sitting on this quote while I have been researching a new engine option.

Remove bad engine from boat, remove parts to reuse on new engine block
Engine failure was caused by the failure of a factory installed pressed on
fitting giving way. The engine quickly
lost oil pressure causing damage to the cylinder walls.
This was not normal wear and tear or lack of
maintenance. Install new Volvo Long Block with old components”

Total parts and Labor = $19,957.00

After all of the great input from everyone here, I think I should save the $ and do a rebuild with existing parts and do a new block. Thoughts?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have been sitting on this quote while I have been researching a new engine option.

Remove bad engine from boat, remove parts to reuse on new engine block
Engine failure was caused by the failure of a factory installed pressed on
fitting giving way. The engine quickly
lost oil pressure causing damage to the cylinder walls.
This was not normal wear and tear or lack of
maintenance. Install new Volvo Long Block with old components”

Total parts and Labor = $19,957.00

After all of the great input from everyone here, I think I should save the $ and do a rebuild with existing parts and do a new block. Thoughts?
I assume remote oil filter line or oil cooler line blew? Obviously using a Volvo engine will cost more but probably comes with better warranty.

Will they install a new GM base engine ? it is litterally the same long block/base engine Merc and VP build into their engines for about $2k less..

That is what I got from MM in 2015 for my repower. I was doing the work myself and they were one of the few folks who would honor the warranty if not professionally installed. Never needed it.

I got the boat when the PO cracked the block and he tapped out when he got a $11k + quote to install a Mercury reman 225 hp 4.3 (bobtail) .

For the $20k you can do what you have quoted- not add horsepower and new drive.... if the only real issue you are trying to solve is midrange acceleration - would look into a different prop, maybe go down in pitch and go 4 blade. - what was your WOT rpm. I suspect based on what you describe you were on the low side of the RPM range. Usually if propped to top end you will get snappier throttle response.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
New motor plus drive (long tail) is much much more than $20k. Just the motor in a crate is that.
I think I should save the $ and do a rebuild with existing parts and do a new block. Thoughts?
Talk to the marina. The $20k is most likely for them to just pull the engine, get a remanufactured long block thru their supplier, add new manifolds and install with your old parts (oil pan, accessories, etc). Half the bill is motor, the other half is labor. Labor to pull the motor and drive. Labor to swap parts, labor to reinstall

Do you have a breakdown of their quote?

Maink

Cadet
Here’s the breakdown of my quote.

Labor: $5,375
Parts: $13,200
Elec. Pymt fee: $557
Sub total: $19,132
taxes: $825
Total: $19,957