2001 Mako 192 Top Transom Crack

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So... how's everyone doing tonight?

Well, I'm looking for some advice. There's a crack running horizontal across my transom. I've replaced wood transoms multiple times, but never one of the composite type.

From looking at the pics you can see an attempt was made to either repair or cover up the crack (previous owner). What I'm lost with is what all is entailed with working on this type of transom material? Is it a gut and replace or perhaps something else entirely?

Any info is appreciated. Lemme know if you have more questions.

Edit: Pics will be tomorrow... phone took images waaaay too large for this site. I may try to create an imgur album and post the link...

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
So... how's everyone doing tonight?

Well, I'm looking for some advice. There's a crack running horizontal across my transom. I've replaced wood transoms multiple times, but never one of the composite type.

From looking at the pics you can see an attempt was made to either repair or cover up the crack (previous owner). What I'm lost with is what all is entailed with working on this type of transom material? Is it a gut and replace or perhaps something else entirely?

Any info is appreciated. Lemme know if you have more questions.

Edit: Pics will be tomorrow... phone took images waaaay too large for this site. I may try to create an imgur album and post the link...

Care to clarify your question?! I am not sure what exactly are you asking. Do you intend to use composite material on this boat and asking what it takes to work with composites specifically?! Or do you think this transom made out of composite material or ....?

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm asking what it is to work with composites specifically. I know the boat is wood free, so the transom repair is one I haven't done before. I've done more research, but I always appreciate the input you guys give.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Crazy delayed bump, so please don’t shoot... The crack in the transom is still an issue. Shortly after this post in ‘17, I took it to a fiberglass repair shop here in town and their stance was its purely cosmetic after his inspection. Ultimately, he recommended me to get a piece of metal fashioned to cover the top of the transom and let it ride. I was never comfortable with just covering it up, but I haven’t exactly had the time to remove the motor and get to work on repairing it either.
Expanding on my original question, I see now it wasn’t exactly worded great. What I really wanted to ask is when dealing with composite material in the transom, is it required to do a full transom repair as I have done with wooden transoms before? Is it possible to just grind down and open this crack enough to build it back with glass?
Any assistance is appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
What I really wanted to ask is when dealing with composite material in the transom, is it required to do a full transom repair as I have done with wooden transoms before? Is it possible to just grind down and open this crack enough to build it back with glass?

Ayuh,..... Step 1 is to pull the motor, 'n identify what the composite is,....