1st boat project. All info is welcome.

HM2107

Seaman
Re: 1st boat project. All info is welcome.

ok thanks for that. just curious how can you tell its polyester, it there a colour. i would just like to know for future references

HM2107

Seaman

hey every one just wondering if someone can tell me what the name of the box is? the wires come from the engine then into the box and then out of the box to the controls and the Ignition. i will post a picture. I need the name of it (technical name) so i can find a new one, Or even a universal one that i can use, Also does anyone know where to find them?
thanks

IMG_0685.jpgIt is the box under the forward controls. It was wrapped in tape so it would stay together.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

hey every one just wondering if someone can tell me what the name of the box is? the wires come from the engine then into the box and then out of the box to the controls and the Ignition. i will post a picture. I need the name of it (technical name) so i can find a new one, Or even a universal one that i can use, Also does anyone know where to find them?
thanks

View attachment 113007It is the box under the forward controls. It was wrapped in tape so it would stay together.

It's called a Junction Box Original Part# is 378255

Go Here to see all other parts etc.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2516/ITEM_251600001.htm

grimsey

Recruit

To get the shine back on the deck and hull go get some 1000 and 1200 grit wet and dry and rub it back, you may even need 6 or 800 grit to start with, depending how bad it is, gelcoat is fairly tough just becareful not to take to much off. Then once it looks clean cut and polish it. It would come up like new i think.... Good work so far its coming along nicely

Edit youtube gelcoat restoration some good tips on there :)

HM2107

Seaman

Hey everyone thanks heaps for the info. Tonight i was bored so i decided to make a picture on paint. It is my paint colour scheme and also my idea of a wooden bench seat. That would be Painted in shiny varnish . Or varnished then a layer of poly resin, haven't decided yet, but i am way off the seat making. Anyway here is my picture. Tell me what you think

Boat bench seat design and paint scheme.jpg

HM2107

Seaman

what about now i re uploaded the picture

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe it's just my old failing eyesight, but, it looks like someone just glassed some more plywood over the old transom.

HM2107

Seaman

hey thanks for your input. I checked it by drilling into it and that is not the case. It sort of looks like it in the picture is guess, because of the change in colour from the dark to light but that light colour is a paint, like the stuff on the floor.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

I have to say, I'm brand new to this boat restoration business myself. Just done a whole lot of reading on the subject. Plus being in automotive repair I'm no stranger to creative debaucherization if you get my meaning. Anyway those plates on the transom are popping all kinds of red flags for me. As well as the evidence of repairs made to the top of the transom at the ends. If it was replaced properly there would be no need what-so-ever for the metal plates. I think if it were me I'd pull one of those lower bolts out of the plate and see just exactly how long it is. And so see how thick that lower half really is. I mean if you drill into the lower half from the inside, yeah I bet it'd look great! Also if you drilled into the top half from inside the splash well, yeah that might look great too! But down low next to the outer skin..............

Maybe you've done all this already and really found everything is fine and dandy. But those plates!!! Why the plates???? Good luck with it in any case.

Cheers...................Todd

HM2107

Seaman

hey i appreciate all your advise. I can show you guys the top of the transom, on the outer skin, it shows when the guy cut out a portion of the cap and then put the new wood in, but don't worry i will investigate. I actually think the plates and bolts were used to glues all the wood and transom skin together.

Anyway today i went out and bought a circular saw and did some cutting, have decided to cut out 3 feet of the deck from the edge of the transom and replace that part of the deck, because most of it was rotting or getting there. I also found out i need to buy some disposable overalls, yep i learnt how itchy fibreglass is. I need some advise, with the circular saw i can't cut right to the edges. how do i cut right to the edges of the boat

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A grinder with a cutting disc, or my personal favorite, a multitool.

HM2107

Seaman

a multitool like a dremel? i don't know what you mean by multi tool.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a look at the tools previously mentioned. The 4.5 inch grinder will absolutely come in to use latter in your project.
You will want to use much care and caution with this tool. Failure to use caution will normally be rewarded by quick and severe punishment in the way of injury. This is the way of it for the young and old alike.

Multi-Tool Grinder with a cutting disc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ormPpijsjmY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXqJa-tJTgo

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

just came on this thread while looking for something...
so how is it going..any more progress with the Pongrass?
your colour scheme is almost exactly the same as what my son wanted for his Volero Dart,
before you change the colour l'd polish up what you have first, just to see how it comes up,

um, it may seem to you that people are focusing on the metal transom plate a bit, but it really should not have one...
l don't want to spoil your fun but Pongrass boats were known for having soft transoms and floors/stringers...that may be why someone has put it there,
if you've got a good one then goodonyamate,

Webster's mags have a couple of small paragraphs about them and 40-60hp seems to what the runabouts had on them, a bigger half cabin had up to a 85,
have you found a makers plate on it anywhere?

as for the front seats, wait for Whitworths to have a sale and consider these when they are $50..you will need a short base as well though
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=137&item=75762&intAbsolutePage=1

we have bought 6 ( for 2 boats ) and for that price you ain't gonna find much better,
cheers

HM2107

Seaman

i everyone i am back and continuing with the build, i will make more videos and photos within the next week. cya then

HM2107

Seaman

ok so yesterday i got the engine hooked up to my dads car to jump start it, after a while it fired. but didn't run , so i took the carburator and the fuel injecter things and cleaned then all,(they had heaps of crud and solid crap in the lines). And i also replaced the cracked fuel lines then tested it today and started it up and wow it really goes well, i also found out something very important.
The electric shift works like this posted by someone else, but i noticed that even though i had no voltage on the blue nor green wire engine was still in forward and the prob was spinning so that is important to know. So soon i will try puting voltage to the wire like said below and test it out.
Cheers
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dew2

I'm not real familiar with the elec,I dont see why it wouldn't work,I do have a question,are you sure of the wiring one wire with current for F gear the other for R?????Seems to me I read no wires charged is F.Not sure tho just making sure you have the right wires for the correct gears. Have you done a search here for the wireing??? If not you should HOPE I am proven wrong but it will make sure for you.
Heres a sentence I found doing a search,

yuo need 12 volts on the green wire when in neutral and 12 volts on both the green and blue wires when in reverse. No voltage on either wire when in forward.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you run into problems with the electrice shift, PM me, I have one and did a lot of research on how they work.

HM2107

Seaman

It has been too long. I am still going with this boat but man it has been slow. Mainly cause of school work.
I live 2 hours from home because i go to uni now. So i can only work on it every now and then on the weekends.
But it is almost finished.