1st boat project. All info is welcome.

HM2107

Seaman
Re: 1st boat project. All info is welcome.

ok yeah will do, i am just trying to keep this rebuild info in 1 thread. But the shift is and electric shift, so 2 wires come from the lower unit and one is green and one blue. It works like this. to go forward put 12+ into green and to go reverse apply 12+ to blue. It might be the other way around but you know what i mean and to be in neutral just don't apply any power to both wires.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Please put a post up about your shift switch situation in the Johnson/Evinrude section because I'm almost positive someone made a diagram and maybe some instructions on how to do it. If you mess up you can easily damage things so you'll want to get it right the first time.

Yeah that's the bummer about the old electric shifters.....the switch controls and the solenoids in the lower unit are basically no longer available or ridiculously expensive.

HM2107

Seaman

hi just wondering. there is no plates on this boat, and i am trying to figure out what the MAX HP rating would? And ideas, the boat is a 15 ft / 4.4 meter Pongrass runabout. It currently has a 40hp, but if i could i would like to get a bit bigger. Also from what i can see my 1966 40hp is big and heavy and like could i go off weight? so like it a 60hp yamaha weighed the same as my 1966 40hp can i put tha yamaha on?
HM

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My boat is almost exactly the same as yours and is rated for 70hp. I'm sure the Yamaha would be fine. I have a Selectric Shift motor too and you can use the toggle switch but you MUST wire it correctly. Green is forward, Blue is Reverse.

This was Posted by an iBoat member a while back. He stated he was NOT responsible for any burned out coils or electronics in your motor if you made mistakes. And Neither am I!!!!

Re: shift switch to 3 way switch HOW???
(Toggle Shift Switch Setup For The Hydro Electric Shift Unit)
(J. Reeves)

Due to the unavailability of the "Push Button" (Evinrude) or "Toggle Type" (Johnson) shift switch that is required for the "Hydro Electric Shift" type lower units that existed between 1968 and 1972, many boaters have asked how they could rig up a toggle switch to perform this shifting function. There may be much better solutions but the following is what I have come up with.

One must keep in mind that wiring a toggle switch in such a manner allows one to accidently shift from forward to reverse at full throttle. This could and probably has resulted in injuries to boaters, not to mention the mechanical damage. Should this or any other problems arise/occur, I am in no way to be held responsible for the toggle switch to shift switch replacement mentioned here.

For the above reason, I strongly suggest that the toggle switch have a hinged hard case cover installed over it so that the toggle can never be thrown/toggled accidentally.

Now, with a single pole double throw toggle switch installed so the the "Green" wire connection is facing up or away from you, make the following connections to the terminals on the back of the toggle switch.

......O <--- Green Wire

......O <--- 12 volt Supply

......O <--- Blue Wire

Now, between the Green wire and Blue wire terminal on the toggle switch, connect a diode capable of handling 12 volts (available at Radio Shack etc). Be sure to install the diode so that the voltage will travel from the Blue wire connection to the Green wire connection only...... and not vice versa!

Now, if you have installed the switch as above, with the toggle pulled all the way back (towards yourself), contact will be made between the 12v supply and the Green connection. This puts the unit in Neutral. The diode prevents any voltage from gaining access to the Blue connection.

Pushing the toggle lever to the middle position results in no voltage being supplied to either wire. This results in the spring loaded clutch shifter dog in the lower unit throwing the unit into forward gear.

Pushing the toggle switch lever all the way to the front position will have the center 12 volt supply connected to the Blue wire connection, and due to the diode, that 12 volt supply will also be supplied to the Green wire. This results in having the unit in reverse gear.​

HM2107

Seaman

thanks for this info but i was told that there are a couple types of electric shift. And that i don't have the type you describe this quote below is from another one of my thread where i ask about the topic.

This is what one member said
I'm not real familiar with the elec,I dont see why it wouldn't work,I do have a question,are you sure of the wiring one wire with current for F gear the other for R?????Seems to me I read no wires charged is F.Not sure tho just making sure you have the right wires for the correct gears. Have you done a search here for the wireing??? If not you should HOPE I am proven wrong but it will make sure for you.
Heres a sentence I found doing a search,

yuo need 12 volts on the green wire when in neutral and 12 volts on both the green and blue wires when in reverse. No voltage on either wire when in forward.

And this is what another member replied to what the quote above says

That would be for hydro-electric shift. Electramatic is 12 volts to green is forward, 12 volts to blue is reverse, and no voltage is neutral.

HM2107

Seaman

ok today i cut a small square out of the floor to check out the stringers and floor.
So far the stringers look good and feel really solid. Thank god, i did not want to replace the stringers.
There is a soft spot in the floor so i will cut out the soft spot till i find good wood. Then i will place a near piece of ply wood then fiber glass the whole thing.
Will post more when i start cutting and patching

HM2107

Seaman

This is my youtube channel that i will be uploading videos to and this is my most recent video. I will be cutting out the soft spots this long week end. Thanks
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/UltimateGarageMods
Latest Video -

Last edited:

HM2107

Seaman

ok today i cut a square out of the floor, and i am pleased to say that the stringers and all the other wood is good, so now i am just going to replace some soft spots and then refiber glass the interior. I also did a bit of cosmetic fiber glassing and filled over some chips on the corner and keel. they will all need sanding and another couple of layers but i am happy with the boat so far.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How did you check the stringers and transom to confirm they were good??

HM2107

Seaman

well they had a good colour to them and also sounded solid when i tapped on them and also are very solid but if there is a better way to find out please tell me i am new to all this boat stuff and they felt really solid so yeah.

rickryder

Commander

Drill 3/8" holes on the stringers and transom to check wood shavings....dark,damp = no good clean white,dry = good :) You just want to drill about 3/4 of the way into transom....DO NOT drill through outer skin ;) You can fill the holes with 3M5200 marine sealer (avail. at Home Depot)

HM2107

Seaman

ok i haven't done the drill test but i did cut out the soft spot and found dry wood. all good so far and the hull looks good. from now i can only work on the boat when i have money, which will be 2 weeks or so but yeah. its the old story. when you have time you got no money, an when you got money you got no time

HM2107

Seaman

hey im back and i bought a trailer. its a tilt trailer and it in good nick. picked it up for $500 with only a little bit of surface rust. Now my question is. what is the best stuff to use for repairing chips and the spot i cut out of the floor?? i have been looking and i see a few, like polyester resin or something like. Can some one tell me the best stuff to use??
thanks

HM2107

Seaman

ok so today i did what rickryder
user-offline.png
said . i didn't want to incase i found something bad but i did it just to be sure. I drilled a hole in the transom and thank god nice clean wood. I didn't think it would be rotten because a new transom was put in about 2 years ago. I drilled a hole in the stringer and i was very surprised. there is no wood in them at all :confused:, no rotten wood none. i go a long piece of wire and stick it in the hole and threaded it throught the whole stringer and still i found no wood. Weird. Does anyone know of hollow stringes? the thing that is making me think its normal was that the stringer fiberglass was about and inch + thick.
Just incase someone know of this type of stringer can you tell me? The boat is a 4.4 meter (14" 5') pongrass runabout. But i was happy with my discoverey. I will post a video and share the link tonight
thanks

P.s i need to buy resin and i don't know what the best is. can someone help me out here. What is good for the patch in the floor and just all round resin?? what are the options as i know nothing about fiber glassing boats

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Im fairly certain stringers were either wood cored or foam cored... Perhaps there was one or the other and has now disintergrated... Never seen or heard of a hollow stringer... But your boat is quite old so I may be wrong... But ive never come across it... As far as resin, go with a polyester layup resin, or as oops has said "the cheap stuff" from uscomposites... Good luck! U can get everything you need from us composites right down to brushs and mixing cups...

HM2107

Seaman

hey i live in australia so us composites is out of the question but can you tell what i will need to buy . like a list of some sort. Thanks for all your help. Oh yeah and here is a video series of the boat build and then click part 2 and the end of the video.

Thanks

HM2107

Seaman

ok i have been researching and epoxy seems to come out on top. it is more pricey but apparently is stronger because it forms bonds. and it also sticks to anything. whats the best option . i mean if the boat will last longer i will pay more money but what do you guys think