1996 Bayliner 2050 LS 5.7L 40th Anniversary Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, most of you have been helping me through my purchasing process of buying a used boat and will be more familiar with what I have.
Just yesterday I became an owner of a 96 Bayliner Capri 2050 LS 40th Anniversary Edition Bowrider. Thats a mouth full lol. After pulling her home and having a blow out on the way.
I got out today and got her cleaned up. All of the interior pieces cleaned up nicely and with some polish the hull will shine too.

I was wanting to catch everyone up on the engine. Before I bought the boat the guy has said that his brother had got it and was going to change the oil in it. When he drained it, he said a little water came out and then oil. He had asked a boat mechanic and said that it is not uncommon for very little water to be in the oil if it has been sitting for some time. Regardless, his brother didnt put any oil back in the motor and as far as I know has not been in the water any this year. I opened the plugs on the manifold and antifreeze poured out. So I assume thats a good thing! I gave the block and heads a good look over and saw no cracks or any signs of oil leaks, and truthfully the block looks brand new. The gun metal paint coating hasnt even been worn off yet. I can tell someone has been inside the outdrive and the motor as there is blue rtv sealant around all mating surfaces, and the motor has all new gaskets as well. All of the linkages look to be in working order and I dont have an extra battery to try out the trim and other stuff yet but will in the future. As of now, I have the boat scheduled to go to the mechanic tuesday morning to get a good look over and tune up.

Now, on to the interior. I have found some small soft spots on the port side in front of the chair and around the ski locker. I will plan on replacing the floor from front of the engine to the bow. The area around the motor all looks to be fiberglass and is solid. I have worked with fiberglass before so I know well what Ill be up against, I'm just not a master carpenter.

So enough words, lets see some pics...

DSC01751.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

DSC01758.jpg

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Bayliner 2050 LS 5.7L 40th Anniversary Restore

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01756.jpg

DSC01755.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

Thats all for now. More to come later after I get the motor checked out, then it will be time for ripping carpet up and getting rid of the tumors.

Probably not going to keep the back to back chairs, they will be replaced with captain chairs. I tried sitting in them and I am just too long legged.
Stay tuned!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have to say, I'm not a big fan of bayliners but thats a nice one.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not to sound like a jerk, but I hope you paid next to nothing for that boat. If there was water in the oil, that is not good, even a little. The blue RTV all over everything is another big concern, someone who does not work on boats clearly did the work on it as they have RTV on all kinds of things that should not have this sealer on them, ie the drive. Rot typically happens from the stringers up so if you have soft spots in the floor, be prepared to replace all the stringers and all the sub structure of the boat. You will probably soon discover this but you should never buy a boat without a sea trial and bring the motor up to temp and then check everything. So many very expensive gremlins can creep in when you buy something like this. Sorry to sound negative but that boat needs a lot of work, probably more work and money than it will ever be worth.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats ok i bought my boat without a sea trial as well. there was water in the oil and found out later it was a cracked block. my floor is also soft but none of that bothere me because i enjoy having something to tinker on(my wife thinks otherwise)

what do you want for those seats? i dont have any.

well good luck and enjoy making it your own

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All comments are welcomed negative or positive. I probably could have waited and bought a better one, but doesnt all the better ones come after you buy something anyways? lol

I was very satisfied with the price I got it for, but to some it may sound like too much. I got it at the bottom end of my $2500 budget and after looking up some values of good boats like this one, I figured that I had enough room to still come out pretty good on the boat. I plan on keeping it for awhile so I will get my use out of it. Not that I only have $2500 to spend on the whole restore, thats just what I wanted to spend on a boat. I realize that I'm not an expert on boats or know what all to look for. I was unaware that the rot goes from the bottom up and I appreciate the info. I hope that its not going to be AS bad as I think it will, however I am prepared for the worst. For the money I gave for it and it not needing a complete interior re-do, I couldn't make myself not buy it. As of now I am under the assumption that the motor is still good, maybe not perfect but as far as a cracked block or bad seals or anything it is still in good shape. As I said the block looks new and has all new gaskets. If the block is cracked then it would be on the back side where I cant see it.

If the block did indeed have a crack in it, wouldnt there be antifreeze in the oil pan? If the only way for water to get in would be from the intake or the manifolds? And if there is antifreeze still in the motor, it would mean that it has not ran since atleast last November, and then the oil was drained this past April.

As for the seats, they wont be coming out until middle next week at the earliest, I spent a little time cleaning them today and once I can get them out they will get a GOOD cleaning. I will keep you in mind.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Water in the block could be condensation but that typically is not more than a teaspoon or less, if that. Hopefully the motor and drive are both good and you are just looking at some flooring and interior repairs. Looks like the gel coat could use a good compound rub, good luck with the boat overall though.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water in the block could be condensation but that typically is not more than a teaspoon or less, if that. Hopefully the motor and drive are both good and you are just looking at some flooring and interior repairs. Looks like the gel coat could use a good compound rub, good luck with the boat overall though.

From what the PO has said, thats how much water was in it. I bought some polish from walmart and tried it in a little spot and it did alright. Any suggestions on a good marine polish?

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went out today to look at the outdrive and found that it is missing the shift bellow and the trim sensor's wires are broke on the starboard side. Not a very expensive fix but while I am in there I'm going to replace the ujoint and exhaust bellows and the water pump. I also checked the trim pump and the oil looked good in there, no water intrusion. The mercathodes look worn and I will be replacing them just for safe measure. I did a knock test on the motor mounts and the bilge area, every thing sounds solid no hollow echoing sound at all.

Now the bad...
I checked the gear oil and when I took the bottom plug out, a glob of metal particles were stuck to it and the oil was burnt. I have found that people say its better to replace the whole unit than to rebuild. I found a whole new unit for $1600 from Sterndrive Engineering (no idea how reputable they are), and may be able to buy a good used one for cheaper.
It would definitely be easier to just take the old one off and put a new one on, but I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. Rebuild or Replace?

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about the double posts earlier my comp was acting up.
for the motor i would do a compression test just to make sure. my engine looked really nice on the outside and noticed rtv on a lot of gasketed areas. i thought ok someone got into this motor before and did a bad job putting it back together. Did a compresion test and noticed #2 cylinder was low. thought ok bad head gasket job. took it apart and found a crack in the cylinder wall. apearantly they found the crack and put it back together to sell it or missed the crack altogether. It did run though. but yes it probably would have coolant in the oil pan. mine had water.(sea water cooling system)

as far as rubbing compound the 3m products are awsome and will make the gelcoat look like new especially if used with a high speed buffer

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about the double posts earlier my comp was acting up.
for the motor i would do a compression test just to make sure. my engine looked really nice on the outside and noticed rtv on a lot of gasketed areas. i thought ok someone got into this motor before and did a bad job putting it back together. Did a compresion test and noticed #2 cylinder was low. thought ok bad head gasket job. took it apart and found a crack in the cylinder wall. apearantly they found the crack and put it back together to sell it or missed the crack altogether. It did run though. but yes it probably would have coolant in the oil pan. mine had water.(sea water cooling system)

as far as rubbing compound the 3m products are awsome and will make the gelcoat look like new especially if used with a high speed buffer

I will give 3M a try sometime this winter, still need to get a highspeed buffer.
Still no coolant in the oil pan yet, I havent put oil in it just for that reason so I could check if there might be a small crack or whatever. I am going to take the starter to oreillys and get them to check it, and then I have to find the bolts for the starter. I havnt tried turning the motor over yet and havnt took the arrestor off to check the carb. It will probably need to be rebuilt regardless.

Any thoughts on the stern drive?

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you tried posting about your sterndrive in the mercruiser section of this forum? you might get more help over there. I havent learned about those yet as im still putting my motor together.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you tried posting about your sterndrive in the mercruiser section of this forum? you might get more help over there. I havent learned about those yet as im still putting my motor together.

No I havnt yet, its a good thought tho. From what I have seen on youtube, theres not all that much to them. Looks more of getting everything just right and lined up properly. I am just hoping that the motor turns out to be ok. Going to get a battery today and try to figure out what size bolts go to the starter. Then I still need an engine manual with wiring schematics so I can figure out what goes where. After that I can try to get her to turn over so I can get some compression readings.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't go replacing the drive right away. Maybe there was some wear due to the fluid not being changed often enough but metal particles on the magnet isn't particularly unusual. I'd put new oil in it and run it till it breaks (or doesn't hopefully).

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the 3.0 but i think they may be the same starter the long bolt is 3/8 by 4 3/8 long and the short is 3/8 by 1 11/16 long

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info fng :)

ezmo, you may be right. there could be nothing wrong with it, just it may never did get any attention. Im fixing to head out and go get a battery and then start figuring out where everything goes. I really need to start on the floor too, starting to get dark earlier.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, just figured I would give a small update. I got all of the wiring traced out and roughed in and all is well on that end from what I can tell. I got some oil and filled the motor up, no oil leaks so far. That is no leaks after I found the drain plug in my shop vac after wondering why oil was coming out of the drain hole. :redface:
I found the correct bolts to mount the starter. I'll go ahead and say, I could not be a boat mechanic for a living, I thought working on my truck was bad, but this was a pain as I am not the smallest of individuals and just getting the starter held up and a bolt started with one hand was a trial in its own. lol
Anyways, I got one bolt in and tried to get the second one started. After many attempts it just would not start. So, as if I had thought it would go smoothly, I removed the starter to check out what was up. I was already dreading the inevitable and of course there is a broken bolt in there. Ha!:facepalm:
Weren't these motors equipped with some sort of brace for the starter? I have read that some were to keep from breaking the bolts.
So, today I was on the hunt for someone with an engine stand and a means of getting the motor out. I didnt want to go drop a couple bills on an engine stand just to use it once. Luckily, I have a cousin with one and he has a forklift at his shop. All I have to figure out is how to get the engine from his shop to my house and up on the engine stand. But that will all be going down this Saturday. Here in a few hours I am going to go out and take the outdrive off. If metal particles is not too awfully uncommon, it may be fine for now. I have looked at SEI replacements and I have a place locally that will trade refurb'd parts for broken ones.

The seats will also be coming out and once I get them cleaned up some more and give them a good look around, I will PM you fng if you still want them. Will be sometime today before I go to work.

Once the outdrive is out, I will attempt to disassemble it and try to clean as much of it out as I can. Chances are the damage is done, but atleast it wont cause any more damage than it did. Then it will be stored for the winter.
I will take pics as I go just for fun, everyone loves pics. :)

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well theres murphy sneakin up on you again. sorry to hear about that. check out harbor freight for a chain hoist you might be able you use a tree branch like a gantry to put the motor on the stand... but thats a pretty heavy motor. heck even an engine hoist from hf is pretty cheap.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Keep the pics comeing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.