1995 Johnson 25 hp model #J25REOR cooling/exhaust issue....

swingline79

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1995 Johnson 25 hp model #J25REOR. I recently rebuilt the water pump, when I re-installed the lower unit, and after some fighting everything lined up fine and went back into place. When I started it, I had water coming out of the exhaust port, and exhaust coming out of the **** tube. I set it in a garbage can filled with water for this, and I also noticed air bubbles coming from the side of the lower unit where it meets the mid section. I'm guessing the water tube isn't set correctly. I'm about to pull the lower unit off again and check everything out. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me the right way to troubleshoot, and properly re***emble everything step by step? I've ordered the repair manual, but it'll be another 2 weeks before it gets here, and I can't wait that long. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Likely =youmissed the tubes when reinstalling lower unit!!!! Everything should & will easily go back together -when all is lined up & correct! Look up into the exhaust housing when l u is off too! just to see if anything is bent??

swingline79

Cadet
Likely =youmissed the tubes when reinstalling lower unit!!!! Everything should & will easily go back together -when all is lined up & correct! Look up into the exhaust housing when l u is off too! just to see if anything is bent??

I pulled it out of the water, and there's a lot of oil/grease/sludge on the lower unit now. I didn't do something right. This was the first time I ever tried my hand at pulling a lower unit and attempt rebuilding a water pump. I'm about to pull it again, and triple check everything. I hope I didn't ruin this motor.

swingline79

Cadet
Got it back together the right way. It's peeing like a brand new motor now. The sludge was from a rich oil/gas mix. Only problem now is I marred the metal seal for lower unit to exhaust housing, and that's where the bubbles were coming from. Guess I'll try and file those marks down, and try using a sealant.

jasper60103

Commander
Got it back together the right way. It's peeing like a brand new motor now. The sludge was from a rich oil/gas mix. Only problem now is I marred the metal seal for lower unit to exhaust housing, and that's where the bubbles were coming from. Guess I'll try and file those marks down, and try using a sealant.

No need to seal. Those bubbles won't hurt anything. Good job.

-jasper

swingline79

Cadet
Here's a video of I took today. About 12 seconds in, I focused on a hole on the exhaust housing that was spitting water. I never noticed it before, is that normal?