1995 Evinrude 130 won't start, HELP!

ob

Admiral
Ohm test the trigger/timer base wires as per CDI chart specs. Just looked at it online and it tells you just which color wires to ohm between and gives specific values. You'll need to disconnect the harness plug to perform the checks.

Edit: Just read your below post as to the blown fuse scenario. Hopefully the power pack didn't get messed up.

Bigben_1

Seaman
Don't panic, start from scratch with the CDI tests.
It could be something simple like 2 problems and so far you have only corrected 1 of them.

I need a dose of your calm fed! Lol, this boat is going to kill me. I did crimp the yellow/red wire when I reinstalled the powerpack. It broke through the insulation and must've surged because it blew the 20amp fuse near the starter, which I replaced, causing the entire ignition and tilt/trim to go down. I electrical taped it up and now it's cranking like it should. Perhaps I fried something else. It was a bone head move...

ob

Admiral
I need a dose of your calm fed! Lol, this boat is going to kill me. I did crimp the yellow/red wire when I reinstalled the powerpack. It broke through the insulation and must've surged because it blew the 20amp fuse near the starter, which I replaced, causing the entire ignition and tilt/trim to go down. I electrical taped it up and now it's cranking like it should. Perhaps I fried something else. It was a bone head move...

Ooops...Hope the pack is still OK.

Bigben_1

Seaman
Ooops...Hope the pack is still OK.

That's the question I guess. I know the stator is good as I just replaced it. I'm really wanting to get the boat out this weekend as I'm having company. I'll order a pack overnight if I need to. You think that's the issue?

Edit: on second thought, it could be either the timer base or the pack. I guess buying a new pack is a toss of a coin... would a bad timer base cause no spark at all?

Last edited:

Bigben_1

Seaman
Ohm test the trigger/timer base wires as per CDI chart specs. Just looked at it online and it tells you just which color wires to ohm between and gives specific values. You'll need to disconnect the harness plug to perform the checks.

Edit: Just read your below post as to the blown fuse scenario. Hopefully the power pack didn't get messed up.

In the troubleshooting guide, there's 2 dva readings, connected and disconnected. What does this mean?

ob

Admiral
That's the question I guess. I know the stator is good as I just replaced it. I'm really wanting to get the boat out this weekend as I'm having company. I'll order a pack overnight if I need to. You think that's the issue?

Hard to say Bigben, process of elimination. I recently went through a similar scenario except my engine was just idling erratic and stalling out after warm on idle. Mine was a melting down stator winding that was dripping goo on the top of the power head and timer base. I replaced it along with a new timer base for the fix as I didn't want to have to take the flywheel back off in the near future if the 22 year old timer base decided to start acting up. Mine is also a 95' model but a 70 hp engine.

Bigben_1

Seaman
Well I just ordered a powerpack and a timerbase. I figure that I can return what I don't need. I'll perform the tests tomorrow to hopefully isolate the problem and return the un-needed part. This way, I can find the problem and have the part to fix it by Friday. This motor is going to have a brand new ignition system by the time it's all over! Doesn't boat stand for Break Out Another Thousand? Again, I really appreciate all of the help with this!

Fed

Commander
You know the drill Ben, start by disconnecting the black/yellow, test for spark then reconnect.
Then disconnect the yellows, test for spark & reconnect.
Then test the charge coil resistance (again).

After resistance tests you can use your DVA adapter for testing the output Voltages.
Disconnected will give a slightly higher Voltage because there is no load on them.

Bigben_1

Seaman
You know the drill Ben, start by disconnecting the black/yellow, test for spark then reconnect.
Then disconnect the yellows, test for spark & reconnect.
Then test the charge coil resistance (again).

After resistance tests you can use your DVA adapter for testing the output Voltages.
Disconnected will give a slightly higher Voltage because there is no load on them.

Some of the timer base wires are part of a multi pin connector, so I'm not sure how I'm dupposed to test with them connected?

Bigben_1

Seaman
When the time comes test it with the plug disconnected.

So, I came home and got to work. When it came time to test the stator brown and brown/yellow wires, I pulled apart the connector and looked inside. That's when I saw that the two pin connectors on the stator side were pushed backwards flush with the rubber! I properly connected them and, voila! The lightning of Odin jumping a SOLID 7/8 in the spark tester! I put it on the muffs, pumped the primer bulb, turned the key, primed the motor (with the repaired primer solenoid), and the motor barked to life! Idling like a dream, sounds perfect! Turns out I made a rookie, "I'm in a hurry" mistake and rammed that plug together like the Hulk, and pushed the connectors back. All is well here and, best of all, I can return the $500 in new parts I've ordered. I want to say thank you to EVERYONE that weighed in on this. I want to extend an extra big thanks to fed who dealt with all of my obsessive, never ending (probably stupid) questions. You, sir, are owed a beer (or six) if you should ever visit the panhandle of Florida! I will try to pay it forward on the forum the best I can if someone has a similar motor, of course... THANK YOU!

Fed

Commander
You, sir, are owed a beer (or six) if you should ever visit the panhandle of Florida!
That ain't going to happen I'm in Australia and if I ever got to Florida I'd be parked at Cape Canaveral 24/7 waiting for rockets to launch.
Now you've got some nice new test equipment you can fix anything.

Bigben_1

Seaman
That ain't going to happen I'm in Australia and if I ever got to Florida I'd be parked at Cape Canaveral 24/7 waiting for rockets to launch.
Now you've got some nice new test equipment you can fix anything.

Lol, I hope the same holds true if I come to Aussie! I've been wanting to come there for years! Maybe one day.... Btw, my brother in law lives near the cape. I caught a launch last time and if I catch one again, I'll PM you the video! If I didn't have a boat, I'd have a rocket for sure! You ever visit Florida, you have a place to stay and beers all night! You're right, I've got some nice new tools and test equipment. Certainly can't hurt...

Last edited:

Bigben_1

Seaman
Hooorah for Bigben!!!!:rockon: :thumb:

Thanks ob! You've given some excellent pointers! Like I told fed, if you're ever in the panhandle of Florida you have a place to stay and beers on the house!