1994 Seadoo SP

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everybody,we have never owned a jetski before but I bought a old 94 SP for my kids to play on.Only paid 75.00 for it but have had to put another 75.00 or so just getting it all tuned up and servicing the things that needed to be done and replacing a couple small missing parts.Hopefully it will work good on the water.everything is looking good in the driveway anyway.In any case I thought for 75.00 its worth the risk.Have to finish putting the steering back together when the part arrives this week..Other than that it starts and seems to run great.

Well I was wandering if you currently own a 94 SP or did in the past..Just wanting kinda a review I guess..Can two people for example ride on it..Can it pull a tube?Whats the top speed? Just some general info or any advice on riding it too would be helpful...Thanksski.jpg

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1994 Seadoo SP

I had a '93 SP. Same boat other than the slightly more rounded top side of yours. The 580 single carb engine with one person aboard should run around 43-44 mph. It will do just fine with two normal sized humans on board, and will pull a child on a tube fair. Your problem will be getting them going. You will need to perfect the circle-n-snatch technique to get going good. Be sure to ALWAYS spray some sort of lube into the jet nozzle prior to starting out of water. The wear ring will wear ALOT faster if you dry start it with no lube on it. They are great boats and will last along time IF properly cared for. Be sure to winterize per BRP instructions, and change your filters...unless you want to get stuck out on the water. Use the proper specification injector oil, but you do not have to use BRP's $40+ / gallon oil. On the older Sea Doo hulls, you have to lean to the outside of a turn to get it to stick. Leaning in, like on a motorcycle, will cause it to slide.

Its a great deal you got on it, just do yourself a favor and get a shop manual and go over it thoroughly. Most importantly, have fun!

rogerwa

Commander

Is this a 500cc?? I am doubtful you will get much out of it with 2 people on it. Maybe two small people.. One thing you might consider is a carb rebuild and tuning. Just to ensure you are getting all the fuel and lube needed to the cylinders.

Not too shabby for $75..

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a manual,we just are completely new to these things and appreciate the advice..Some things we did is put on new fuel lines,cleaned the fuel selector,checked the impeller clearance,new plugs,new oil lines,completly drained and cleaned the fuel and oil tanks,using Quicksilver PWC oil and bleed the oil lines,checked compression and have consistent 153 in each cylinder,greased the drivleline or whatever,cleaned refilled the grease in the little cone at the rear..Hope it turns out to be a good dependable little unit after doing all this work....Thanks

infideltarget

Is this a 500cc?? I am doubtful you will get much out of it with 2 people on it. Maybe two small people.. One thing you might consider is a carb rebuild and tuning. Just to ensure you are getting all the fuel and lube needed to the cylinders.

Not too shabby for $75..

Its a 580cc, and they do JUST FINE with two normal sized people on board. My bone stock '93 580cc single carb with a 185lb me on it brand new, would outrun a new at the time Yamaha VFR with a 650cc, twin carbs, tuned Pro-Tec exhaust, Boyesen reeds, upgraded scoop grate, variable pitch Solas impeller, and a 10lb lighter pilot. The Sea Doos are made to run. It took a long time for the other makers to catch up to their out of the box performance. OP, unless you have to own the fastest most modern ski on the water, I think you and your kids will do just fine with this one. A good running example like this, with a good seat, graphics in good condition, running tip-top, and on a decent trailer would have no problems selling in my area for $1500(ish). I think you did juuuuust fine!

rogerwa

Commander

Not disagreeing with your personal experience. I have a Yamaha gp760 that I hate riding with more that one person. More so about it being tippy and sagging butt in the water. I would not want to go smaller.

infideltarget

Not disagreeing with your personal experience. I have a Yamaha gp760 that I hate riding with more that one person. More so about it being tippy and sagging butt in the water. I would not want to go smaller.

DIfferent hull. I dont disagree with the tippy at rest bit. It takes some practice and coordination to stay righted with two people on an older two seater. And deep water reboarding is an absolute joke with a newb on it! But I think the OP was wondering more about power, and would it actually pull two people on it. It will. Just fine. Not going to set any speed records, but it will more than plane out, and *should* do mid-high 30's in mph with two average sized adults on it, and good water.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 580cc, and they do JUST FINE with two normal sized people on board. My bone stock '93 580cc single carb with a 185lb me on it brand new, would outrun a new at the time Yamaha VFR with a 650cc, twin carbs, tuned Pro-Tec exhaust, Boyesen reeds, upgraded scoop grate, variable pitch Solas impeller, and a 10lb lighter pilot. The Sea Doos are made to run

+1 I've got a 96 Spi (580) that ran great stock. I have hopped mine up a little (high performance head, and an impeller) but even before that it ran good. They are not the fastest thing on the water but fairly respectable and loads of fun. It will pull decent 2 up and will pull a tube (I've even pulled a wakeboarder a time or 2.....They drag getting up but once up have a good ride). The part you will LOVE is you can dump 5 gallons in it and ride it wide open all weekend (try that on an 1100 ;) ).

Depending on the age of your kids, they will be on it ALL the time, you will really enjoy the low fuel usage.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everybody,I hope it is fun for the kids and really do not need them or myself for that matter going 70MPH,maybe the wife will even give it a try...I know what you mean about the fuel.I did some reading recently and see some bigger ones can use as much as 15 gallons a hour at wide open throttle,thats crazy and completely unaffordable for us..Also like the idea of the older machines being alot simpler,not alot of electronic garbage to deal with and the older ones seem to be easier to maintain and work on...And parts are cheaper through the used market circuit...