1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone, it's not a huge deal I just wish I had ordered more from the beginning. I've just been twiddling my thumbs this week waiting on the foam to get here tomorrow. I ordered 9.5 cubic feet for 108$ shipped, which only would've cost me around 90$ originally so not too horrible. ACon977 I can't tell you how many threads I've read through and the amount of times I've watched FriscoBoater's youtube series. In November I'd never owned a boat, and now I'm rebuilding one lol :facepalm::lol:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
The foam order came in last night, so after some much needed yard work today I moved on to the deck. I've only got two small spots left to go (after using the rest), but on the ones that have foam coming out of them I know for a fact it didn't fully expand. It's unfortunate, but I don't feel like drilling out 4 holes in each compartment for such a small space that doesn't have foam coverage. Tomorrow I'm planning on sanding, vacuuming, and cleaning the deck with acetone. After that I'll get the foam holes plugged back up, install the 2x2 piece above deck that I yanked out, and hopefully start CSMing the deck. I am curious about one thing; do I need to install the boat seat mounts before I use the 19oz glass i.e. on top of the CSM? Or can I wait until it's all finished then install? By seat mounts I'm referring to the 3/4" x 2 glued together, to give the seat mounts a place to screw into.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glass the deck before glassing the seat mounts. That way, the screw holes in the mounts won't rot the entire deck

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ACon977 I can't tell you how many threads I've read through and the amount of times I've watched FriscoBoater's youtube series. In November I'd never owned a boat, and now I'm rebuilding one lol :facepalm::lol:

I've grown up with a boat but this is my first one I actually own. But I couldn't afford one so the only option is to build the boat that I want lol. Glad to have a group like this forum to help and bring along the way.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
This morning I got out and plugged the foam holes, tabbed the rest of the deck, and got the above deck hull cleat installed. Later on I'm thinking about going back out to sand it all and get to cutting on the CSM. I'm going to do .8oz of CSM instead of doubling it, and then follow with a layer of 19oz. Here's some pics from earlier.

IMG_3121.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3116.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3118.JPG
    IMG_3118.JPG
    997.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last session of the day; sanded down some rough spots, another acetone bath, and then a poly soak on the deck. After that I laid down 3 pieces of CSM, and hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday I'll go back over those areas with the 19oz glass.

IMG_0001.jpg

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
going well for you ! I wish i was already that far :)

what did you use to seal the fuel line in the deck?

all the best for the upcoming work

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Rem and Broaters, and as far as the fuel line goes I just poured a little extra foam in the hose exits to seal that area. I'll be doing what BaylinerChuck did and adding a piece of ply PB'd in around the hole to make sure water can't run down into that cavity.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another question I have that I forgot to ask the other day.. Do I need to put a drainage hole in the ski locker? Of all the things I decided on I was never able to make a decision about doing that, and I can still go back before it's too late.

ACon977

Another question I have that I forgot to ask the other day.. Do I need to put a drainage hole in the ski locker? Of all the things I decided on I was never able to make a decision about doing that, and I can still go back before it's too late.

I certainly would, I know a lot of them are always full of water due to the lid not being a waterproof seal, and you are constantly opeing it up to get stuff in/out. Lots that I've seen don't, and you get that nasty film in them.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was planning on just keeping it covered and making sure I always cleaned it out, but I decided just to drill two small holes in the PVC at the very back of the compartment. Then I can just periodically open the ball valve for drainage.

ACon977

I think that makes the most sense. Those things are typically a bear to clean :encouragement:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a great day working on the boat this afternoon. My dad came over again to finish wiring the speakers and radio, while I finished up on most of the deck work. Tomorrow I'll work on drilling the holes for the swim ladder and fish finder, adding the last piece of glass on the deck, sanding the deck, and possibly even starting on the deck gel coat.

IMG_0036.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

oldrem

Commander
I'm sensing a splash in the very near future. I'll bet you're getting excited.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0018 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.4 KB ID:	10562751Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0019 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	10562752Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0017 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	10562753Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	10562754

Certainly are Rem! Date for the cap reunion is May 12th. Weather was too crappy to get to anything Sunday, so this week will be for seat bases, finishing glassing, sanding with the new ROS I picked up, and praying the sunshine holds up. The tricky part for me is these carpeted wood pieces inside the bow area storage, as well as the aft storage wood. I believe (?) it's structural, so I'll just make some new ones and PL them in.

Last edited:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spent the morning working on just some small things to cross off the list. At the moment I'm just waiting on the PL to cure on the pedestal bases, but I ran into a couple things I have absolutely no clue about. On the fish finder it appears to have screws under a plate, but I can't get access to it. I'm also not sure what the white (cracked) piece is that the hose barb attaches to. If anyone could help on those two things that would be greatly appreciated!!

Once I get the seat bases PB'd/glassed in then I can finally start gel coating the deck, and finish installing the hatches.

IMG_0108.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0105 (1).jpg
    IMG_0105 (1).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1

Baylinerchuck

Commander
That’s weird looking. Is that some sort of old pitot tube for a speedo? The transducer bracket has to unsnap somehow from the base that’s screwed into the transom.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to go back and find a better picture BC that shows where that piece/hose goes. Not sure if that helps but I can’t find the piece anywhere online still lol. As far as the fish finder goes, I may just waterproof the edges and call it a day since I really don’t want to risk breaking it.

Random external transom parts aside, I was able to finish the seat bases and install them last night. Once I got home from work tonight I put the first layer of gel coat on the deck. MAN that feels good. Tomorrow I’ll go with coats 2 and 3, and hopefully get the new steering cables ordered. The steering kit that’s on it is a Teleflex Safe-T, so I’ll just be ordering 2 of those hopefully tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6853F58-9082-4671-89EF-5F23622B5657.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	190.3 KB ID:	10565711

20896D0A-7F4D-4564-8345-8D925A6E05DD.jpeg