1993 115hp hard starting

fre2rome

Recruit
I bought a used pontoon last year with a 115hp evinrude outoard. We really like the boat but it has a few quirks.
The engine is hard as heck to get started, I usually put the rabbit ears on it and try to get it started before we leave for the lake. Once it starts and warms up a bit it will idle and run all day, until you shut it off. If the we stop and swim for an hour or so, it it is hard to start again. I fouled out 2 or 3 sets of plugs last year.
Not sure of the proper starting sequence for this engine, the guy I bought it off of said it loves the choke. all i do is seem to flood it!
Do you think there is a carb problem or fuel issue?
does anyone know the proper spark plug for the engine VE115TLETS?

Also wanting to purchase a service manual, any suggestions on the best one to get?

Thanks for any input, I dont want to go thru the starting issues again this year. Steve

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 115hp hard starting

I have this same engine. It too can be hard to start. I cleaned the carbs over the winter with the hopes of making it better. Now I am having trouble getting it running again. I hope that with the help of the experts here on iboats I can get it going.

The best place for a manual that I found is ebay. Make sure you get the OMC one and not the Clymers. It will tell you the correct spark plug to use. It is the Champlion Q777-something. Sorry I can't remember the exact part number right now but if you search on this forum you will find it. Don't use anything but the Champion plug (based on what the experts here say).

Good luck!!