1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I am using vinyl ester so I guess 2 layers of 1708 it is Do you guys think 1.5" each way and 3" each way will be enough? I want to keep it as small as possible so when the gel coat repair is done it will be easier

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Aren't you able to do that glassing on the underside? The fill and fair the surface.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you can repair from the underside maybe just a fill and fair like kc said .. The deck is supported well right ? So not much stress from walking on it ...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes I did replace the wood from the bottom. But all I was able to do was pb on the bottom before the wood. Then I tabbed the wood to the liner. I didn't get a lot of ouzing from the saw cut.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I would think that you would be good to go. For peace of mind maybe add some more glass underside. The glass seams on top probably will show thru the gelcoat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't done it yet, you could v groove it out fairly deep and wide and then grind and feather and then use Tiger Hair (PB with 3/4" CSM Strands) to fill that cut. That stuff will NOT crack especially with the vinylester. Then with the final fairing material you'll be golden. Lot's easier than using 1708. Hopefully if you did use the 1708 you put it down CSM side up. You don't want the fabric side up due to the pattern bleed thru. You want the csm to dissolve and blend with the resin for sanding and fairing ease.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Tiger hair is not easy to work with I may have it on a little heavy but I figure I'll sand and fare

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Heavy has to be better than not enough.
Good stuff! Tiger hair, hair if the dog lol! I like Zools idea where I read he added pigment to the mix just so the color could be not so dramatic.
Any faring micro balloons at all etc? Supposed to make faring/sanding easier.
LOL Tiger Hair... You just an Animal, animal...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
No micro balloons in this mix. I'll grind it down a little then fare with balloons.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, the Long Strands in the TH make it a goopy mess but it's strong as the dickens and will be a bit more difficult to grind/sand but that's good because you want it to be so it won't be cracking and breaking later. From what I can see ya dun rite good!!!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Goopy mess great description I have a feeling you know what your talking about. Haha

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
PC120015_zps0591158c.jpg
j

Ok we have talked about this before but I want to make sure I do this correct. The area where the foam is in the picture is covered with plywood. I plan on pbing it to the tops of the stringers then 1 layer of 17 oz tab over top of plywood and down the stringer. plus 1 layer of 17oz on both sides of the plywood. My / is in this area where i am pbing the ply on and tabbing should I still cover tops of stringers with 8oz prior to installing plywood?

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Poly or Epoxy pb there? In any event you should be able to use either AND add chopped fibers to whichever you use. Let's see what others chime in with. :joyous:

zool

Captain
If the ply rests on the pb buttered stringer tops, then no need to cap the stringers...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I will be using epoxy in this area. And yes the ply will set on top of the pb

zool

Captain
I will be using epoxy in this area. And yes the ply will set on top of the pb

regardless of what resin u use, its not needed for a deck, stringer sammich....but it wont hurt if u want to ;)