1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
couple more pbed in By the time I am done tabbing everything in I am going to have 2 to 4 layers over the entire hull.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup nuts right. Like wog said before glassing up the deck prior to the tabs etc is almost not necessary because everything just carries over and covers the areas that may have been weak but klike you said.....2-4 layers on layers. Super strong.
So in general... whats your feelings about EEEpoxy now that you had a chance to use it. Just wondering.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah that wog he is wise be on his years.
I like it. I like the extra time you have to work with it with the poly it can get away from you with epoxy it seems like you have more than enough time.the one thing I noticed is the top edge gets a little dry maybe about a half inch down here in there in spots. but being as how I'm going over with a noun camping the tub I just figured I'll sand it down and kept it. I also like the fact that the smell is nowhere near as bad. so all in all I like it alot

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Minch, I been watching from afar!!! Haven't had much to say since you been doing such great work. You learned a lot from your previous build. I don't use epoxy much, but you are learning one of the problems it has. On verticals, due to it's longer Kick time, the tops have a tendency to become resin starved since the resin will run to the bottom before it kicks. Therefore you need to "Babysit" it and drag the resin back to the top to keep the top glass wet with resin. It works Great on flat areas, but I never like working it on verticals. I guess I'm a Weirdo, cuz I kinda like the smell of Poly resin!!!:der::doh::loco::wacko::crazy:

zool

Captain
fore some reason or another, theres always some spots of the cloth that just wont wet out completely, maybe its from greasy finger prints, or whatever, as long as its not a big bump of air, its fine.....

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Wont let me edit in post 543 where it says noun camping the tub its suppose to say 8 oz capping the top darn auto correct on phone LOL
Yeah wood I new you were there. Figured when you had something to say you would!!! I am glad to hear your feeling better take time to heal. all ares and your projects will wait
Thats kinda what I figured zool because every piece i did would have a couple spots that just would not wet out but didn't seem like air bubbles. If only we could turn the boat like a car on a rotisserie

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yeah that wog he is wise be on his years.
I like it. I like the extra time you have to work with it with the poly it can get away from you with epoxy it seems like you have more than enough time.the one thing I noticed is the top edge gets a little dry maybe about a half inch down here in there in spots. but being as how I'm going over with a noun camping the tub I just figured I'll sand it down and kept it. I also like the fact that the smell is nowhere near as bad. so all in all I like it alot

I'll leave @ 1/2" rough glass above on the verticals and keep rolling it till it starts to be/conform to the top flat edge. Then razor it or grind it off later. Like WOG said...babysitting it.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well while I am waiting for things to cure on the hull I decided to start on the soft spot on the liner floor
Bottom glass cut out wet wood removed The other side is only wet near the edge only removing whats wet the dry stuff is not coming off easy so i figure I will leave well enough alone.
Topside where of coarse I cut thru Other side where I learned from my previous mistake.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
My plan is to do use some poly pb to fiill saw cut so that no epoxy comes up to the top. so I can repair the gel on top.
I plan on doing 2 coats of 17 oz on the bench let it dry pb tne new wood up to deck then tab it in this way minimal upside down work. I'm no KFC LOL.
I am only using the poly on topside
Also do I have to use small squares or can I do it in one or 2 pcs.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
My plan is to do use some poly pb to fiill saw cut so that no epoxy comes up to the top. so I can repair the gel on top.
I plan on doing 2 coats of 17 oz on the bench let it dry pb tne new wood up to deck then tab it in this way minimal upside down work. I'm no KFC LOL.
I am only using the poly on topside
Also do I have to use small squares or can I do it in one or 2 pcs.

From what I understand....The squares allowed for alot of strength. So like say a parkay floor then wet out the resin on the woods then the resins in between the scattered/separated parkay made a very strong bond. Sometimes they used multiple layers of parkay and laid glass in between those too. Additionally usually the grains faced in opposite directions, creating more strength
My understanding for todays use is that the new ply woods are stronger and better than the days of yea, in addition to the new adhesives of choice.
So that's one of the reasons we can use large sections of ply for repair or replacement.
I was thinking along the same lines as yourself about transitioning to pppoollll...pooll...poly {whew need spell check, almost harder to say than t t t tin. aluminummm,** but I've already set my gears to paint vs. gelcoat. To many areas for me on the surface to fix that I want to use EEEEpoxy on. Old boat but a new Tank.
Hats Off to you Minch! :rockon::rockon: Doppleganger! Great thread.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Moving right along !!
Is it my imagination or did you glass your scissors to the hull ? :twitch:

zool

Captain
You can use the epoxy for it all, gel is applied over small epoxy repairs all the time, just wash off any blush with water. Its in the large sections, like gelling over an entire deck, that some unreacted amines get missed, that problems can occur...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not that concerned about strength it sits on another plywood.
No i did not glass my scissors to the hull lol
I also have a gallon of vynle ester so I thought I might as well use it

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
3 more pcs put in this morning bow one 2 layers of 17oz only have 1 more main pc then a couple small ones

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well thanks for that. Looks great. Heading out to work on me boat now!! What kind of gas tank are you going to end up installing?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Just checking in... WOW, you've done a ton of work. Looks great. You'll be able to bring that over and meet me on the Canadian side no problem! :)