1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lol, work=rest for a lot of us. But yes, doing this for a living would probably get old...because people are cheap!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Picked up a whole roll of 17 oz. When did a hundred pounds get so heavy lol P4020001_zps0vnwlxqy.jpg

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Kc its supposed to show up tomorrow.
Zool only one I hope. Last time I didn't order enough and it ended up costing me a lot more then this order. Plus the glass I bought locally for 4.60 a yrd.

zool

Captain
Zool only one I hope. Last time I didn't order enough and it ended up costing me a lot more then this order. Plus the glass I bought locally for 4.60 a yrd.

4.60 is an awesome price, I pay over 7...just don't go overboard on the resin, a little goes a long way, and its stronger if not globbed on..just wet it out...it will turn yellow ..after a little while..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Just in time for the weekend!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well that's a nicey! Time now to play with EEEEEpoxyyy!! Minch good for you! One of those boxes might be mine. lol

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Played around a little tonight. filled the screw holes What was left P4030002_zpsb9e6aete.jpg P4030004_zpshwtoyv6i.jpg

Last edited:

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice!!
I seen WOG post about warming before mixing, it definitely works!
I found by taking a 12x12 piece of plywood and wrapping with plastic gives a good place to set wet tools and wet containers from sticking, kinda like a painters palette. Looks like your going to be busy:)

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I'll be trying that tomorrow. How long do I have to wait between coats of resin on bare wood

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You could redo when it gets tacky. Out skins will only take 1 wet coat as far as penetration goes. It's more so the edges and filled voids that need more than 1 wet out.
PB is picture perfect!

zool

Captain
You want to recoat it wet on wet, you want it to draw in, especially on the edges..once it sets up, it makes a hard coating, so no more can draw in. I was doing one side, and the edges with 3 coats on edges, and 2 on the side, then after it sets, I flip it and put 2 coats on the other side, and 1 more on the edges......

zool

Captain
Another handy thing to do is take some of the other small wood you will be coating and use whats left in the pail...eliminates waste

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can also drive some screws thru plywood/something like 2x4's and set them on your work table. Then place the pc you want to wet out, wet it out like Zool said then you can immediately flip over to do the other side so you don't have too wait for the set up and do the other side. Then roll on to the next pc. in the same fashion. If you want you can also tip the points of the screws with a dash of car wax to reduce the sticking. But usually they just come off. If you wax it wipe off with acetone. Also lets you get into the raw edges cause it's elevated above work table.
Dadadadadats all folks. Going out to glass me up some wood..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the info it definitely will help!!! I sanded the excess epoxy off the surrounding screws so the the resin will soak in P4040002_zpspfwdmkmp.jpg

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
So I am not going to be able to pre resin this till tomorrow My plan is to do the edges and the side that will be glued to the transom glass. Then do the other side after install so I can get it installed tomorrow if possible. How long will it take to set up enough to glue it in? And does that make sense or should I just do both sides then install?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just do both sides and let it dry up. Whats the big rush anyway? Your so far into it now. Get a pair of cabinet hardware handles and screw them into the face side. They will let you lift and handle the transom into place with their grips so much easier.
I don't know why you can't wet out both sides now?
When you go to set it with the pb to the transom you should make it not overwhelming thick but enough so that the pb runs out the sides and bottom. At which point you will work the pb drippings into filets.
You need to do a dry run with the placement of the transom. You need to do a dry run with the clamping also at the same time. I like wogs idea of drilling out some holes so the pb locks in the transom to the skin. Did you make up a clamping system?
Take your time...cause you can.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I'm confused... why would you epoxy the transom and let it dry before it goes in the boat? Or am I not following correctly?