1989 Ski Brendella (boat restoration progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Ski Brendella (boat restoration progress)

...I just got off the phone with Hilton (he really is a brother to me)...

Most important thing you said. Not many people have given me boats... or engines out of 98 Trans Ams, or driven ~7 hours, twice, to be present for births of children.

Dave at Loctite spent about an hour on the phone with me discussing this. I'm extremely grateful and feel good about my plan. I will use the spacers Galen and I talked about. If I'm ever in Ohio, Loctite Dave needs a beer as well.

Now to see if I can call in another favor and get a buddy with a truck to deliver some 16' long 2x6".

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember this thread?

I've got a ton of excuses. Hell, everybody has them.

End result is that the project sat for a few months. Recently the weather has been nice, so I put a few more dollars and hours into the boat.

Stringers are glued in, I opted not to wrap the stringers in fiberglass prior to attaching to the boat. The originals weren't and they lasted ~25 years. I surface prepped the stringers, wiped them down with acetone, and glued/clamped/screwed motor mounts to them.

This weekend I plan to start glassing.

GalenTheBoatKiller and I apparently are racing each other. I called him the other day to tell him my progress and he started looking for project boats on Craigslist. Hilarious that we're both the cause of each others boat project. He because he gave me this albatross, me for inspiring his purchase!

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's looking good Hilton! I actually think you were right to not resin soak prior to installation for two reasons:

1. PL glue is made to adhere well to wood, even wet wood. It's main use is for subfloors. Moisture in the wood even increases its bond.

2. The less you need to re-prep when glassing, the better. My advice is to cut all your cloth/biax tabbing and matting so that it can all be laid up at once. You'll get a better bond(chemical) and best of all, less grinding/prepping.

Keep up the good work.

Badfish

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You want to make Sure and clean ALL the PL off the Stringers and sand em down and clean with acetone and then coat with resin before attempting to glass them. If you don't the glass will not adhere properly. It takes up to 3 days for the PL to cure and even then the glass and resin will not stick to it very well.

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also ordered engine parts a few days ago. They should be here tomorrow.

Spark plugs and wires
distributer cap and rotor
alternator
starter
oil pan and gasket
oil filter
fuel filter
impeller

I still need to buy a coil, oil, transmission fluid, fuel line, carpet, vinyl, belts, probably more fiberglass, definitely more beer.

Galentheboatkiller

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like I am spotting you another day...gotta help a friend out tomorrow. If I get home early enough, I will try to cut out the other side of my floor tomorrow.

Oh yea, the stringers look like crap. You need to rip them out and start over!:laugh:

Galen

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought some 1.5 ounce, some limes, and a case of Corona.

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day. I'll probably spend most of the day prepping, then pass out. BUT I'VE GOT CHOPPED STRAND MAT!

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made some good progress today. I had a friend come help me with the prep work.

Several posts *(and months) ago we had some discussion on leaving the pockets in place. I have decided to cut away the pockets and then put new fiberglass from the hull, up the stringer and back down the other side. I am not sorry I left the pockets in place while I glued the new stringers to the hull. They did a fantastic job of keeping the stringers in place.

I have at least another full day of prep before I can begin glassing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks to me like he Thinks you're a #1 Boat Restorer!!!!!:D

Galentheboatkiller

Seaman Apprentice

Damn, Jack looks like he is getting good at prepping! Ask him if he wants to come to S Mississippi in a few weeks! I will supply beer and steaks!

The boat is looking GREAT! I got the other half of my floor removed today, then had to quit and get ready for rain and work. I will take pics and update my own post latter today if weather permits.

Galen

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought two rolls of 1.5 oz chop strand mat last week. One is a 12" wide roll, one a 28" wide roll. I paid ~$190 for them including tax. I bought these after talking to a guy who allegedly has repaired boats for "over 40 years" He said that this is what he uses.

I'm starting to question my decision, but I can return the rolls without penalty.

Obviously I'm not the first person to replace stringers in a boat, AND I can do math. Would I be better off returning the 1.5 oz CSM and purchasing (*from USComposits) alternate materials?

The boat is 19' long, the stringers are ~14' long, the floor will need to be covered also, probably going 9" up the hull, and (by that point) 6.25" down the stringer. The middle portion of the boat will have no floor. That is where the engine will sit.

If I return the rolls, what materials should I order, and in what lengths and widths?

Here is what I'm thinking:

Both sides of two 14' stringers is 56'

56' x 6" - tab in stringers (3" up stringer, 3" onto hull)
56' x 12" - overlap tab in stringers (~6" up and around stringer, ~6" onto hull)
56' x 24" - wrap stringer completely (6" hull, 5.5" up stringer, 1.5" across top, 5.5" down, 6" hull)

56'x42" would work if I didn't mind cutting it up, though I'm sure there's a better way. (This doesn't address the floor)

Or should I just keep the 1.5 oz?

I've read enough to be overwhelmed. Reading even more may not be the solution.

It looks like 50" width 1708 is $8.25 a yard plus shipping. If I did the math correctly, I need ~16 yards. ~$132 plus shipping.

The price break is at 25 yards, it goes to $7.80 a yard. Unless someone tells me differently, I plan to buy 25 yards at $7.80 for $195 plus shipping and take back the two rolls I have already.

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got off the phone with USComposits. I ordered 25 yards of 50" width 1708. I'll return the 1.5 oz CSM on my way home from work.

Here is another fun question regarding resin:
I have two gallons of resin.
One is 3M brand, "fiberglass resin" part no. 20125
The other is Bondo brand, which apparently is also made by 3M. It has PASO written at the top and 404 near the bottom.

From what I've read, you are not supposed to mix different types of resin.
I know that I am going to need more resin.
The local place has both "lay up" resin and just "resin". The lay up resin is a LOT cheaper.

What should I do?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would not use either. I would use the unwaxed laminating 435 resin from uscomposites. The stuff you are referencing is lots more pricey and not near as good as the usc stuff. By the time you're done you will prolly have used a minimum of 10 gals.:)

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've already got it. Can I use it and then pu that 435 over it?

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 435 is the same "layup" resin I can get locally for about the same price. I'd pay tax but not shipping.

Should I save the resin I already have to be the final coat, since the layup needs something over it to cure?

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright. I think I'm set.

I've got a 5 gallon bucket of the layup resin, the hardener for it, and 25 yards of 1708 coming my way.

Now, should I return the two one gallon containers of resin I bought or use them as a top coat over the layup resin?

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take the Bondo and 3M stuff back. You'll probably need 10 gallons at a minimum to get your deck and stringers wrapped. They are probably similar chemically, but I would hate to have to grind it off if they weren't compatible... The first time is enough to never want to do it again...

I was working on my project and thought about you and your buddy racing to get your projects finished. I think you guys need something to work for other than bragging rights...... That is why I will happily ship the "Golden Chip Brush Award" to the first one with a successful lake test.

Feast your eyes on this meticulously handcrafted work of art:

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The much desired golden chip brush!

Now I'm motivated!

The tracking number indicates that the 1708 will be here Friday. The weather channel says this weekend might not be a good time to work on a boat though. Lows in the upper 30s.
Bah, they don't know anything.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

2 things...Bondo and 3M resin both have wax in them so you have to do wet on wet layups. If you don't you must sand and wash down with acetone before you can put on the next layer of mat or cloth. 2nd they both tend to set up a Lot quicker than the other laminating resin which will BYITA when you least want it to and end up wasting resin and costing you money. I'd return it.

HiltonFerg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've read that a wax layer should be put down last so that the layup will harden fully. I shouldn't use it as a final coat over the completed stringers?

Status
Not open for further replies.