**1989 Evinrude 110Hp Running Like Crud Video inserted ..........

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: **1989 Evinrude 110Hp Running Like Crud Video inserted ..........

Its like its stumbling all over the place and the idle is just not right.Not sure what else could be wrong,all this trouble happened after i added that darn missing Intermediate jet.I am now thinking i should just take it out and run it or buy some new carbs off ebay.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I listened to the video. Not sure just the problem is..Seems to idle normally on the garden hose. Part way through, you move the carb butterflys to rev the engine. When you rev the engine up, you are not doing it the way you would when it is in the water. You are opening the carb only-no spark advance. When you run the engine in the water, you rev the engine by advancing the throttle handle. When the throttle handle advances, two things happen: 1. the carb opens and 2, the spark advances. It's this factory "sync'd" relationship/movement which makes the engine run normally. It's difficult to determine just how the engine runs when it's on the trailer. There is no exhaust backpressure from being 2' underwater. It might sound just fine when running on the trailer and might only be firing on 2 cyls-hard to tell on a V4. Have you recently tried testing the engine when the boat when it is floating normally in the water and the engine is under load? (in gear?)

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes as above^^^^
Also check your spark plugs to see they all look the same

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

running off a portable fuel tank with a new ball should help you. you want to identify wither its your engine or fuel supply. but the sneezing usually means idle circut.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

emdsapmgr - You are correct, when i advance the throttle control maybe 1/4 to 1/2, i do not get the same spitting as bad however its still noticeable.

Running a portable gas tank on this does not result in a better idle or runability so i know at least from the gas tank to the motor everything is okay.

Guys- Any idea why the PO did not have the intermediate jets or orifices installed originally? That's really stumping me? I have aluminum bowls on this motor currently.I keep going back to the carb because this is the only thing that has changed on the motor and it all started after i installed those damn jets.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Can you clarify

The drilled out holes are still there? You cant add the jets into a drilled out hole can you?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the drilled out holes are there however they are supposed to be after looking at a similar bowl.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

How did it run without the jets, would you consider running it like that again if it ran ok without it, and try and forget that its like that?
Pretty weird though.
I suppose you have checked for any crankcase/ vacuum hose leaks?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know it actually ran much better especially at idle and i do not have any of the symptoms i am experiencing now.It did however run rich.Also that is a good looking dog in your pic Bosunsmate!

I am curious why those jets were missing originally? Could it damage the motor running without them?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes thanks shes no troll. Shes not fidgety like most border collies so has become probably my favourite dog ive owned.

Not sure why they would remove them, ive seen people do all sorts of things to stuff that takes a while to work out why they did it, seems its alwaysto try and do a quick temporary fix.
Since it made it run rich i doubt it would of caused any problems.
How many carbs are on that motor?
Im wondering if they did it to try and minimise the affect of a worn upper or lower crankcase seal

mjfrederick

Seaman Apprentice

emdsapmgr - You are correct, when i advance the throttle control maybe 1/4 to 1/2, i do not get the same spitting as bad however its still noticeable.

Have you tried putting the boat in water and running at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with the engine in gear? As emdsapmgr said, back pressure on the exhaust system caused by the water pressure (or whatever method depending on the application) is part of a 2-stroke engine's tuning.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried putting the boat in water and running at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with the engine in gear? As emdsapmgr said, back pressure on the exhaust system caused by the water pressure (or whatever method depending on the application) is part of a 2-stroke engine's tuning.

It has two carbs

I have not tried it in the water with fear i would be broke down or be stuck on the lake. I would expect it to idle fine without having to be on the water. I mean this thing skips all over the place when i apply throttle to it on the garden hose.I will look closer at any type of vacuum leaks as well,i did replace all of the hoses to/from the carb to vro.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I think most of your advisors know that it has 2 carburetors with each bore feeding just one cylinder !----So hook up a timing light as you work on this issue at home to see if there is an ignition miss on one or more cylinders.------If there is no ignition issue then back the trailer into the water and let it idle to see how it runs.-Let it run for a while.--Are thermostats installed ?

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to be say. In watching your video, your motor sounds completely fine to me.

Not knowing your background, do you have much history with 2-strokes? If not, they're NOT going to run nice and smooth like a 4-stroke will at idle, especially out of water. Barring the new high-tech 2-stroke's of today, they're going to have that rough, unrefined sound. Totally normal. I don't hear any major missing or sneezing in your video at all. I sounds totally healthy to me. And to be honest, I've had other 2-strokes that would sneeze like crazy at idle.. I'd still take them out. I often find that once you get them up to speed, on plane, nice and warmed up, they run a lot better once you bring it back to idle. You're not going to be able to simulate that on a garden hose.

I for one vote that you first get out there and try it on the lake first before you waste your time looking for a problem that might not be a problem!

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

This far i can only think it to be a worn upper or lower seal or both.
Have you tried putting your fingers into the throat of one carb to act as choking to see if you can narrow it down?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

racerone - If you would have read the post you would have seen the question asked by Bosunsmate "How many carbs are on that motor"?

Bosunsmate- I will try and check that with a finger in the throat of the carbs to see if it has any effect on idle.