**1989 Evinrude 110Hp Running Like Crud Video inserted ..........

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: **1989 Evinrude 110Hp Running Like Crud Video inserted ..........

You know my primer bulb does not stay hard for any length of time after I pump it up,it goes flat after only maybe 10-15 seconds.

QUOTE=emdsapmgr;4452973]The fuel primer bulb will get hard-when you first prime it each day, prior to cold starting the engine. Once the engine is running and it begins to suck fuel through the line, the bulb will soften-but it should not collapse. That's normal. That engine was never made to suck fuel through a fuel water separator. That does not mean it won't- but it's worth testing. Bypass the water separator filter and see if it makes a difference. That engine should have a recirculation system on the front of the intake manifold. Double check to see that those small hoses are not leaking-it can affect idling somewhat.[/QUOTE]

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

so with your motor off, you pump your primer bulb hard and after 10 secs it goes soft, if this is the case then take your pulsating line off your vro and inspect for fuel, no fuel should be in that pulsating line, if so you have a leak in the vro diaphram. (you have to use the correct stiff pulse line as well). if not then maybe the fuel is getting dumped through your carb or carbs, it's gotta go somewhere. if the vro has a hole in it then i'd invest in a regular fuel pump and mix my own fuel. Also, check every every every fuel line connection and oil connection, any kind of leak/wrong clamp etc will reak havoc, also, if you suspect low fuel then just open the float bowl nut and see if fuel spews out....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's not unusual for the ball valves to fail inside an older fuel primer bulb. Also, if it's older, make sure the bulb is in the correct orientation. The arrow on the bulb should point skyward for optimal operation. If it's laying downhill in the splashwell of the boat, it may not function properly.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! I will check this out today as well as purchase a new primer bulb.

It's not unusual for the ball valves to fail inside an older fuel primer bulb. Also, if it's older, make sure the bulb is in the correct orientation. The arrow on the bulb should point skyward for optimal operation. If it's laying downhill in the splashwell of the boat, it may not function properly.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You know my primer bulb does not stay hard for any length of time after I pump it up, it goes flat after only maybe 10-15 seconds.

The fuel primer bulb will only go flat if a fuel restriction exists between the primer bulb and the fuel supply.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i have been in the process of moving so i had to let this go for awhile but now i am back.I did try a little 3 gallon tank and with a new primer bulb however this did not help anything still running like crud.One thought i had when i originally rebuilt this carb the first time their were no intermediate jets installed.So i bought four of them and installed them.That is when i started havinng all this trouble.It actually ran much better without them?? Why would that be? Wrong float bowls maybe?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

What are the jets you a talking about? Orifice 0333459?
Have you done a spark test and checked timing?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the two orifice's 333459 were missing in each float bowl so added them. Spark jumps a good 7/16

QUOTE=Bosunsmate;4461353]What are the jets you a talking about? Orifice 0333459?
Have you done a spark test and checked timing?[/QUOTE]

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

So i am really starting to think the jets or the bowl are incorrect for this motor.The odd thing was the idel was great when the jets were missing however as emdsapmgr stated it ran very rich.All of these problems started after i put in jets that were missing.

Does anyone know if these motors are supposed to have metal bowls? Also i notice the metal bowl is much more shallow than its plastic counterpart as well as the jet sizes are different.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I've sort of lost track of what is happening here but I'll try to catch up.

Note that "Intermediate jet" #333459 is for the 88hp and the 90hp models, not the 110hp model.

To my knowledge, drawing on memory, the 1989 110hp model carburetor was all aluminum, both the upper body and the float chamber. Should i be in error, I'm sure other members will correct this statement.

To pin down this jet confusion, the 1989 110hp model uses the following jets.

IDLE - Air Bleed Jet - #323703 - .036 - Marked 36 - Screwed at a angle upwards in the top forward portion of the carburetor throat.

INTERMEDIATE - Fuel Measuring Jet - #333458 - .025 - Marked 25C - Screwed vertically downwards into the float chamber.

HIGH - Fuel Measuring Jet - #317183 - .067 - Marked 67C - Screwed horizontially into each side of the bottom center portion of the float chambers... way in back of the drain screws.

All jets to be screwed in so as to be seated snugly.

If the carburetors are the proper carburetors for that 1989 110hp model and the above jets installed properly, and the carburetors are indeed clean... should the problem still exist, I would assume the problem is elsewhere.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may be on to something. About the 89 timeframe is when OMC went to the plastic float bowls on their V4 and V6 crossflows. Most of these plastic bowls have warped with age-a bad design by OMC. Not so much a matter of "if" they would warp, but "when." Most of the warped bowls did not screw flat to the aluminum upper carb body and resulted in fuel leaks around the bowl gasket. A few of them warped in the area where the brass fuel suction lines are and those caused lean running issues-a much more serious running problem. For a while OMC made aluminum bowl kits for customers (not a warranty item) to help with the problem. If your engine has the factory original plastic bowls, I'd replace them. If yours has aluminum (replacement) bowls, I'd check to make sure they are the exact (replacement) ones that your engine requires. Depending on what year aluminum bowls were installed, some of the aluminum bowls have different configurations and may not adapt perfectly to the carb uppers. (not all bowls have mid jets in them like yours requires.) I think Joe has given you some information that is helpful: pull the carbs apart and double check the 3 types of jets per his last thread reply: #30. The only thing is that the main jet (.067) is probably marked 67C, not 25C.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The only thing is that the main jet (.067) is probably marked 67C, not 25C.

Thanks for the notice. A typo on my part of course... I changed it to read the proper 67C.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the notice. A typo on my part of course... I changed it to read the proper 67C.

Something interesting with this float bowl i noticed while putting in the new jets its looks like its drilled out all the way through however when i look at other metal float bowls i do not see this.Is this normal?Carb float bowl.jpg

Carb float bowl.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'm looking at a set of aluminum bowls from a late model 90. The bowls look to be the same as the ones you have pictured. The large holes are to be completely open-all the way to the bottom (where the main jet is), so that the brass tubes (from the upper carb body) can suck up fuel. Those main jets screw in from the outside of the bowl, behind the bowl drain screws. The smaller holes next to these two large holes should have the small brass mid-jets screwed into the holes.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Somewhere along the line, I had assumed you had a factory manual for your specific engine. If you do not and you intend to keep that engine awhile, it would be a good idea to purchase one to avoid confusion.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Somewhere along the line, I had assumed you had a factory manual for your specific engine. If you do not and you intend to keep that engine awhile, it would be a good idea to purchase one to avoid confusion.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well I do have factory evinrude manual.

Let me try this again... Not sure how to explain this inside the float bowl on either side there are holes inside.I guess I would explain it like this:

If I took out all the jets and held the float bowl at eye level I would be able to see thru to the other side of the bowl looking thru the drain screws however in the picture of these bowls it does not appear to be open all the way through.I am wondering if this is normal or something the previous owner did.Sorry I wish I could explain this better.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's normal to be able to see all the way through.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If I took out all the jets and held the float bowl at eye level, I would be able to see thru to the other side of the bowl looking thru the drain screws...... however in the picture of these bowls "it does not appear to be open all the way through".

Obviously I edited your statement slightly (above) so that we all understand that with all jets removed, you CANNOT see thru the float chamber from one side to the other, viewing in either drain screw hole opening.

If this is the case, I would assume that something is clogging that horizontal passageway.... get out your single strand steel wire and find out what it is.

I'm assuming that when you say that you removed all the jets... you removed the two high speed jets, one on each side, in back of those two drain screws, near the bottom center portion of the float chamber? If you didn't, my guess is that you're looking at a clogged up high speed jet.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay hooked up a small tank with new primer bulb however same thing. I have attached another video of me working the throttle and it coughing.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Hi video isnt working