1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Cheetah 210es complete rebuild - project blood sweat & beers

Dustin,
Nice looking project.
As for the materials like poly resin, MEKP, and CSM you have some options that are a lot closer to home and less cost. I have been absent from this forum for about 10 months or so but I'm sure the sources are still there. One is on the North side of Nashville and the other in Louisville. I was getting the resin for $20 a gallon. I live just south of you so if you need some help sometime I'd be glad to.
Take care and have fun.
Bob

Thanks bob its funny that you actually commented as i was looking through your thread last night and noticed that you were in cecilia, ky as ive been to some truck pulls there, And i might just need help but not sure as I've never touched fiberglass until i get going on this but i also have a friends dad that has done quite a bit of fiberglass work so hes suppost to give me a hand. What lake do you go to mostly? Ill probably be at nolin alot due to having family down there also a friends family with a houseboat and a friends parents having a lake house so if anything I might run into you down there? Also where at in louisville can i get the supplys I've looked in the yellow pages with no luck so i was going to order everything from us composites but i would love to be able to buy things locally.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i finally got the piece or rust removed from my cornea yesterday so i actually felt like doing a little bit of work, so i decided to cut the transom into 3 pieces and now im happy with how it fit and i also put up another light in the garage so i can see alot better once its time to start glassing so here are some pics of the transom now

2434efd1.jpg

cd869d99.jpg

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great! Did you cut angles on each piece so they match up too? Don't see any gap forming there. Or is the angle so small that you just can't see it?

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i need to cut a real small angle on the outer pieces but not much at all, it would probably be fine without any angle and just let it fill in with pb during the install but ill probably get it fitting perfect

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Dustin,
I will have to look up the name and number of the place when I get home this weekend. It was down along the river behind one of the boat dealers. I go to a lot of different lakes but my favorite isn't in KY, it's in Arkansas, Greers Ferry Lake. If you need some help just let me know, I would be happy to assist. I sould be back home full time after the first of the year.
What's the half moon cut at the bottom of the center board?
Have fun

Bob

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dustin,
I will have to look up the name and number of the place when I get home this weekend. It was down along the river behind one of the boat dealers. I go to a lot of different lakes but my favorite isn't in KY, it's in Arkansas, Greers Ferry Lake. If you need some help just let me know, I would be happy to assist. I sould be back home full time after the first of the year.
What's the half moon cut at the bottom of the center board?
Have fun
Bob
Bob

thanks let me know when you get the info, and im hoping to be done before the first of the year with all of the glass work but if not im sure i can use some help, and the half moon in the center of the transom is how im doing my drain like frisco did his with a threaded garboard and some pvc and do peanut butter around it to seal everything up around it as ive never been a fan of the expansion style plugs

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Dustin,
I will get the information for you, the one in Nashville is easy but Louisville I can't remember it off hand.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

That looks a lot better, cut into 3 pieces. Glass work isn't that hard, just practice on some scraps first to get the hang of it.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

spent the afternoon at home today instead of the shop so i spent some time cutting stringers etc. so here's where im at as of now, only major thing left to cut is the engine mounts which ill hopefully get done this weekend. Then just trim things up to fit a little better and then on to my last bit of grinding then back together it goes

dcd33139.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Very nice. I bet that piece of rust felt great in your eye.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wow nice progress!

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys and yea jay the piece was so small it wouldn't even show up in pictures hardly, but it felt like a 16 gauge nail in my eye but im 100% back to normal now and my buddys truck is done and back to him, well worth a brand new set of wheels for my truck lol

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Dustin,
To get the glass to lay over the top of the stringers and any outside corner just round over the edges. The glass will lay mush easier. Looks like you are making some major progress.
Nice work
Bob

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fine job on fitting the stringers and bulkheads .I know lot's have been giving you ideas on capping stringers, so I thought I would give you mine. I find if you take csm and rip it off from the roll ...break up the csm, because the binding materials make the csm so stiff and 1708 being so thick you will never get it to go over a 3/4 piece of plywood without air ( not saying you can't but it will probably start to set up before you get all the air out or get the spot fixed where there was no air when you left it). It is just to sharp an edge, so close together. All you want to do is seal the edge from moisture . You will find that with the csm ripped up it will add strength to the resin and will bend over the sides . You don't need a whole bunch either to add strength. Another option is my boat only had cleats on one stringer. I decided to add the cleats to each stringer, sealed them the same way I just mentioned and that way you are not compromising the seal in your stringer and seperating the laminates of your plywood when you screw the deck down. It is just a suggestion I found worked good.

Jack

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info, I plan to use a router and round off the tops of the stringers before i cap them

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

0a30279e.jpg

28ad7a4a.jpg

went ahead and threw the tank in to check for fitment, seems good and tight, and cut out all new wood for around the transom and swim platform etc. and my order from us composites should be here tomorrow, so ill hopefully get the transom pb'd in sometime this weekend

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looking good DJ,
Looks like you have been pretty busy with saw. LOL
I have to apoligize too, I did not get a chance to look for that local source for supplies either.
I know where he is just can't remember the name. I guess I'm getting Old.
Bob

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

went ahead and threw the tank in to check for fitment, seems good and tight, and cut out all new wood for around the transom and swim platform etc. and my order from us composites should be here tomorrow, so ill hopefully get the transom pb'd in sometime this weekend

Looks good make sure you give yourself enough room to put the tank in after you fiberglass. Depends how many layers you go with . I put csm on my wood first then added 2 layers of 1708. You can loose 3/8 of an inch pretty quick.
Jack

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's how I recommend glassing your stringers....

Click the Pic to Enlarge

34 Stringers.JPG

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys and no biggie bob just whenever you get a chance, my order should be in today from us composites but once that runs out it would be nice to buy local found the next round of whatever i might need