1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Cheetah 210es complete rebuild - project blood sweat & beers

Looks like you are making really good progress! Once you have it ground down, the fun part starts....putting her back together is always more fun than the tear down!

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, i hope its more fun going back together i would already be to that stage but i have way to many cars to get done at the shop to work on it during the week, and thats how im paying to redo this boat since my wife said im not allowed to touch our regular bank accounts for it, only all of my side job money etc. so ive been spending alot of time at the shop lately to get all of the money together for this

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and take measurements of the width of the hull just incase it flexes during the rebuild. You need to get the cap back on. Giving quantity of materials estimates is tricky but for sure, to start you'll need 10 gals of 435 laminating resin, a 1lb of Cabosil, 1/2 lb of chopped fibers, bubble buster roller, 10 yds of 1.5 oz CSM and 10 yds of 1708 biaxial cloth. I have attached some drawings that should help you visulaize your tasks. friscoboaters videos should take care of the rest.

Click the pics to enlarge

STRINGERS

34 Stringers.jpg

DECKS

Decks.jpg

TRANSOMS

TransomBuild.jpg

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure and take measurements of the width of the hull just incase it flexes during the rebuild. You need to get the cap back on. Giving quantity of materials estimates is tricky but for sure, to start you'll need 10 gals of 435 laminating resin, a 1lb of Cabosil, 1/2 lb of chopped fibers, bubble buster roller, 10 yds of 1.5 oz CSM and 10 yds of 1708 biaxial cloth. I have attached some drawings that should help you visulaize your tasks. friscoboaters videos should take care of the rest.

Click the pics to enlarge

STRINGERS

View attachment 113755

DECKS

View attachment 113754

TRANSOMS

View attachment 113756

thanks, ill order that much at first and go from there and i already had your drawings saved to my computer of how you do your layup etc. now to just figure out how to make the engine mounts. once i cut a bit more it looks like mine is about 7 pieces of 3/4 ply layered together, so i guess i will go the same route

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sounds about right, on the motor mounts. Keep looking at friscoboaters site. It is the Holy Grail on I/O restoration, and his videos are spot on when it comes to learning how to do things the RIGHT way.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, hopefully ill have time this weekend to go through his thread more thoroughly but man its a big one takes me like an hour a page but worth it

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

For sure that will get you started. You can look at doubling and some by the time you are done. 640 ounce for 5 gallons. most stringers are 8ft by at least 1 ft with tabbing. that is 8 sq feet. I mix my resin up at 3 liquid ounces per sq ft for 1.5 ounce csm and 1708. Alot of how to's say 3-4 onces, but I find 4 just way too much.This works for me because I hate needing a couple extra ounces on the end. If I have some left over I start something else. So 5 gallons will do about 4 stringers with a 1 ounce per sq ft of resin wet down . That is one wet out layer, one layer of csm then 2 layers of 1708 My stringers were 15 inches with tabbing so 5 gallons didn't go very far. It don't take long to eat up resin .

Also don't over catalyze because it will start to set up on you early and you will find you will end up with more micro bubbles then needed...give yourself time to work the layup:) You will also find if you use your bubble buster lightly but fast action back and forth , let it do the work after getting rid of the bubbles etc it will bring the resin to the top. Don't use your bubble buster with alot of down force.That actually pushes away the resin and you end up with a dry spot. Play with it you will see the sweet spot :)

Good Luck
Cheers Jack

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info, looks like ill be going to pick up the marine ply tomorrow as long as the weather holds off, so i can start cutting everything out and get it ready to go back together

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

finally went and picked up the marine plywood today starting with 7 sheets hopefully its enough cause its about 30 miles round trip to an area i dont care much for, also stopped and got the ply we will need for the interior were just using bc exterior for that

b4db1a41.jpg

9eda7621.jpg

2198eb46.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

looks like you have a pretty good chunk of money stacked up against the wall! They are proud of it, but it is nice to work with. If you can, stacking it on the floor with a few 2xs under it will help to keep it "flat". If it leans up against the wall too long it will get a belly in it.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes their proud of it for sure and currently i cant get it on the ground, but im trying to make templates and cut everything within the next week or two then i will be able to put everything on the floor on some 2x4's

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

finally got a little bit of work done today now onto a few questions as you can see in one of the pictures below you will see how the fiberglass transom skin is not flat, how do i make the wood conform to it? because as we all know 3/4 ply doesn't flex that much, also one of the other pics you will see a whole in the transom one big hole in the center and 2 smaller holes on the outside of the bigger one any clue what it is for? its not for the speedo so i need to know to fill the holes in or not? and the other hole in the redish paint is from snaps for a cover we're wanting to fill in and do a different style cover so what should i use in the small snap holes marinetex?

929af14d.jpg

transom wood cut

7f09cc56.jpg

this is the small snap hole

13ec83fc.jpg

the transom hole im unsure about?

9f52d3ba.jpg

the transom gap, its about an inch in the center

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

as you can see in one of the pictures below you will see how the fiberglass transom skin is not flat, how do i make the wood conform to it? because as we all know 3/4 ply doesn't flex that much,

Pretty sure that was a 3 piece transom, and you're going to have to make it that way again. Looks like the 3 surfaces are flat, but are at an angle to each other.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what i was thinking but ive never seen any rebuilds on here where they have had to do it in 3 pieces, but thats the only way i can make it do that contour

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Yeah I agree. The hole looks like a through hull fitting, a drain or maybe for a live well?

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Under the unknown hole i can see where a line and sensor ran down then today I remembered it had a fish finder at one time so I'm guessing it's from that? Also made a few runs today and picked up a garboard drain, spoon for filets, and found a deal on carpet for bunks when I'm ready for that.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been super busy this week but today I was finally able to clean up and reorganize the garage so i could fit the boat in before going to the immediate care center to have my eye checked out (had some metal get in there last night while drilling on a truck frame) but the boat is now inside out of the weather since its started to cool off here. and hopefully this week ill be ordering at least my first batch of supplies and get going on things possibly this coming weekend hopefully.

e6901742.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

That transom gap is weird, but I think the only real way to do it in three pieces. Looks good bro.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea i will probably cut it into three pieces sometime today and lay it in and get it fitting right, also i sent you a pm last week about cutting stringers in the boat not sure if you got it or not?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Dustin,
Nice looking project.
As for the materials like poly resin, MEKP, and CSM you have some options that are a lot closer to home and less cost. I have been absent from this forum for about 10 months or so but I'm sure the sources are still there. One is on the North side of Nashville and the other in Louisville. I was getting the resin for $20 a gallon. I live just south of you so if you need some help sometime I'd be glad to.
Take care and have fun.
Bob