1988 Glastron X19-S rebuild

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased back a Glastron X-19S (3.0 Mercruiser-Mercruiser outdrive) I never wanted to give up. The people who had it the last 7 years left it uncovered and exposed to everything. Interior was destroyed. This boat was in great shape when it left me in 2008 and its current state crushed me. I have pulled 85% of the interior out down to the stingers. I plan on building it back as a 80% fishing/ 20% ski boat. Pics to follow and any advice/ideas are welcome.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know why I can't upload pics from my iPhone? It says the file is too big. They are just standard photos

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've had better luck using a photo hosting site like photobucket for loading pics. The iboats image uploader is a bit tricky to use. You can upload your images from your phone using the app potobucket has and then copy the image's url file and post it here. It is usually sized correctly, and large enough to show up good in your posts. Here is a pic of our Starcraft for example.

Sorry to hear the people you sold your boat to didn't take good care of her. Most people don't know or care how they should store a boat. I tell people all the time boats are meant to be in the water, not be full of water.

By the way :welcome: to the best place on the web for everything boating. Looking forward to pics, and you've come to the best place for advice on getting your boat back in shape.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Snowman, you have to have a minimum number of posts (not sure what the number is...Maybe 5:noidea:)before you can upload pics to the forum from your phone or PC. But if you load em from Photobucket you can do it immediately once you join the forum.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is my boat. Needs buffed and cleaned up some on the exterior to remove oxidation.

Attachments

• photo232597.png
    photo232597.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is the setup I am going to build my boat after. T-top cover for shade and this interior setup allowing for more room inside but still have the ability to play with the family after a morning of fishing.

Attachments

• photo232598.jpeg
    photo232598.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232599.jpg
    photo232599.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This was the interior the night I brought home the boat. Made me sick to my stomach because the boat was in great shape when it left me in 2008. Oh well, I now have my boat back and plan on making it better than ever.

Attachments

• photo232600.png
    photo232600.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The bow of the boat wasn't in as bad of condition mainly because there is less to rot up there. I have already gutted the interior up to the consoles. I plan on making the bow one big storage area for caught fish underneath a fibergalss casting deck. I plan on building custom pedestals for the seats to allow storage under one and a large livewell under the drivers seat.

Attachments

• photo232601.png
    photo232601.png
    910.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo232602.png
    photo232602.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • photo232603.png
    photo232603.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I definitely have my work cut out for me as I am rebuilding the entire boat, engine and drive also. However, I always enjoyed this boat, and it was very steady on the water. I plan on using the boat for general fishing, including striper and catfishing on area Oklahoma lakes. Also plan on taking it to the gulf coast and fishing for reds and sharks as well. Inner coastal bay areas mainly unless the water is very, very calm then I'll go hit jetties in the open water.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I am not an artist, but this is the t-top frame I am designing. I want it to follow the same lines as the windshield frame but only have one upright on each side of the boat. I plan on using 2" square tubing instead of round tubing like most frames are made from. I plan on installing six rod holder on the rear along with a tow rope mount. I went on a charter fishing trip this past weekend and the boat I was on had a Texas flag for the top. This gave me the idea of putting the USA Flag on mine. You can never go wrong with Old Glory on your boat.

Attachments

• photo232604.png
    photo232604.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'll be following this thread closely. I'll let you make the mistakes before I get the chance on mine ;)

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
haha...no mistakes are planned at this time. I have all winter to build. I have done all of the work before on other boats just not on my own boat. The biggest thing about rebuilding these boats is to take your time. If you aren't sure, ask questions of someone who has done it. Glass and engine work is easy. All of the interior floor will be glassed and topped with bedliner. If you take your time, it's a fairly easy task with the pleasure of saying you rebuilt the boat.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mike, do you have any photos of your boat? I always like seeing these boats.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I have been pretty busy. I pulled the motor out of the boat on Wednesday morning. Removed the head and oil pan and found the engine had a very small amount of surface rust in a few places but nothing a hot vat wont fix. After engine was removed, I inspected the transom better. I found a small hole in the bilge pump hose that had sprayed on the transom and caused about a 6x6 weak spot. The rotten area was inspected using a screwdriver and while pushing on the wood it only penetrated about 1/2" deep. I cut that area out bigger than the bad area and installed a new piece of 3/4" plywood. Using liquid nails for a better bond, I screwed the new piece of wood in place. Once the glue cured, I glassed over the top for extra strength.

Once the transom was done, I installed my new trailer lights and wired up to work with my truck (had no working lights before.)

I also cut a piece of plywood to fit the bow of the boat. I cut out the access doors for the livewell, fish box and anchor box. I got started glassing the main piece of the bow deck and let it setup overnight. Over the next few days, I will continue glassing the main piece along with the doors. All of the doors will be installed using stainless steel hinges and latches.

I plan on sanding the bow deck down and covering with white Durabak 18.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo233052.png
    photo233052.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • photo233053.png
    photo233053.png
  • photo233054.png
    photo233054.png

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo233055.png
    photo233055.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • photo233056.png
    photo233056.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

So, after careful thought and decision making, along with talking to a few people who do this daily, I tackled removing the transom yesterday. I removed the rotten transom completely and also the back 6 inches of the stingers. I also removed the water logged foam and the boxes it was poured into. The removal was not hard at all only time consuming.

A little tip on removal of the rotten wood-Using a small Ryobi or Dewalt skil saw, set the blade at 1/2" deep and cut 4" squares in the wood surface. Next use a chisel and work from the hole out. I removed chunks at a time this way and had the entire transom removed in less than three hours. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT CUT INTO THE MAIN HULL OF THE BOAT AKA FIBERGLASS. Take your time and it comes out easy.

I plan on cutting the new wood tonight and sandwich the two boards together this evening. I will leave them under weight for approximately 4 days to ensure they bond together properly. While I am waiting on that to cure, I will begin removing the stingers and prepping the new ones for installation.

Attachments

• photo233301.PNG
    photo233301.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • photo233302.PNG
    photo233302.PNG