1987 125 Force Dies when shifting into gear

FMG

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1987 Bayliner Bowrider equipped with a Force 125. The motor runs great. My problem is when you shift into forward or reverse the motor dies. Per the motor manual I have I adjusted the carb syncronization and today took it out and adjusted the idle the suggested 1 and 1/4 turns out on each carb. It still dies upon engagement. Can anyone help me or do I have to bite the bullet and put it in the shop:(<br />Thanks,<br />FMG

gotzoom

Cadet
Re: 1987 125 Force Dies when shifting into gear

Welcome to the forums! I had the same problem with my 89 force(85HP). I was told to replace the primer bulb as the needle inside of them goes bad thus allowing fuel to return and then floods itself out. I replaced the bulb and its been cool runnin since. I have also seen on the forums that the diaphragm inside the fuel filter could also be bad causing the same problems. Bulbs are cheap ($5-$6.00) and i think the fuel pump rebuild kit is around $15-$20. Good Luck!

buddyle

Cadet

hello...<br />i have same problem here with my 89 bayliner with 85 hp...could you email me the link/site where you order them bulb and needles? my email is Buddyle2002@hotmail.com...thank you so much.

gotzoom

Cadet

You can check here on iboats, any wal mart or kmart also sells them. The primer bulbs are pretty universal.

FMG

Cadet

I changed the primer bulb and spark plugs and then took the boat out this weekend. The problem persists. Does anyone else have any ideas why my 1987 Force 125 dies when you shift it into gear? Once you get it to go it runs strong.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Rebuild the fuel pump first then the carbs. The fuel pump is easy and cheap. The carbs are pretty cheap and a bit more complicated. If you do the carbs you will see a welsh plug that covers three tiny holes in the same area as the mixture adjustment screw. Make sure you clean that area real good. It is the most likely spot for idleing issues. Would not hurt for you to do a spark test and compression test first. It could also be a dead cylinder but it sounds more fuel related on your post.

Kevincem

Cadet

FMG- Were you able to fix your problem?

My 1988 Force 125 is having the same problem. I have cleaned and adjusted the carbs, done a compression check and spark test and everything looks good. I am going to order a fuel pump rebuild kit as soon as I can find one.

FMG

Cadet

Kevincem said:

My 1988 Force 125 is having the same problem. I have cleaned and adjusted the carbs, done a compression check and spark test and everything looks good. I am going to order a fuel pump rebuild kit as soon as I can find one.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Did ya try turning the idle up (and use the right adjustment screw) ?

FMG

Cadet

FMG said:
Kevincem said:

FMG

Cadet

I rebuilt the carbs and now have caused an additional problem. The motor cuts out after approximately 20 seconds of acceleration. It never reaches top speed before it bogs and then dies. Acts like it is flooding, upon restart it does the same, revs to certain point and then dies. If I keep it around 20 to 25 or under runs pretty good. I was wondering if one of the floats is causing the problem? New plugs, primer bilb, fuel pump kit (it was nasty dirty inside where screen is), carb rebuild kits still wants to die when shifting into gear. Any ideas out there?

FMG

Cadet

I neglected to mention that the engine also will no longer rev in neutral. The linkage looks like it is moving, but it only revs a tiny bit. Thanks for any help.
FMG

MJEFFERS

Cadet

Hello, I'm pretty new to iboats, and have recently purchased an 88 cuddy with a 125 force. It dies when I shift into gear also. Have you made any headway with your running problems that you can share. I would really appreciate any help you can offer, Thanks, Mike(thejeffersgang@yahoo.com)