1986 ss 201

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 ss 201

Good for you Glen, glad the plywood came out easy...after all the shovelling you did on the foam removal you deserved a break. The transom looks great too.

dozerII

Admiral

Well dood, glad it was an easy go for ya!:D (I spilled a little blood getting mine out)

Hey, transom looks great:)

Looking really good glen. Glad it was "cake" getting the lumber out! Transom looks strong and ready to roll.

Jim

Good for you Glen, glad the plywood came out easy...after all the shovelling you did on the foam removal you deserved a break. The transom looks great too.

Thanks Guys, Not much done latley work is back to being in the way!!. I did get the new blocks built for the motor mounts and two coats of varnish on them. Hoping to get the hull cleaned out tomorrow, so I can put down the gluvit.
Glen

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dozer

Your work amazes me. I like everything about the job you do on these boats. I am not an IO fan but I have a feeling you're going to amaze me with your build. Cheering you on from down here in Southern NJ.

PS. I am told a lot of Canadians Vacation here... That true for your area?

dozerII

Admiral

Dozer

Your work amazes me. I like everything about the job you do on these boats. I am not an IO fan but I have a feeling you're going to amaze me with your build. Cheering you on from down here in Southern NJ.

PS. I am told a lot of Canadians Vacation here... That true for your area?

Holy Cow, thanks a bunch DH, I/O are the cats meow, once you figure them out they are pretty easy to work on. They just seam real intimidating at first.

The Canadians that are traveling to your area are more than likely from Quebec and Ontario. most around here go to Vegas or Mexico.
Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Got done work a little early yesterday, so had at that mungy yellow stuff on the bottom. Four hours on my hands and knees with a paint brush, scaper, wire brush and a jug of aircraft stripper, then an hour on the presuure washer and this is as good as it gets.

mung001.jpg

mung002.jpg

Big boat reguire big containers of Gluvit, almost broke the bank at Canadian prices

mung003.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to do the same thing and I am not looking forward to the removal of that glue... The carpet came off soooo easy but that glue remains. :rolleyes: I can only hope when I apply the new carpet on my boat it stays on better than what was there originally. hah

Whats your technique for the application of gluvit? Any tricks I should know?
I like the sign. Caution/Attention then tiny letters poison. haha

dozerII

Admiral

Hey DH, Aircraft paint stripper takes the glue off real well, then the pressure washer, let it dry over night and apply the gluvit with a paint brush. There is no way this one is going to leak I used all but a half an inch in the bottom of the gallon.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice!

Can't wait until it's done. I saw the rough in spots where the consoles will be but I am curious where you'll place your seating and what type.

Seeing all of these builds makes me want to work 24/7 on mine. I'm almost in a stand by period until my epoxy, and noodles get here... That and the next pay check :D

dozerII

Admiral

Hey DH, The consuls are in the factory spots they are structualy riveted through the gunwals and sides of the hull, so I have not removed them. I will be putting in four pedestal seats, there will be seating in the bow for two as I will use the same design in that area as the Naked lady and my other 18'. I'm still working on the design for the seating arrangement by the motor cover.
Waiting for parts and working to pay for them is a pain in the butt.;)
Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Okay so here is the progress from the weekend.
The old and the new for motor mounts, previously had p/t 2/6 chunks between the mounts and the stringers.

Backin001.jpg

All the gluit is down and the transom is in, bolted and sealed up.

Backin002.jpg

Backin004.jpg

Backin003.jpg

Have great Sunday

Glen

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will bWaiting for parts and working to pay for them is a pain in the butt.;)
Glen

Especially when the Admiral is watching the budget. How did you get the Gluvit past her? :confused:

That transom looks too good to cover up, DII. Nice!

InMotion

Commander

Looking super sharp Glen!!! Really nice job.... no doubt that will be strong and rot resistant for many, many years! Glad you were able to ummmmm "convince" the Admiral of the merits of Gluvit at pre-summer vs post summer.... it really is adictive once you are rolling. :D. I'll be surprised if you can "resist" the temptation all summer to not touch and not work on her!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work on the transom Glen, looks solid from here.:D

Those extra "rib tabs" near the waterline add some serious rigidity I'll bet.

Love the small differences between the small Starcrafts and the big ones.

Your description of maintenance on I/O's above^ has me reconsidering buying a Iron Duke Islander.

Keep up the good work!:)

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom looks great glen. Know what you mean about working for parts. The admiral has put a hold on my boat spending until the end of the month.:eek:

dozerII

Admiral

Transom looks great Glen!

Thanks Jason

Especially when the Admiral is watching the budget. How did you get the Gluvit past her? :confused:

That transom looks too good to cover up, DII. Nice!

Thanks GA, well you see I work in the oil fields up here and when it rains the roads turn to cr#$$%p and they won't let us go on them, and it has been raining for over a month. I think after the first week of me sitting around the house driving the Admiral nuts, she said go work on the boat. :D

Looking super sharp Glen!!! Really nice job.... no doubt that will be strong and rot resistant for many, many years! Glad you were able to ummmmm "convince" the Admiral of the merits of Gluvit at pre-summer vs post summer.... it really is adictive once you are rolling. :D. I'll be surprised if you can "resist" the temptation all summer to not touch and not work on her!!!

Thanks Jim, ya I will not be able to leave it alone, you know how it is when they start going back together!!

That's some good looking transom work there

Thanks CBK

Nice work on the transom Glen, looks solid from here.:D

Those extra "rib tabs" near the waterline add some serious rigidity I'll bet.

Love the small differences between the small Starcrafts and the big ones.

Your description of maintenance on I/O's above^ has me reconsidering buying a Iron Duke Islander.

Keep up the good work!:)

Hey HA thanks for stopping by. I thought they started adding those tabs in the early 80's on all the SS's but I guess not, I just commented on Dirty HAtties thread about the monster crack in his splash rail because they were not installed on his.
As far as I/Os go other than the bellows install they are as easy to work on as a 70's car. I was pretty worried when I bought the 72, but not anymore. There are so many knowledgable people on here to talk you through what the free manuals can't.

The transom looks great glen. Know what you mean about working for parts. The admiral has put a hold on my boat spending until the end of the month.:eek:

Hey Stephen, ya it's that hole in the water you throw money in, make you wonder if you will ever fill it!!!!

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to see your progress, Glen. I sympathize on the wet weather, we are getting more than our share of the liquid sunshine here on the coast of BC.
There seems to be a lot more room in your 18 footer than our 16 ft...I could be a tad bit jealous. Oh wait a minute is this what folks call 2 footalitus?
Rusty

barato2

Commander

make you wonder if you will ever fill it!!!!
and if you do get too close, another boat appears that needs a home.....

Rusty,i'd check with your girlfriend on whether she wats to sew up another set of sidecurtains etc before you go for an 18'!

dozerII

Admiral

Good to see your progress, Glen. I sympathize on the wet weather, we are getting more than our share of the liquid sunshine here on the coast of BC.
There seems to be a lot more room in your 18 footer than our 16 ft...I could be a tad bit jealous. Oh wait a minute is this what folks call 2 footalitus?
Rusty

Rusty, as I'm typing this the rain is still coming down on the window next to the computer. This boat would be four foot itis cus it's a 20 foot, the 18 is the 1972 in my avatar

make you wonder if you will ever fill it!!!!
and if you do get too close, another boat appears that needs a home.....

You have that right B2, but a guys gotta have a project to work on right??

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.