1984 J150 GT VRO wont start only hiccup

basscat348

Seaman
I believe the motor is a 84.When cranking the motor over to start it fires 1 time with a big hiccup.I am trying to start this engine in a big tub filled with water and when the motor hiccup's its like a huge amount of air being released. I have just went through the carbs and they are nice and clean.The fuel is good.I have spark on all plugs.I am thinking its a spark advance problem but I am not sure, I dont have a book on it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 J150 GT VRO wont start only hiccup

start at the beginning, check compression, and spark on each cylinder. did you remove all the jets and clean them, did you replace fuel lines. you cards are not adjustable, but there is other good info here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

basscat348

Seaman

I have 92 lbs on all cylinders.I removed all jets from carbs placed everything in an ultrasonic parts cleaner for awhile with xylene,there spotless.All the hoses are newer.I just checked the timing and its between 16-12 on # 2 cylinder,it says it's supposed to be 28 but am not totally sure because I dont have a book on it.How do you change the timing on this motor?

basscat348

Seaman

I adjusted the timing the way this article says and still nothing.:rolleyes:

for Johnson/Evinrude

Joe
------------------
(Timing At Cranking Speed 4?)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperature.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4? less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28?, set the timing at 24?. The reasoning for the 4? difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4?.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4? which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

members and guest, all need to support iboats marine store when ever possible. you get, competitive prices. fast shipping, top notch customer

jonesg

Admiral

I have 92 lbs on all cylinders.I removed all jets from carbs placed everything in an ultrasonic parts cleaner for awhile with xylene,there spotless.All the hoses are newer.I just checked the timing and its between 16-12 on # 2 cylinder,it says it's supposed to be 28 but am not totally sure because I dont have a book on it.How do you change the timing on this motor?

What is the history of this motor, did it ever run?
Carb jets have different sizes , did you keep track?
Do the plugs get wet with fuel when trying to start?
What size gap did you use when spark testing, you cannot use a sparkplug for a spark test.

basscat348

Seaman

I dont know any history of this motor.Customer says it just quit running but i believe it has not ran in at least a year.I have alot of experiance with engines that have sat a year or more and this one is not those problem's.I can get the engine to backfire and thats it.I really think its a timiming issue but tryed the steps to adjust it and then it wont even backfire.The plugs get some fuel but not alot.I tryed spraying gas into the carbs just to make sure it wasnt getting any fuel but that does not help either.I have the timing set at 24 degrees it says between 34 and 28 and the timing steps says to put it at 4 degrees below.I did not use a spark plug for the gap.I used a spark plug tester and rigged it against the block at about the specified width.

jonesg

Admiral

OK sounds like you did everything correct, might be worth checking for a sheared flywheel key, that would throw timing off .

basscat348

Seaman

Yes that was my next thought also. I going to give that a tryin the morning and I hope that is it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Max timing should be the higher figure (28) or whatever is noted on the airbox cover. The idle timing will be around 4 to 6 degrees. When starting, normally the throttle advance lever is lifted and the idle timing will increase slightly by a few degrees. In any event, it is unlikely that it will start properly/easily at 16 degrees advance. Good idea to check that flywheel key.

basscat348

Seaman

Ok so I pulled the flywheel this morning to find no flywheel key,it looks like there never was one and there is no place to put one either.Is it just supposed to torqued down with the # 1 piston at tdc or something along those lines?

basscat348

Seaman

So upon further examination I do see a key that's sheard off on the flywheel,I was looking at the crankshaft.OK now that we have found the problem where do I find this key at ?

jonesg

Admiral

Good catch, try here on iBoats for parts.
I find it easier to call the 800 number, they are very good at finding parts asap. If they sell them.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The Bombardier part number for the key is 307480. You may want to lap the flywheel when you go to reinstall it, then torque to 140-145 ft lbs.