1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Not to criticize, and not to suggest your stand ain't stout. But I think you shoulda made it mobile. Seems to me you've limited yourself, access wise, when yer workin' on the motor. Also robbed yourself of, at least in my case, valuable wall & future counter/bench space?

Regardless it's good to see ya gettin after it.

Ya ... always remember to install/remove the steering rod at the same time you take the motor on or off. If'n ya fergit you'll be really pissed ...

Fwiw, imo that's a hull worth saving. The HPV (High Performance Vee) was designed for Glastron by Mel Whitley, who also designed the much imitated SSV (Super Stable Vee). Set up right with a light load it oughta run in the mid to upper 50's.

Carry on.

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey there V153. Yeah I know what you mean about wall space. But once the project is done, the stand will be disassembled and stored. I weighed back and forth quite a bit on the caster style stand for accessibility purposes too but decided that I would just build it with enough space to get behind it plus keep it close enough to the workbench so I dont have crap scattered everywhere.
I actually have better access to every part of the motor now then when it was on the boat. Thanks for the info on the hull too. I suspect it is gonna be waterlogged if the rest of the structure and foam are anything like the transom and small peice of the sole that I have looked at.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I spent a few hours today getting the boat stripped out and ready to pull the cap. I stripped out the bilge compartment, controls, steering, wiring, hatches and seats. All of the wiring and steerin should hopefully lift off with the cap, then I can spend some time working the guage panel and building new wiring harnesses.
I left most of the carpet in for tonight and will think about wether I will do that before or after I pull the cap. I also left the metal strip that holds the cap onto the hull. I figured I wont pull that untill I know for sure that I haven't missed a step somewhere. That's where I could use some help. Is there anything else that needs to be done structurally before I push on? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

20131024_203204.jpg20131024_203237.jpg20131024_203312.jpg20131024_203355.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I guess not. I dont know what happened on that one. It posted twice wth no pics. Heres another shot at it.

20131024_203444.jpg20131024_203529.jpg20131024_203618.jpg20131024_203746.jpg20131024_203949.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I got after it today for a few more hours after spending most of the day running around with the wife and kids. I decided it was time to just go ahead and remove the metal strips that hold the cap to the hull and cut through the transom on the top back edge and I could see through the cracks where the cap has been fastened to the top of the transom.
After removing the rails and cutting through the transom with my roto zip saw, I used a 2?4 to push the cap up enough to jam a board underneath of it and used that same method working my way toward the stern.
It was all working out pretty well until I got about 3/4 of the way back. At this point it wouldn't budge any further.

20131025_200414.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

At this point I reached up underneath ouf the splashwell through one of the bilge compartment access holes to discover the very back area of the splashwell to be securely attached to the transom from top to bottom and on both sides as well.
So, I figured at this point it was time for some more cutting. I used some blue, flexible, fine-line tape and marked the area just forward of where the splashwell was tabbed to the transom and some foam filled box structures inside of the bilge compartment.

20131025_200313.jpg20131025_200632.jpg20131025_200844.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

After marking the cut area, I used the roto zip saw to cut the bottom of the splashwell from side to side as far as the circular attachment would allow. I then converted it over to the zip router and cut across the drain hole indentions, through the corners then up the sides and back.
I then placed a small jack with a board on top of it down inside of the bilge compartment and jacked it up untill the board came into contact with a the forward edge of the splashwell and just like that, she broke loose.
I then placed a few more boards underneath of the stern area of the cap and released the pressure from the jack. Now I just need to build an a frame system to lift the cap up a few more feet, drive the hull out on the trailer and then lower it down on top of some work horses.
Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'll see where tomorrow takes me. Thanks as usual to everyone!

20131025_215554.jpg20131025_215725.jpg20131025_215645.jpg20131025_215839.jpg

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am by no means an expert or want you to think I am second guessing you. Since I wil be doing my boat soon - I am just wondering. Let me assume that the cut you made across the splashwell, port to starboard was made with the blade facing down in the bottom of the splashwell, blade in a vertical position. My question is why not cut across the top of the transom between the upper edge of the transom and the rear of the splashwell? This would seem to allow for the splashwell tub to stay intact. For my own information, do you, or anyone else reading your thread, think it would have been possible to use a "high speed" grinder across the top of the transom and ground off the top rear of the splashwell where it was bonded to the transom? Would seem to allow an easier "patching" job later.

BTW, I am enjoying following your thread and it looks good so far.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

That's a geat question. I wish I could have lifted the cap in that exact manner. But after cutting through the back upper edge of the transom hoping it would let loose, I discovered that the entire back end of the splashwell had been glued or resined to the transom and tabbed in all the way around from inside of the bilge compartment.
I also thought about cutting the entire top edge of the transom off and then using a long sawsall blade to separate the cap. But here's where my overthinking sets in. Where the upper motor mount bolts have warped the glass because of rotten inner structure, I am going to lay up an entire new rear splashwell. I figured by not hacking or breaking the splashwell to pieces in order to remove it, I could then access it better once the cap is off to remove it somewhat intact. That way I will hopefully have the original shape for the purpose of building a mold.
I also at one point had an idea of molding in upper transom supports that would extend from the upper rear splashwell area forward through and underneath of the rear casting deck attaching to another brace that runs from one side of the hull to the other just behind the livewells. All for the purpose of reinforcing the upper end of the transom to allow for more torque resistance or create less room for flex under horse power.
I spent most of the day today cleaning the yard for winter and clearing garage space so that I can build some sort of lift for the cap. I plan tomorrow to go pick up some lumber and get that lift device built at least. Once I get the cap pulled and dropped, I will get some better pics of that rear spashwell so maybe you can see what im trying to explain.
There could definitely had been a better way to go about it, but this is the first time I've ever worked a boat let alone owned one, so this is all completely unexplored territory for me if you know what I mean. I guess that's also what makes it such a great thing to be doing as well.
Thanks for following along and sharing with me on it!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I understand now. I didn't understand the situation of the splashwell being actually bonded to the transom along the back side. I hope that mine isn't like that since I hate to make more work than necessary. I haven't started on mine yet, need to run it on the water one more time and run as much fuel out of it as possible. Still have some warm weather here, so will do it shortly. I have looked over the transom and splashwell on mine, and believe I might be able to cut it from the backside...but, we will see. I have subscribed to your thread and will be watching. :behindsofa:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey thanks daniel1947! I hope yours turns out to be a smooth restore as well. I'm also happy for you that your weather is holding out for some more boating. I think I put mine up a few weeks too early but I guess I was just a bit over eager to get moving on my project. You should post some pics of your boat on this thread so I can check it out.
Anyhow, today I went to the depot and picked up some more building supplies and got started with my cap hoist system. Its kind of weird but im hoping that it will serve it's purpose for the limited space that I have inside of my garage. I have to build the front portion wider than the back so that I can drive my boat hull out of the garage wthout hitting the steps and doorway yet leave the cap close enough to the wall so that I can back the trailer and boat hull back inside and next to it after I lower the cap onto some horses and disassemble the hoist.
It's gonna be a cramped working space this winter but I should have enough space to build the necessary parts that I will need up in front of the hull and cap and have the area close enough to the door for ventilation. I got kind of a late start on the actual construction side of things after getting the materials and finally deciding on a plan of action.
So here's kind of where im going with this...
I found some pre-made work horse brackets that are hinged and have 2 small teeth on both sides so that when you attach the leg portion of the stand and open the legs outward, the teeth clamp and bite into the cross section. I figured that I would use this to build the uprights.

20131027_163520.jpg20131027_163417.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I then cut the legs down to the height that would fit for the space I have and hopefully maintain enough room to lift with. Next I built some small cross members and fastened them in between the legs toward the top to keep help stabilize the upper brackets from shearing inward under a load and also to help prevent over spreading under load.
After that step, I cut some angled supports and installed them on an angle from the cross member up to the cross beam to help(hopefully) support the weight of the cap.

20131027_193211.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd take the steering wheel assembly & windscreen off before lifting the cap if you can, the less weigh the better. Or fully support the cap around the console.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Next, I cut and installed some boards at the bottom to both act as feet and to help stabilize the legs at the bottom of the uprights from further spread under the weight of the cap.
After that I kind of ran out of juice with it for the night and have to think a bit about how I want to stabilize the hoist for sideways failure. Im pretty sure I will just hard mount them right to the wall to help keep them from swaying to the side while lifting the cap. Then I will need to build a frame in between the cap and hull so I can lift it up without snapping the cap into halfs under it's own weight.
I guess at this point, the only way to know for sure if it will work with this strangely designed cap, where most of its weight are in the very front and the very back, will be to just try it.
After all, there's no turning back now, ha!

20131027_193147.jpg20131027_193129.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ah, you caught me in between post jbcurt00. I had thought about removing the steering wheel and windscreen first. Maybe I will now. I agree with you 100 percent about the weight issue. Thank you!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah, jbcurt00. I just noticed that you honor your pup in every post. I think it's great that you have it set up to do that! I wish I could do the same without feeling like I robbed something from you. I just lost my "good, good boy" 3 days ago. He chose me in the year 2000 and just finally couldn't make it any longer.

In honor of our best, good boy "Zeke", 9/2000~10/2013.

Copy of 20131017_154622.jpg

Attachments

• 20131017_154833.jpg
    20131017_154833.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, I haven't had a dog for going on 15 years or so....Last one was a Siberian Husky...got her for the kids, but she ended up as "my dog." When she died it was like losing one of my kids...kids cried, ex-wife cried...yeah, me too. LOL, I said, ain't going to be anymore dogs, ain't going through this again, lol so I got a girl friend now.

Second, I sure wish I had the room in the garage that you have. Mine is 20 feet deep by 18 feet wide, 8 foot ceiling. Will have to have the boat off the trailer to work on it as the door won't close with the trailer in the garage. There are a number of great plans for making a cradle on the forum, and I have a few of my own.

Third, I think that your "A" frames will support the cap's weight after you have removed as much hardware as possible. From what I have read here, most of these caps on our 18 foot plus or minus, are around 400 pounds, and you have crossed braced the horizontal so I don't think it will sway any, but then again...why take a chance...I don't think you want to hear a "crash" in the middle of the night.:facepalm:

Things are looking good,