1981 18 SS

dozerII

Admiral
You know I have a Lone*Star that needs to be stripped, any room in the hanger?:D:lol:

Bring her on up 64, we'll make room, heck it only takes 10 hours to strip it you won't even have to plug your pick-up in:D

dozerII

Admiral
Nice cleanup there Glen!! Looking "cool" man!!! :laugh::cool:

Some how I think that it is going to be quite difficult to resist not doing a full restore this winter/spring!!!:eek: I know I would be very tempted to get at it!

Take care and stay warm!

Jim

Thanks Jim, actually it will be easy to resist, cuz it's not mine, plus I have lots to do anyhow. I still want to get the trailer done under the Holiday as well. Staying warm is no problem we have a very warm low pressure that moved in yesterday, +8-9 all week, it's turning all our good frozen roads to muck.

64osby

Admiral
Bring her on up 64, we'll make room, heck it only takes 10 hours to strip it you won't even have to plug your pick-up in:D

I'd love to. The 24 hours plus of drive time one way and fuel expense are telling me it's not the best idea.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Man you make it look waaay to easy!

My chief had some super paint or something, just these blotches that refused to separate from the aluminum, resulting in some scratches in the removal.

After 3 long polishing runs I decided it was close enough :lol:

My local paint store sold me some DX533 (PPG brand) aluminum cleaner to use before painting, also used it to clean up the bare sides.
The stuff worked great, it really cleaned the aluminum up, however I found that you really want to wipe it down after a rinse, prevents tiger stripes :lol:

I also found that all of my aluminum pieces benefited from a rinse with the stuff, it really got everything the same uniform bright whiteish color. :cool:.

On the Nova I plan on rinsing the inside with the stuff before I gluvit it, it did a billion times better job than the almost pure vinegar I used on the chief.

dozerII

Admiral
Man you make it look waaay to easy!

My chief had some super paint or something, just these blotches that refused to separate from the aluminum, resulting in some scratches in the removal.

After 3 long polishing runs I decided it was close enough :lol:

My local paint store sold me some DX533 (PPG brand) aluminum cleaner to use before painting, also used it to clean up the bare sides.
The stuff worked great, it really cleaned the aluminum up, however I found that you really want to wipe it down after a rinse, prevents tiger stripes :lol:

I also found that all of my aluminum pieces benefited from a rinse with the stuff, it really got everything the same uniform bright whiteish color. :cool:.

On the Nova I plan on rinsing the inside with the stuff before I gluvit it, it did a billion times better job than the almost pure vinegar I used on the chief.

Real good info Chris, I'm going to see if I can pick up the DX533 Darcy's Admiral works at an autobody supply shop.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use JJV's Best AL cleaner and yeah that stuff turns the AL almost white. Seeing how foamy and soapy looking the stuff is I would still wipe the AL down with vinegar before any painting.

dozerII

Admiral
I use JJV's Best AL cleaner and yeah that stuff turns the AL almost white. Seeing how foamy and soapy looking the stuff is I would still wipe the AL down with vinegar before any painting.

Thanks for the info too H20.

dozerII

Admiral
Darcy, arrived from Alberta last night with his new too him slightly used EZloader trailer. Todays job is convert it to bunks and transfer the SS from my old trailer to the new one, hoping to get a video of that process.

dozerII

Admiral
The center keel bunk mounts were added and the stock roller mounts were moved out to the sides for the side bunks.

The leveling screws on the outer bunks

The bunks

Darcy putting carpet on the bunks.

1/4"carrage bolts installed in the bunks prior to carpet

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Very nice work on the EZ loader, which btw are made here in WA State in Spokane. Hey I've seen that tongue drop slide over technique before :D only when I did it the boat was just an empty hull, I'm glad to see it works even with all the weight of the rigged out boat. :thumb:

Pneumatic stapler! I have an electric one but after seeing yours I'm a bit envious.

dozerII

Admiral
Nice trailer work.

Thank Willy

Very nice work on the EZ loader, which btw are made here in WA State in Spokane. Hey I've seen that tongue drop slide over technique before :D only when I did it the boat was just an empty hull, I'm glad to see it works even with all the weight of the rigged out boat. :thumb:

Pneumatic stapler! I have an electric one but after seeing yours I'm a bit envious.

Thanks H20, that Stapler is a Passlode upholstery one from Home Depot, they had them on sale for $79.00 a couple of years ago. It works great for carpet but I can't get it to slow down and quit blowing the staple right through good upholstery vinyl.