1981 18 SS

dozerII

Admiral
I had a feeling you would be getting at it sooner than later! Nice work man.... that's the way the safe strip should work! No black fluff and dust in the hanger this year huh?!!! :) I polished the Jupiter OUTSIDE this summer... area cleanup was a snap... me on the other hand... I looked like a seasoned coal miner!!! :facepalm:

Looking forward to the ongoing progress reports man!

Jim

Thanks Jim, yup the only place to use Caswell is out doors, wearing a full hazmat suit and Darth Vader helmet :painkiller:

That was a screaming deal it is absolutely amazing how much more room the 18 footers have than the 16'. I know just cruising in the S/l was much more comfortable than cruising in Flipper. Sooner or later I would like to get out of car mode and back into doing another tinny or even finishing up S/l. But making hand over fist money doing car repairs at the moment so we go with what pays the bills.

Thanks Sig, no way I could go back to a 16 after running an 18. Paying the bills is a good thing, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do

SigSaurP229

Commander
I'd LOVE to have a 20, but then I would have to go up to like 200 Ponies or something to make it as fun as the S/l. I think a 22 probably to big. I may actually have another Tinny stuffed in the back of the shop. I actually owe a debt to a fellow Starmada member here I haven't forgotten.

Actually just bought a sewing machine as well so I can start tackling some of my own upholstery work what I have in mind for the next one is going to have a lot of custom vinyl work involved.

dozerII

Admiral
I'd LOVE to have a 20, but then I would have to go up to like 200 Ponies or something to make it as fun as the S/l. I think a 22 probably to big. I may actually have another Tinny stuffed in the back of the shop. I actually owe a debt to a fellow Starmada member here I haven't forgotten.

Actually just bought a sewing machine as well so I can start tackling some of my own upholstery work what I have in mind for the next one is going to have a lot of custom vinyl work involved.

I would like to see how a 20SS would perform compared to the SS201 I had, I didn't like it too much. Sewing definately adds another more challenges to a rebuild.

dozerII

Admiral

So after talking with Home Hardware, they tell me there is no U.S. distributor for any of there products, but as far as they know it can be shipped south of the 49th. So the best we can do for our Southern Starmadians is find a counterpart on the north side of the border that is willing to ship you some. The MSDs for the product is here http://msds.homehardware.ca/OpenRepo...p?s=139823&v=4 I'm not sure on shipping, maybe one of you wants to check into it on your side. There are Home Hardware's coast to coast in Canada.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Wow Glen you're really going at it looking good, another great rebuild coming, have to follow along.

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks John, this one is just getting a little lipstick and mascara for a year or two.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Dozer your lipstick and mascara jobs are usually better than the rest of our total makeovers.

Thanks tns, but I don't think I would go that far, there are a whole lot of very talented people on the forum.

dozerII

Admiral
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday, if the instructions on the stripper say don't let the product dry out before removal, it's for a reason.:facepalm: Last weekend I put a coat on the ports side o f the hull and then got call away, it has been a week from He&^$ at work and I never got a chance to get back at it till yesterday. Well that coat of Safe Strip turned into a thick gum that was a not going to come off with out a wack of elbow grease. I put another thick coat over top and then covered it with pallet shrink wrap, left it for 2 hours then scrapped of the gum and the paint. After another 4 hours the port side is stripped as well. I did find another way to get all the paint off from around the rivets after the bulk of the paint is removed take a 3"x3"piece of ultra fine purple 3M scotch brite with some stripper on it and go at the rivet heads they clean up remarkably easy. I do wear latex gloves to do this even though the stuff doesn't burn your hands at all.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Proofs in the pictures I know. Took her to town for a good rinse and engine and bilge shampoo.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Clean up looks good. That sucks about the extra effort on the paint stripping. I understand what it's like to be in the middle of a process and having to leave. It can throw a serious wrench in things. Glad it worked out though. The engine and bilge look pretty good. Do you think you'll have to put much extra work in getting the engine and out drive back in service?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After the trip to town for a shampoo, rinse and blow dry, you better get her polished up so the mascara and lipstick are put on straight. The dance will be here before you know it, Glen. :D

dozerII

Admiral
Clean up looks good. That sucks about the extra effort on the paint stripping. I understand what it's like to be in the middle of a process and having to leave. It can throw a serious wrench in things. Glad it worked out though. The engine and bilge look pretty good. Do you think you'll have to put much extra work in getting the engine and out drive back in service?

Yup a guy should pay attention to instructions, but it wasn't too bad. Motor and drive just need maintainance, bellows, water pump, tune-up etc.

After the trip to town for a shampoo, rinse and blow dry, you better get her polished up so the mascara and lipstick are put on straight. The dance will be here before you know it, Glen. :D

Isn't that the truth GA

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I know you're way pickier than me, dozer, but she looks pretty good fro here. I have a thing for oxidized aluminum hulls, I guess ;)

dozerII

Admiral
I know you're way pickier than me, dozer, but she looks pretty good fro here. I have a thing for oxidized aluminum hulls, I guess ;)

Thanks Chem, I was talking with Darcy the owner this afternoon after he looked and the pictures of the stripped hull and I'm sure the gleam in his eye is going to get buffed into the aluminum on this hull.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That clean frozen tin sure looks nice from here in the deep south 40 miles below BC. :lol:

The pain of stripping paint always seems to go to the back of ones mind after it's done but I remember it well.. I'm thinking the major pain of the transom is going to be a little more tricky to get cleaned up and shiney with everything still hanging on. For some reason the transom paint on the boats I've stripped is always a huge pita over the rest of the craft.

64osby

Admiral
Looking very nice Glen.

So this is Darcy's new ride yet your doing the work? Is this a paying job or something to wile away the long, dark, cold days of non summer?

dozerII

Admiral
That clean frozen tin sure looks nice from here in the deep south 40 miles below BC. :lol:

The pain of stripping paint always seems to go to the back of ones mind after it's done but I remember it well.. I'm thinking the major pain of the transom is going to be a little more tricky to get cleaned up and shiney with everything still hanging on. For some reason the transom paint on the boats I've stripped is always a huge pita over the rest of the craft.

Actually H20, if I hadn't of screwed up and let the one coat of stripper dry this would not have been a real bad job. I do agree on the transom though there is so much screwed and bolted to them it is a real PITA.

Looking very nice Glen.

So this is Darcy's new ride yet your doing the work? Is this a paying job or something to wile away the long, dark, cold days of non summer?

Thanks 64, that's correct, nope not a paying job, just something to do.

InMotion

Commander
Nice cleanup there Glen!! Looking "cool" man!!! :laugh::cool:

Some how I think that it is going to be quite difficult to resist not doing a full restore this winter/spring!!!:eek: I know I would be very tempted to get at it!

Take care and stay warm!

Jim