1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

I'm still trying to decide what to fasten the transom cap back on with "boat nails" sound as good as anything so far.

I eliminated the fasteners on both the ones I've done and just used 5200. Seems to have held up fine.

parrisw

Ensign

I eliminated the fasteners on both the ones I've done and just used 5200. Seems to have held up fine.

I agree. That's what I did, just eliminates another point of entry for water to get into the wood.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just getting a chance to see the progress, great work and good info. Love the pics. Nice idea on the 5200 for the cap, that is what makes this such a great forum. No nails no entry

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for checking my progress out guys.

I have been working on building a rear bench seat that will house 2 batteries, battery switch, & fuel filter/water seperator. Since my splashwell is so wide it would be a royal pain in the arse to fit/hide that stuff under/next to the splashwell. I am also going to make it a walk through transom/splashwell for easy boarding and exiting to the water.

I have been pondering what to do with my aluminum trim. I think I am going to have it painted red like the gunnels. That's how most of the new Starcrafts are. I not thrilled about polishing it yearly, or at all to go the natural look. I think painted would look good, and I think it would hold up OK with the kind of use the boat will get. We don't fish much and for tubeing we'd get in and out fron the back.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It's was one year yesterday that I rendered my boat unuseable. I'm glad one year later I'm headed back in the right direction.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You've been faster than I have, but I'm getting there. It's a relief to be on the downhill run, isn't it?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

One foot in front of the other man:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

It's was one year yesterday that I rendered my boat unuseable. I'm glad one year later I'm headed back in the right direction.

I know exactly how ya feel Dave, and I agree that it's good to be on the right track:D

Next summer we will be spending all of our extra cash on 50:1 fuel mix hopefully:)

The trim in red will look very sharp, good idea.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave

Great Job. I've been following your progress as well. I'm glad to hear that you're going to design a long bench for the back. I've been pondering the same for my 1968 Holiday O.B.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 0

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you tell me what your final transom worked out to be..the "extension thing" thay holds your kicker? I just bought a Panther model 40 from marinetech in MN for $470 bucks and am wondering if I shouldve saved the 470 and rigged something.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

can you tell me what your final transom worked out to be..the "extension thing" thay holds your kicker? I just bought a Panther model 40 from marinetech in MN for $470 bucks and am wondering if I shouldve saved the 470 and rigged something.

Originally, the kicker was just on a fixed homemade piece of wood that raised it up 5" above the transom. I do believe I have enough room to just hang the kicker right on the transom next to the main motor. I'll have to raise and lower it manually. That Panther bracket looks real nice.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Just an update, I seem so close to getting it painted, but yet so far. I'm trying to do everything I can now so I don't have to later after it's painted. It's the little mundane things that seem to be taking forever, then throw in a weekend away for a funeral, another for a wedding, another for a surprise birthday party, then anniversary, wife's birthday, and now my daily driver has a seriously rusted out strut mount rendering a nice reliable car useless. Frustrating!......

Things to do yet...finish new rear seat structure, this is going to hold my batteries & switch, fuel filter/seperator, and provide storage, the seat bottom is going to slide forward and allow the seat back to lay down making a larger "pad", the transom panel behind the seatback will be easily removeable to kind of make a walk thru transom. I am also working on a switch panel out of aluminum for 5 carling rocker switches and it will also have 2 power outlets, I also need to fab a panel below the dash for VHF & stereo and a small storage cubby, and also add a 2" hole in the dash for another gauge so that the dash "looks right". The rubrail and gunnel trim needs to be installed as well and i'd like to get the top of the deck epoxied.

I would like to send the main OB along for paint as well, so it needs a good cleaning, and I need to find someone who can reproduce the decals. I want to keep it original looking. A couple good weekends would get me a long way.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A little late on this, but you can also try the guy on Ebay that Jason uses for vinyl.

thebrain

Banned

Dave very nice documented project thanks for sharing the knowlegde and images.

did you concider styrofone blocks ontop of the ribs w/ truck bed coating to
waterproof it? also is the pour in foam a structuralle part of the orginale boat?

could a thick layer of plastic be used as a form for the pour in foam, pour each
section pull out then truck bed line it.

Thanks STB