1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

About a year and a half ago I bought an '05 with the 4.7 with 79k on it. Got a good deal on it but it wasn't in the greatest of shape and had or developed a number of annoying issues that would be time consuming/costly to fix. We loved the grand cherokee, just not THAT one :p So two weeks ago I traded it for an excellent condition '06 Limited with 47k miles. Oh yeah, and it has THE HEMI!!!!! So ridiculously fast!

Been a while since I've had a vehicle that can put a smile on my face at will.

Oh yeah, congrats to you on your addition to the family. I saw somewhere (FB I think), you had a girl, really like the name. My oldest daughter is named Claire Elise.....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Been a while since I've had a vehicle that can put a smile on my face at will.

Oh yeah, congrats to you on your addition to the family. I saw somewhere (FB I think), you had a girl, really like the name. My oldest daughter is named Claire Elise.....

My '12 Fusion puts a smile on my face every day as well! Despite the gas prices, I don't regret trading the 4 banger Honda on that at all.

Thanks for the congrats. She's doing well. Eats like a horse which astounds us because our son never (and still doesn't) eat.We get a lot of compliments on the name Claire, especially from older women. They generally ask if it was a family name and for us it wasn't. Just like it. My son will be going on 5 this summer and I hope to do a ton of boating/fishing/camping with him.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Good News!! I got an e-mail this morning from the lady that was going to do my seats. I haven't heard from her in a LONG time. She said tomorrow all my vinyl gets ordered, and she hopes to have my back to back's done in a few weeks. Guess I really have to get going now.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Eh Dave, are we still thinkin this sweet V5 will be a 2013 float or can we convince ya to get it dropped in this summer?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Eh Dave, are we still thinkin this sweet V5 will be a 2013 float or can we convince ya to get it dropped in this summer?

Hmmmm, it may get wet this year, but prolly won't get completely finished....I can't make any promises....:D

Then there is that award thing...when will yours be done???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

when will yours be done???

Well, officially the Jet is done though I still have a few tweaks and add on's yet. The Islander WILL be in the water THIS year. What month? Well, it might be snowing again when it happens:facepalm:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I need to make a hard push to get mine painted, then I'd feel like it would be downhill from there....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

With the checkbook getting your boat painted and the seats done, I think you can crank this out buddy! I'd guess that your bow structure/hatches would be the crux of your project from here on, eh?

Crank it out man!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Alright, I'm working on the boat. I was going to mark and drill for the bow rails tonight but after looking at them they look kind of old. Anyone ever make their own? Stainless or Aluminum? These originals are aluminum.

1114e7f7.jpg

3886fe36.jpg

c88cd7e1.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Old & tired or old style?

If their not beat & nicked up, they don't look bad: polish polish polish protect then occasionally polish & protect:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I like the shape, just would like them to look newer. Same deal with the aluminum rubrail, I'm afraid if I sand/polish the anodizing off i'll be polishing a lot. I was going to have the rubrail channels painted the boat color like the new ones are. One of the bow rail mounts (the low end) there is nothing left for the screw to hold to, basically the old screw got pulled through the mount.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a fan of the shape. I think a nice curved set would look sharper than those kinda angled ones. Unfortunately rotted glassers are the best source for rails.

jbcurt00

Staff member

The tube is damaged or the mount is damaged from the screw pulling out? If it's the tube that got damaged, you can't remove mount & shorten the tube? Reinstall the mount?

I've seen rails that someone didn't want some time in the last week. But didn't keep track, I didn't need them...... Might try & find a newer SC thread that's converting to an open bow or center console. The may not need them anymore. Actually wouldnt have to be a SC to possibly fit.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The rearward mount is what the screw pulled through. After looking at the port side, the tube is tweaked. It has an "s" shape to it. I'll have to check out my options to replace i think. My gunnel tops are all new metal so I don't have to make new one fit old holes.

EZ, you mean a rail that runs more parallel to the gunnel?

Does anyone know where I can get the seal strip that goes under the windshield and the black trim that goes into the upper channel of the windshield?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

EZ, you mean a rail that runs more parallel to the gunnel?

Yep. I'm not a fan of mine either. jasoutside sent me some low-profile ones from one of his cut up glassers which I need to install. Gotta make my mind up to drill all those holes though (and deal with all the then extra ones).

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I want to epoxy my side panels together this weekend. They are 12' long, so I had to make them out of two pieces. I was planning on scabbing them together with a scrap piece of 1/2" marine ply screwed and epoxied on the back side. Just wondering if I should put a layer of glass on the front side or not? Or, can I put a layer of glass on the front and back and call it good? Would that be strong enough? As a tinny owner my FG experience is very little.

sprintst

Commander

I glassed the front of mine even though they were one piece. I had a couple of holes that I filled with epoxy then sanded it all down and glassed it over. The glass should hold it all together and would make for a better backing when I riveted the sides in place.

When I was looking at reusing mine or rebuilding i was thinking I could take two 8 foot pieces of thinner material and overlapping the joints at alternating 4 and 8 foot intervals and epoxying the whole mess together and glassing.

There is an upholsterer here that custom bends stainless steel rail to make tops, etc. I may eventually take my rails apart and bring them in to duplicate in new stock.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

EZ made a comment a while ago about making sure the windshield fits right before painting and reassembling everything. So, my plan is to start at the front of the boat and test fit everything. Should save me time reassembling after paint and hopefully prevent some " oops, this don't fit right". I have all new wood cut for the consoles and the front bow area. I'm planning on fully mounting everything with screws before wrapping them in vinyl. Then for final assembly feeling where the holes are under he vinyl, poke a hole with an awl, and assemble wih a screw or rivet. Does this sound logical?

43b431ee.jpg

f16f8a6a.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Test fitting the windshield tonight. I was pleasantly surprised how well it lines up. It really changes the look since for 1 1/2 years I've been looking at it without it.

919cb54c.jpg

2a434d7c.jpg

2d52fc62.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That is a good fit, it looks more like a "real" boat now!